GM November 2016 Sales - Up 10%

Anthony

Big November Gains at Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Keep GM the Fastest Growing Automaker

source: media.gm.com

• November U.S. retail market share highest since 2009
  • Year to Date U.S. Retail Share up 0.5 Percentage Points
  • November Commercial sales were highest since 2008

DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) sold 197,609 vehicles in November to individual or “retail” customers in the U.S., up 8 percent from last year. Based on initial estimates, GM once again outperformed all full-line manufacturers, led by strong retail sales gains at Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. GM’s November retail sales performance drove GM’s U.S. retail share to its highest November level since 2009.

Based on initial estimates, GM’s retail market share jumped 0.3 percentage points in November to 16.8 percent. GM has gained retail market share in 17 of the past 20 months.

GM’s four U.S. brands posted strong retail sales results in November compared to last year.

• Chevrolet — up 5 percent for its best November since 2004
  • Buick — up 22 percent for its best November since 2003
  • GMC — up 9 percent for its best November since 2001
  • Cadillac — up 17 percent for its best November since 2013

GM’s total U.S. sales in November were 252,644 vehicles, up more than 10 percent from last year. All four brands outperformed the industry in November with Buick, Cadillac and GMC posting double-digit gains.

“GM’s November performance reflects the continued strength of our U.S. business. We gained profitable retail share, commercial and small business deliveries were strong and we commanded the industry’s best average transaction prices,” said Kurt McNeil, GM’s vice president of U.S. Sales Operations. “We are ahead of plan selling down our 2016 model year inventory and we expect to close out December with more retail share growth. GM is heading into 2017 in a position of strength with the planned launch of key new products, like the all-new Chevrolet Equinox, into the heart of the market.”

GM’s ATPs, which reflect retail transaction prices after sales incentives, were $35,767 in November, more than $4,000 above the industry average and ahead of last November.

Through the first 11 months of the year, GM’s U.S. retail sales were up nearly 2 percent compared to last year. GM gained 0.5 percentage points of U.S. retail market share during that timeframe, the largest retail share gain of any full-line automaker. Year to date, Chevrolet U.S. retail sales are up nearly 3 percent and the brand’s retail share has grown 0.5 percentage points to 11.1 percent. Chevrolet continues to be the U.S. industry’s fastest-growing brand.

Year to date, Buick retail deliveries have grown more than 5 percent and Buick has gained 0.1 percentage points of retail share.

GM continues to benefit from a strong U.S. economy and strong retail demand for its products.

“All economic indicators show significantly improved optimism about the U.S. economy including consumer and business sentiment, which continue to drive a very healthy U.S. auto industry,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM’s chief economist. “We believe the U.S. auto industry is well-positioned for sales to continue at or near record levels into 2017.”

November 2016 Retail Sales and Business Highlights vs. November 2015 (except as noted)

Chevrolet

• Malibu and Volt were up 24 percent and 25 percent, respectively.
  • Silverado and Colorado were up 5 percent and 39 percent, respectively.
  • Suburban, Tahoe, Equinox and Trax were up 6 percent, 12 percent, 7 percent and 47 percent, respectively.
  • Malibu had its best November since 1997.
  • Silverado had its best November since 2003.
  • Colorado had its best November since 2004.
  • Trax, Volt and Equinox had their best November ever.
  • Tahoe and Suburban had their best November since 2007.
  • 17th straight month of year over year gains for Chevrolet full-size utilities.

GMC

• Sierra and Canyon were up 14 percent and 43 percent, respectively.
  • Acadia, Yukon and Yukon XL were up 4 percent, 22 percent and 19 percent, respectively.
  • Brand ATP was at $43,887, the highest November on record.
  • Highest November ever for Denali penetration, at 27.8 percent.
  • Best November ever for Canyon and ninth month of year over year increases.
  • Yukon and Yukon XL had their best November since 2007.

Buick

• Regal and Encore were up 41 percent and 35 percent, respectively.
  • 68 percent of sales were crossovers.
  • Best year to date retail performance since 2005.

