GM cutting production at 2 plants

fuzzymoomoo

Anti-American gets tossed around casually like "racism" and "Hitler", when in reality everybody with strong beliefs has them because they love their country and it's great we have impassioned political activism. We live in turmoil because we must not settle.

Edited by BORG

Uh, the Fusion never left Mexico....

You're right, no production in the US on that one either.

You are both wrong....Ford makes Fusion at Flat Rock AND Hermosillo

https://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/flat-rock-assembly-plant.html

Production History

Current products: Lincoln Continental and Ford Fusion

Year opened: 1987

Site size in acres: 400

Plant size in square feet: 2,974,000

Edited by twintornados

You are both wrong....Ford makes Fusion at Flat Rock AND Hermosillo

https://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/flat-rock-assembly-plant.html

I thought they recently stopped Fusion production at Flat Rock - the below page says that Mustang and Continental are current models and Fusion is a past model.

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/plants/na/flat-rock.html

I thought they recently stopped Fusion production at Flat Rock - the below page says that Mustang and Continental are current models and Fusion is a past model.

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/plants/na/flat-rock.html

Ford dropped Fusion production from Flat Rock.

Makes you wonder which page is right....both pages are run by Ford.

Makes you wonder which page is right....both pages are run by Ford.

The first link to Flat Rock, states Production History, not current production.

Just back on topic,

I wonder if production cuts at those two GM plants are just the beginning,

plants immediate suffering overproduction are dealt with first but surely,

more plants will suffer from over production through winter.......

Like over at Ford, I see their car sales continuing to take a real beating....

Edited by jpd80

Ford is adding allot of production capacity with the Mexican plant, I don't know how they are going to keep all of these factories running but they must be planning a huge sales increase with the new products or exporting.

Edited by BORG

Ford is adding allot of production capacity with the Mexican plant, I don't know how they are going to keep all of these factories running but they must be planning a huge sales increase with the new products or exporting.

The New Mexican plant will be able to export to South America and the other products are either new niche products or overflow. It's replacing MAP that is getting two brand new products. It's not like it's adding production to MAP if it was still making foci

The production capacity being quoted is the maximum after all expansions,

the plants will most likely start production at much lower levels and grow as needed.

When Cauautitlan was being converted to Fiesta the combined maximum production

of it and Hermosillo was 500,000 cars.....

Link to 2008 article...

The total investment is expected to increase Ford of Mexico's annual production to nearly 500,000 vehicles and 330,000 engines by 2012,

with nearly 80 percent of the vehicles and most of the engines slated for the North American market.

Today, Cuautitlán Assembly Plant makes trucks for the Mexican market, ranging from the Ford F-150 to the F-550.

To meet future demand, trucks for Mexico will be imported from the U.S., making room for a new generation of

small cars that are stylish and fun to drive.

The New Mexican plant will be able to export to South America and the other products are either new niche products or overflow. It's replacing MAP that is getting two brand new products. It's not like it's adding production to MAP if it was still making foci

South America is Blocking Mexico from dumping massive vehicle amounts in its countries,

they are protecting their own manufacturing plants so any exports will be of a smaller

number than most expect...

Edited by jpd80

Anti-American gets tossed around casually like "racism" and "Hitler", when in reality everybody with strong beliefs has them because they love their country and it's great we have impassioned political activism. We live in turmoil because we must not settle.

This might be one of the dumbest posts you have made. If moving to Spain because you didn't like the outcome of an election isn't anti-American, I'm not sure what is. Explain to me how that shows love for one's country. That actually sounds like abandonment of one's country.

The American way would be to engage in the political process and bring a candidate to the table that the majority of Americans would want to vote for over the other party's candidate.

I don't recall anybody from the conservative side making rediculous statements about moving out of the country, throwing temper tantrums, protesting/rioting, because they didn't like the outcome of the last two elections, certainly not to the extent that we have seen in the last few days.

You accept it and move on to the next opportunity to affect change.

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

Reality is that buyers will unload their wallets for a truck, but for a new car they grind to the last penny. How can they make any money on them? DCX killed off their small cars. I'm sure GM is nest to 'move' smaller cars south.

And if Fords get "taxed", then all consumer goods from others countries should be also. But with our "Wal Mart driven buyers", they want to pay dirt cheap for goods, but then complain about plants moving.

Reality is that buyers will unload their wallets for a truck, but for a new car they grind to the last penny. How can they make any money on them? DCX killed off their small cars. I'm sure GM is nest to 'move' smaller cars south.

And if Fords get "taxed", then all consumer goods from others countries should be also. But with our "Wal Mart driven buyers", they want to pay dirt cheap for goods, but then complain about plants moving.

All car makers will need to make their car platforms subservient to the Utlity side of the business,

unless they are twinned together in combined facilities, I just don't see the cars being viable.

In that resect, Chicago AP shows how Ford transitioned from Taurus to Explorer as the major product

but still found room for both while steadily adjusting the production balance to market demand for both.

The new Alfa CUV looks quite a lot like a 5 door hatch, to me. I can see a morphing coming. And yeah, the Utes will have to be priority since they "get people to empty wallets".

Anyway, GM has newer cars online, but some say that "all new cars tomorrow" will cure Ford. What is their excuse for GM cutting car production?

The new Alfa CUV looks quite a lot like a 5 door hatch, to me. I can see a morphing coming. And yeah, the Utes will have to be priority since they "get people to empty wallets".

Anyway, GM has newer cars online, but some say that "all new cars tomorrow" will cure Ford. What is their excuse for GM cutting car production?

exactly, GM now has new Cruze inventory at over 69K, three times as much as Focus inventory,

talk about setting up a new product to be short sold with massive incentives.

I smell a gigantic dump coming.....fleets that is.:)

• Like 1

It's also a lesson to the industry and onlookers that introducing a new model does not guarantee success.

All the crap about GM's newer cars weathering the storm better is being disproved, if the market s down

you can't effectively pump prime sales with new products or higher incentives, you just pull forward sales.

Edited by jpd80

This might be one of the dumbest posts you have made. If moving to Spain because you didn't like the outcome of an election isn't anti-American, I'm not sure what is. Explain to me how that shows love for one's country. That actually sounds like abandonment of one's country.

The American way would be to engage in the political process and bring a candidate to the table that the majority of Americans would want to vote for over the other party's candidate.

I don't recall anybody from the conservative side making rediculous statements about moving out of the country, throwing temper tantrums, protesting/rioting, because they didn't like the outcome of the last two elections, certainly not to the extent that we have seen in the last few days.

You accept it and move on to the next opportunity to affect change.

I'm pretty sure any Democrat is Anti-American to those on the right. My elderly Jewish Grandmother was once told by a White Supremacist that Jews were Anti-American because they vote liberal. It's really just code language at this point for the right so as soon as I hear it used like this, I know where that person stands politically. It's just a way of turning proud Americans into enemies if they don't support the right agenda, it's language that divides and destroys, never unifies or strengthens. The goal is to ultimately limit and define "America" under a specific right-leaning vision which to me is fascism and the very definition of "Anti American".

And see, I didn't have to call you dumb for voicing your opinion, this is America after all.

Edited by BORG