Auto line reporting Jeep Grand Wagoneer Cancelled

Anthony

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/autolinedaily/2016/11/23/ad-1994-new-jeep-grand-wagoneer-cancelled-vw-axes-us-diesels-borgwarner-electrifies-business

From podcast:

The Jeep brand keeps expanding its lineup into new segments and it had plans to move more upscale, moving a whole segment above the Grand Cherokee. But now Autoforecast Solutions reports that plans for the 2019 Jeep Grand Wagoneer have been cancelled. The problem seems to be that the architecture for the Grand Cherokee, which is also shared by the Dodge Durango, simply cannot accommodate a vehicle that is a full segment size larger. The solution may be to build the Grand Wagoneer off the Ram pickup platform instead. The most expensive Jeep now is the SRT Grand Cherokee, which costs about $65,000. Jeep sees the opportunity to go further upscale than that.

As of right now, they are the only ones reporting this, so no verification of this.

I heard that they were having trouble making this work as recently as that presentation that showed the shadowed front and rear clips, but that the directive from on high had been to, quote, "make it work."

Remember the couple times they floated out the possible pricepoint for this thing? I was told that was a trial balloon to see if they could get what they needed to out of this for it to make sense.

My understanding was that the Wagoner would be designed to compete with the Escalade and Navigator, not Tahoe and Expy.

Maybe they did the math and decided neither segment would pay out on potential volume.

When has that stopped them before?

Or rather when have they had realistic math?

• Like 1

Autoline isn't typically one to whiff these things.... Interesting.

I'm thinking the same thing. This isn't something they pull out of thin air. Sometimes the "insiders" aren't as inside as they think they are.

...and in the case of FCA, directions change more often than the wind.

I'm thinking the same thing. This isn't something they pull out of thin air. Sometimes the "insiders" aren't as inside as they think they are.

...and in the case of FCA, directions change more often than the wind.

Thinking back a little bit, Autoline doesn't typically stick their neck out at all on things that aren't pretty well solidified. They seem to favor industry news and press releases to insider tips and rumors.

I wouldn't write this off. IIRC, they were among the first to report the imminent closure of Mercury, when all of the usual sources, mine included, insisted that it wasn't happening.

The folks on allpar are fiercely loyal to Chrysler, even when it appears to be a sinking ship. Chrysler has made so many mistakes since 1957 it's hard to believe it keeps on surviving.

Chrysler has remarkable timing with the successes they have had. Usually rescuing them from the jaws of bankruptcy at the last minute. I don't see anything on the horizon that will pull them out this time. In an increasingly environmentally focused industry, Jeep and Ram cannot be the only forward-moving portions of the company.

• Like 1

I tried having a conversation about this on Allpar, but they are never wrong about anything and just shut you out if you have contradictory opinions.

Regardless, I sent some feelers out to other news orgs to do some vetting. I'm curious how this is shaping up.

• Like 1

I don't think this story is true at all. The reasoning is illogical. The existing Durango is the already one size bigger than Grand Cheorkee and we know Mercedes GLS is also the same size. There is nothing there to suggest the next gen design wouldn't be able to accommodate the parameters of a Wangoneer (which is basically direct replacement for Durango).

I suspect what is going on is that the LWB ultra-lux Wagoneer (i.e. something similar to LWB Range Rover) has been cancelled... probably due to someone coming to their senses that $150k Jeep is unattainable, at least not in the immediate future. However, I still fully expect the 3-row Wangoneer based on the new Grand Cherokee platform to appear soon. This $60k~$100k space is ripe for the taking for Jeep.