Cadillac

• Escalade was up 24 percent and had its best month of the year.
  • Escalade had its best November since 2007.
  • XT5 had its best month since launch with sales up 12 percent over last month and up 27 percent over the SRX last November, the vehicle it replaced.
  • Year to date ATP was $53,690, the highest ever in Cadillac history

Average Transaction Prices (ATP)/Incentives (based on JD Power PIN estimates)

GM’s ATPs, which reflect retail transaction prices after sales incentives, were $35,767 in November, more than $4,000 above the industry average.
In November, GM’s incentive spending as a percent of ATP was 13.7 percent, above the industry average of 12.4 percent. However, year to date, GM’s incentive spending was 11.7 percent, slightly above the industry average of 11.4 percent and well below the incentive spending of its domestic competitors and many of its global competitors.

Fleet and Commercial

• Automotive Fleet magazine named Malibu “Fleet Car of the Year”.
  • GM Fleet sales were up 19 percent versus last November.
  • Fleet sales were 22 percent of GM’s sales for the month.
  • Commercial deliveries were up 11 percent for the month and it was the best November Commercial sales since 2008.
  • Malibu Commercial deliveries were up 170 percent versus last November.
  • Small Business deliveries were up 15 percent for the month versus last November, driven by large vans, which were up 93 percent and large pickups, which were up 16 percent versus last November.
  • Federal government sales were up 9 percent versus last November.
  • Rental sales were up 27 percent versus last November but are down 25 percent CYTD, according to plan.
  • GM’s outlook on its daily rental sales mix remains in the 11 percent range of total U.S. sales for 2016 and daily rental sales for the year are expected to be down about 75,000 vehicles.

Industry Sales

• GM estimates that the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in November was approximately 17.9 million units. On a calendar year-to-date basis, GM estimates the light-vehicle SAAR was 17.5 million units.

post-6726-0-73291800-1480605832.png

post-6726-0-73291800-1480605832_thumb.png

Edited by Anthony

The ATS is a floperoo, better off just having Mid and Full size Caddy cars. Shows that Lincoln doesn't need an "MK-Focus"

But overall, GM is better off and no more "deadly sins" and "good enough for Michigan" outdated cars.

Edited by 630land

I'm still amazed by how well the expensive CT6 can sell in a showroom with so many similar and cheaper choices. Caddy is really good at selling expensive cars, they need to push that farther.

I just think it's a matter of people seeing more value in the CT6, even if it's more expensive.....they're willing to pay more for a bigger, spacious vehicle, as opposed to smaller, more cramped entries (compared to segment competitors) such as the ATS and CTS.

Buick is better off with Regal as entry level car, with sales up, finally. Verano was promoted as a 'cheap Buick' for Century owners, but the Encore is getting lots of Senior buyers.

For compacts cars and smaller, leave that market tor Chevrolet.

Edited by 630land

Buick is better off with Regal as entry level car, with sales up, finally. Verano was promoted as a 'cheap Buick' for Century owners, but the Encore is getting lots of Senior buyers.

For compacts cars and smaller, leave that market tor Chevrolet.

Agree along with Chrysler (probably Dodge) brand with today's full-size cars hitting over 30 mpg what's the point of having compacts?, let the base brand have them while still being competitive.

I'm still amazed by how well the expensive CT6 can sell in a showroom with so many similar and cheaper choices. Caddy is really good at selling expensive cars, they need to push that farther.

I have to admit when I saw the CT6 at the auto show last year, I was shocked at how much I liked it!

I also thought the same thing of the Continential.

Both replaced lame cars (XTS, MkS) so I didn't have high hopes for either, but I can say I like both of them and I liked being wrong this time.

Agree along with Chrysler (probably Dodge) brand with today's full-size cars hitting over 30 mpg what's the point of having compacts?, let the base brand have them while still being competitive.

The compacts get close to 40 mpg. With some of the impressive fuel economy numbers of the new CUVs, it could be argued what's the point of full size cars and the market seems to reflect this.

My guess is that smaller cars are more fun to drive and if more room is needed, CUVs provide that.

The CT6 has the stature and presence that people expect Cadillacs to have. Plus, Cadillac buyers want ROOM. The ATS and CTS are simply too cramped for them.

The CT6 is outselling the CTS, and is very close to the ATS in sales. Customers are sending a clear message to Cadillac regarding what they expect from the division in a passenger car.

Edited by grbeck

I do agree that big advantage of compacts is getting higher MPG, and even with cheap gas, its good to save money on long commutes.

And yeah, plain full size cars like Taurus/Impala on the way out since, why bother? If spending more, get either a truck or a luxury car.

May as well get a Continental instead of a "Taurus LTD Brougham".

I have to admit when I saw the CT6 at the auto show last year, I was shocked at how much I liked it!

