2017 Mazda CX-5 Debuts

rmc523

2-all-new-cx-5-studio-na-4-1.jpg

2-all-new-cx-5-studio-na-3-1.jpg

4-all-new-cx-5-interior-na-1-1.jpg

From the outside it's obvious the design is all new, and not just because of the stunning Soul Red Crystal paint. The front of the SUV looks nearly identical to that of the CX-9's. Gone is the cutesy, roundish face in favor of a more angular theme. The headlights are slimmer, while the grille ditches the horizontal bars for a mesh pattern. Mazda calls the design theme Kodo - soul of motion, and the original 2013 CX-5 was the first production model under this mantra.

The changes at the back are less drastic than the CX-5's new beak. The black trim that underlines the rear fascia is less prominent and the taillights looks leaner, but it's harder to tell the differences between the old and new model.

Mazda say the CX-5 will come with three available engine: the Skyactiv 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter gasoline engines and the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel. We don't have specifics on power an torque yet, but in the old CX-5 (and current Mazda 3) the 2.0-liter engine puts out 155 horsepower, while the 2.5-liter four-cylinder generated 184 horsepower. We expect for front- and all-wheel-drive option, and of course we're hoping that the six-speed manual (previously on the base, front-drive model only) stays around as an alternative to the six-speed automatic.

More at link: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/2017-mazda-cx-5-new-red-la-auto-show-837/

• Like 1

I'm not convinced that Mazda will sell the diesel CX-5 in North America,

the issue is not technical, it's how many buyers will actually buy it.

we see a lot of splash reports over outstanding fuel economy with diesel SUVs

like the new Equinox but I wonder how many buyers will take up the challenge and

pay the premium for added fuel economy, most buyers expect that as standard supply.

• 4 weeks later...

https://carsoid.com/2017-mazda-cx-5/

2017 Mazda CX-5 Test Drive Update 12/08/2016:

Finally, test drive reports about 2017 Mazda CX-5 are pouring in, and we are glad to say that most comments are very positive for this five-passenger compact SUV. The vehicle in question was equipped with the most powerful option in the lineup, the 2.5-liter I4 engine that produces respective 184 hp.

2017-Mazda-CX-5-Featured-660x300.jpg

There is nothing upscale or luxury about it. If Ford did the same design you'd be bitching about it.

If Ford did the same design my face would melt off in shock, particularly the interior. To get something like this at Ford you'd have pay twice as much and buy a Lincoln and it still doesn't look as good. The Escape is the exact opposite of this vehicle from it's odd proportions to it's cheap, fussy, and hard plastic interior with a million uneven panel gaps and surfaces. It's the very antithesis of modern luxury. If Pontiac were alive today it would look like an Escape interior.

2017%20Ford%20Escape%20Full%20Interior%24-all-new-cx-5-interior-na-1-1.jpg

Edited by BORG

My sister has the CX5, previous to this update. She has the 1.5L EB in it. When she was in town, I was able to take it for a test ride. I found it cheaper feeling in every way compared to my 2013 Escape. Engine and interior. Engine is no surprise since I have the 2.0 EB.

I haven't personally seen then new CX5 yet though.

If Ford did the same design my face would melt off in shock, particularly the interior. To get something like this at Ford you'd have pay twice as much and buy a Lincoln and it still doesn't look as good. The Escape is the exact opposite of this vehicle from it's odd proportions to it's cheap, fussy, and hard plastic interior with a million uneven panel gaps and surfaces. It's the very antithesis of modern luxury. If Pontiac were alive today it would look like an Escape interior.

2017%20Ford%20Escape%20Full%20Interior%24-all-new-cx-5-interior-na-1-1.jpg

Are you basing this assessment on pictures?

My sister was looking at a CX-5 and I liked it better than I thought I would. I believe the stick is no longer offered, or if it is, only on the lowest trims.

I would much prefer a stick, but it would be a hard choice for me if I had to choose between a cheap stripper with a stick or getting a nicer trim with everything I wanted and an auto. Would probably partly depend on auto technology and execution since not all autos are created equal.