Cadillac (GM) Investor's Presentation

Anthony

Is the background within the border of the star always black, or is it not filled in? I couldn't tell for sure. I will say the current Lincoln logo is better than the old Cadillac logo though.

In presentations, buildings, brochures, etc., the center of the logo is trandsparent, so no fill inside the star's quadrants. On the vehicles, the center of the star is filled in with black:

314306deabc094241e8e108e1de104f2x.jpg

Lincoln's badge is difficult to work into a design which is why you never see it on the back of a Lincoln and they've struggled with a distinctive fascia that works with it (as did Oldsmobile and Pontiac). I do think the new fascias and grille do a fairly good job bringing a huge amount of visual attention to it's logo which is an important part of fixing it's anonymity. In some ways it's a little like Audi and Mercedes where the badge is a fundamental part of the fascia design, not just the shape of the grille (as it is on BMW). But of course that means you need allot of verticality to scale the Lincoln badge which really ties your hands a bit on design with a shield grille.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Lincoln's badge is difficult to work into a design which is why you never see it on the back of a Lincoln and they've struggled with a distinctive fascia that works with it (as did Oldsmobile and Pontiac). I do think the new fascias and grille do a fairly good job bringing a huge amount of visual attention to it's logo which is an important part of fixing it's anonymity. In some ways it's a little like Audi and Mercedes where the badge is a fundamental part of the fascia design, not just the shape of the grille (as it is on BMW). But of course that means you need allot of verticality to scale the Lincoln badge which really ties your hands a bit on design with a shield grille.

Unless Lincoln was prepared to go even bigger with the front grille, a bit like Arts and Science in a way

so it could use an even bigger lincoln emblem in the center......that may be a bit too far in the love-hate

element polarizing an already small audience of buyers...

I like the new Lincoln front but really wish that had been the new language for Ford brand,

change the infill to honeycomb pattern and add a nice big blue oval.

I'm mostly indifferent to the Lincoln grille, it's probably my least favorite design from them in decades but I think it should act less as a barrier to the brand for most people. I'm looking for something a little more distinct and progressive but I understand Lincoln is focusing primarily on evoking a sense of traditional sedate luxury.

Ford has a very distinctive look but it has to be polarizing, in some designs it looks great like the Fusion, in others it looks incredibly bad like the Fiesta. I'm curious to see where they go from here with it, I assume they'll likely ditch it altogether like the 3-bar grille. Ford does like to create very distinctive fascias more than anybody outside of the luxury car world, which can be a blessing and a curse. I do think Ford has to figure out a better design language for their Crossovers fascias, especially Escape, Edge, and the GOD AWFUL EcoSport (candidate for ugliest car in America). The Explorer is done well.

Edited by BORG

I think vertical logos are somewhat harder to work with rather than horizontally based ones. Placement on vehicles (other than the grille) results in awkward resizing which makes the logo hard to make out.

Trying to think: who else has a vertical logo?

Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Porsche, Maserati all have vertical proportioned logos, but none that with as high (or low?) of an aspect ratio as Lincoln.

Lots of oval logos in this business.