I also thought the same thing of the Continential.

Both replaced lame cars (XTS, MkS) so I didn't have high hopes for either, but I can say I like both of them and I liked being wrong this time.

The CT6 is particularly nice looking from the front, but the rear of the vehicle is pretty boring.

The compacts get close to 40 mpg. With some of the impressive fuel economy numbers of the new CUVs, it could be argued what's the point of full size cars and the market seems to reflect this.

My guess is that smaller cars are more fun to drive and if more room is needed, CUVs provide that.

I get why are compact cars are still sold, the point is there's no point of a subcompact Buick or Chrysler just have a competent, small Chevy or Dodge cars instead and have small CUVs for the entry models for the premium brands.

This isn't 1976 where 13 mpg is the norm for small engine full-sizers and need compact cars for EPA concerns.

I get why are compact cars are still sold, the point is there's no point of a subcompact Buick or Chrysler just have a competent, small Chevy or Dodge cars instead and have small CUVs for the entry models for the premium brands.

This isn't 1976 where 13 mpg is the norm for small engine full-sizers and need compact cars for EPA concerns.

You can't just knock out all the cars and just build larger trucks and Utes without consequences,

the way CAFE works on the harmonic mean (not average) of the individual vehicles means

a much higher fuel economy limit would be applied..

Edited by jpd80

As I said over in the Ford thread, the big difference to me was with GM's combined full sized truck and Ute sales

at 93K versus Ford's 78K. A strong response with F Series helped close the gap on those GM's massive full

sized ute sales, 29K to Ford's ~6K shows the depth of GM sales and how Ford needs the new utes yesterday.

I don't know if this is a sales bubble or simply the market returning to pre-2005 large truck and ute sales levels.

In any regard, Ford is positioning itself to enter with class leading products next year and that will mean a good

increase in valuable large vehicles sales either way...

Edited by jpd80

You can't just knock out all the cars and just build larger trucks and Utes without consequences,

the way CAFE works on the harmonic mean (not average) of the individual vehicles means

a much higher fuel economy limit would be applied..

I didn't say KO cars, just small ones in premium brands, like Buick and Chrysler had basically done already and just make one good compact for the entire manufacturer and exploit the full-sizers and CUVs.

Buick Encore and Envision carries the entry-level vehicles while Regal is the smallest car, imo have a Park-Avenue based on CT6 for a topper and on the Chrysler side have the 300 an a larger "Imperial" with CUVs and the minivan carry the rest.

Wirh regards to GM's rwd cars, I think that GM could make better use of the Alphas as Non-Cadillacs

and replace the Alpha ATS/CTS with a new SWB Omega based CT4 to partner with CT6

The compact ATS and Mid Sized CTS would be better served as global performance vehicles

if given to Chevrolet and more importantly to Buick-Opel-Vauxhall-Holden where confronting

premium brands with true global vehicles would give GM far more purchase...

I didn't say KO cars, just small ones in premium brands, like Buick and Chrysler had basically done already and just make one good compact for the entire manufacturer and exploit the full-sizers and CUVs.

OK, I understand what you're saying but what makes sense to us doesn't with meeting regulations

and supplying customers with products that fill needs are revealed by market research.

We have both emergent trends and long term changes, the difficulty is knowing which are

permanent and which are driven simply cheap gas and what contingents you put in place

if change happen more rapidly than expected.

Buick Encore and Envision carries the entry-level vehicles while Regal is the smallest car, imo have a Park-Avenue based on CT6 for a topper and on the Chrysler side have the 300 an a larger "Imperial" with CUVs and the minivan carry the rest

I get that, Lincoln did similar by adding a compact Ute instead of a compact car and now Buick is doing similar

by withdrawing Verano...or are they positioning for another Chinese import....

and that's the key here, the cost base for cars determines whether it's worthwhile continuing or changing strategy,

FCA has none with small cars other than outsourcing them to another manufacturer while GM and Ford in particular

can move production to Mexico and stay in the game....

I think cost base is probably driving changes too, it seems that way for Ford with Fusion, Fiesta already in Mexico

and Focus set to join them, I just can't work out GM and its Lordstown plant producing Cruze and also having a

parallel plant in Mexico, effectively ripping a shift out of the former....

What ever manufacturers decide, cars in North America will never dominate the market like they once did,

so perhaps it more about seeking to provide market entries by twinnng with utility platforms and looking at

incremental products for plants...perhaps removing too many of those "bricks" means less shifts at plants

that build combined products...

