Auto line reporting Jeep Grand Wagoneer Cancelled

Anthony

AutoBlog has finally picked up on this, albeit with a heavy does of skepticism: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/30/jeep-grand-wagoneer-cancelled-rumor/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

This just doesn't seem to add up. Autoline Daily is reporting that plans for a new top Jeep, a reimagined Grand Wagoneer to sit above the Grand Cherokee, have been scrapped. The info comes from Auto Forecast Solutions, an industry analyst company.

The report (the one that says the thing has been cancelled) also says FCA might regroup and build the GW as a body-on-frame SUV on the Ram 1500 platform. That also seems unlikely, since this is supposed to be a luxurious, refined vehicle that's nicer than the Grand Cherokee. It would be tough to accomplish all of that with a ladder frame underneath, and it's just not the way the industry is going, let alone the Jeep brand. We'll keep an eye on this one.

As far as I know, the next-gen utility program being developed along with the next Ram pickup is firmly where things stand. This could have left the proposed Grand Wagoneer as a product launched late in one cycle and shortly before the onset of another.... it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't make the numbers work.

However, I don't understand why the Durango wasn't scrapped and reworked as a 7-seat Grand Cherokee back when it was first proposed. It's been obvious since day 1 that Durango wasn't going to be a major volume player in the segment, and lately Jeep has had no trouble selling anything with a 7-slot grille and an upside-down "if you can read this" bumper sticker... This seemed like such a no-brainer.

AutoBlog has finally picked up on this, albeit with a heavy does of skepticism: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/30/jeep-grand-wagoneer-cancelled-rumor/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

As far as I know, the next-gen utility program being developed along with the next Ram pickup is firmly where things stand. This could have left the proposed Grand Wagoneer as a product launched late in one cycle and shortly before the onset of another.... it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't make the numbers work.

However, I don't understand why the Durango wasn't scrapped and reworked as a 7-seat Grand Cherokee back when it was first proposed. It's been obvious since day 1 that Durango wasn't going to be a major volume player in the segment, and lately Jeep has had no trouble selling anything with a 7-slot grille and an upside-down "if you can read this" bumper sticker... This seemed like such a no-brainer.

Allpar insiders are saying it will still be intro'ed at next year's NY Auto Show. So who knows? The fact that there is very limited press on this makes me think it could go either way.

Yeah, development of a product supposedly 2 years from launch is "on hold" ... I still trust what I'm hearing from a couple guys: The Wagoneer as first envisioned is dead, not on-hold. The 3-row SUV under development with the NG truck and utility program is very much alive. It remains to be seen if the company lives long enough to introduce, let alone produce, the thing.

more details: http://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/jeep-grand-wagoneer-not-dead-still-hold

Though the guys on Allpar still say nothing to worry about.

I was going to say that reading in-between the lines on this shows to me that there are some serious problems at FCA (which doesn't surprise me one bit either)...I seriously doubt there will be much of a company left in the next 5 years, if not sooner, depending on how bad the next down turn will be in the next 12-24 months.

Not quite sure how they can right that ship...I'm pretty sure the current route isn't going to work.

I was going to say that reading in-between the lines on this shows to me that there are some serious problems at FCA (which doesn't surprise me one bit either)...I seriously doubt there will be much of a company left in the next 5 years, if not sooner, depending on how bad the next down turn will be in the next 12-24 months.

Not quite sure how they can right that ship...I'm pretty sure the current route isn't going to work.

Agreed. They are swimming in debt and they are only making a small profit in a great market. The slightest downturn would seriously damage them and a recession would nuke them completely.

I think the only question now is who will be Jeep's new owners. (Ram would probably be going with Jeep as they have the same dealer network.)

Google or some other "self driving" car company will probably take the Pacifica so they don't have to spend the cash on a car platform.

So the decision to cancel Grand Wagoneer is not so much that the platform couldn't handle a large SUV (it clearly does because the current version already spawned Durango and GLS). It all comes down to FCA not having enough cash to retool the plants necessary to have the capacity to make the Grand Wagoneer.

That's really crazy when you think about it... all that money sunk into Alfa Romeo with questionable business case while a sure fire Jeep product gets canned.

• Like 3

All the car rags and arm chair road racers online [TTAC] are going ga-ga over the Alfa Giulia's STATS, and haven't actually driven one. Going on and on about how 'sweet handling' Italian cars are and "don't worry about reliability, just lease it!".

The base 'Julie' will not have a stick, and all these car guy web posters are saying "I'd get one if it had a stick..." Yeah right, just as they "bought" all the manual sedans and wagons available 10-20 years ago.

Pete D. is right all along about Sergio, touting Alfa as 'coming soon' and "will be the next Audi". But really just looking to sell Jeep/Ram to China or whoever, and get book deals about how he "saved Jeep".

The whole "$100K Jeep coming" stories are click bait

• Like 1