GM has a lot more production capacity than Ford, i suspect that changes like you mentioned above are

under consideration for a stripped down smaller car plan but I wonder if there's competing interests

at play with maintaining production (full plants or at least two shifts) as opposed to reducing production

capacity and shuttering plants..

Edited by jpd80

As I said over in the Ford thread, the big difference to me was with GM's combined full sized truck and Ute sales

at 93K versus Ford's 78K. A strong response with F Series helped close the gap on those GM's massive full

sized ute sales, 29K to Ford's ~6K shows the depth of GM sales and how Ford needs the new utes yesterday.

I don't know if this is a sales bubble or simply the market returning to pre-2005 large truck and ute sales levels.

In any regard, Ford is positioning itself to enter with class leading products next year and that will mean a good

increase in valuable large vehicles sales either way...

Ford has some unfortunate timing with the new Full-Size utilities however, it's very likely that the market softening is going to be accelerated by rising gas prices which is going to effect that car the most. And as has been pointed out, Ford has limited capacity for Expedition, it can't compete on volume anyway. But considering the lifespan of the last Expedition, it's very likely this is the last major redesign for 12+ years so this product doesn't have to perform in the short-term since margins are high anyway.

As for GM, I think Chevy is the one worth watching just because they are very rapidly transforming and expanding their portfolio in the most aggressive timeline I have ever seen from any carmaker and they've been able to do it with minimal disruption. They certainly have an opportunity for significant growth while Ford is suffering more headwinds with aging small car products, no SUV capacity, and lack of product diversity. Ford still has room to continuing shifting its sales to F-Series with the new Super Duty.

Edited by BORG

Ford has some unfortunate timing with the new Full-Size utilities however, it's very likely that the market softening is going to be accelerated by rising gas prices which is going to effect that car the most. And as has been pointed out, Ford has limited capacity for Expedition, it can't compete on volume anyway. But considering the lifespan of the last Expedition, it's very likely this is the last major redesign for 12+ years so this product doesn't have to perform in the short-term since margins are high anyway.

At maximum capacity last year, KTP was puting out a combined 38,000 builds and while Ford cannot match

GM head to head on large SUV sales, perhaps the combined sale of F Series and fresh Expedition /Navigator

will get Ford a lot closer to GM's totals without the need for a separate SUV plant....

As for GM, I think Chevy is the one worth watching just because they are very rapidly transforming and expanding their portfolio in the most aggressive timeline I have ever seen from any carmaker and they've been able to do it with minimal disruption. They certainly have an opportunity for significant growth while Ford is suffering more headwinds with aging small car products, no SUV capacity, and lack of product diversity. Ford still has room to continuing shifting its sales to F-Series with the new Super Duty.

All of this has been accomplished in the very best of times, we all know that under optimal conditions,

GM much larger production and sales footprint via multiple brands comes into play. While the exceptional

performance of GM over the past two years are commendable, that very large production footprint could

become a huge liability if or when the market begins to soften..

The counterpoint is Ford's new SUVs will be much ligher with more efficient power trains

so the pain of increasing fule prices may not be as bad as some expect especially if Ford

offers the 3.0 V6 diesel in F150 and Expedition/Navigator.

I believe that the the large truck and SUV market will stay reasonably firm next year and that movement on

gas prices will cause less fuel anxiety than say 2007 wnen gas prices really soared and killed the large

truck and SUV lifestyle segments...I don't see a repeat of that in the next 12-18 months so oth companes

still have time to push large trucks and SUVs to the max..

Equally, all other utility segments will stay firm but car segmends will continue to be less important to buyers

we have to be careful not to over-read what transitions are occurring and when..

Priority and perspective:

1. Large trucks and Utes..staying strong..

2. Utilities..Flat but factories full.

3. Cars...sales continuing to fall maybe 5-10%

Edited by jpd80

Moving the cab and chassis trucks to OHAP allows Ford the flexibility to decrease c&c production at KTP to allow for more Expy production. Wonder if Super Duty pickup production could be split to produce some at OHAP as well for more flexibility...

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

But considering the lifespan of the last Expedition, it's very likely this is the last major redesign for 12+ years so this product doesn't have to perform in the short-term since margins are high anyway.

I thought the whole idea was they'd align it more with F-150 so that it could receive more consistently timed updates alongside F-150?