GM cutting production at 2 plants

fuzzymoomoo

bbbbbbbbuuuuuutttttt the Cruze is selling so well vs the Focus!

I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but isn't the MKZ outselling the ATS or CTS?

It's been outselling both individually for a while. I think it's getting close to outselling both combined consistently.

Edited by rmc523

We knew that this was going to happen, Camaro inventory could be up to 40,000 by then .... :doh:

Cruze, GM has tow plants feeding the market here and in Mexico, it's obvious something had to give

and I'm surprised actually that Lordstown got the thumbs up for NG Cruze production, surely Mexico

could handle the lot..

It's probably wise to retain production in the US considering the uncertainty following the election, Ford is in a very precarious place with so much production exclusive to Mexico. It's probably another 'headwind' to be very concerned about with Ford's future.

Edited by BORG

It's probably wise to retain production in the US considering the uncertainty following the election, Ford is in a very precarious place with so much production exclusive to Mexico. It's probably another 'headwind' to be very concerned about with Ford's future.

....wow

Exclusive production in Mexico? 3 products amongst 2 plants, soon it will be 3 plants. Meanwhile here back at home there's 7 plants building THE REST OF THE F*****G LINEUP....

Seriously dude, fact check yourself. I (and I'm sure others here) am getting tired of calling out and correcting your patently false statements. Do some research FFS.

• Like 1

....wow

Exclusive production in Mexico? 3 products amongst 2 plants, soon it will be 3 plants. Meanwhile here back at home there's 7 plants building THE REST OF THE F*****G LINEUP....

Seriously dude, fact check yourself. I (and I'm sure others here) am getting tired of calling out and correcting your patently false statements. Do some research FFS.

Fusion, MKZ, MKC, Focus, Fiesta, C-Max replacement and then some (EcoSport?) by 2020.

So 3 products and 2 plants you say? Did you do your research on that? Tell me how much volume that is while you're at it since you've done your research.

MKC is leaving the US according to the UAW contract, and it doesn't appear in the CAW contract either, so Mexico it is unless it's being imported from China...certainly possible. Ford's manufacturing future is completely reliant on Mexico and we know Ford is the poster child for tearing up NAFTA by our new President. I'm sure it's just fine since both parties supported NAFTA but it is a campaign promise and Ford was a repeated target.

Anyway...I await your well researched report.

Edited by BORG

Anyway...I await your well researched report.

Here's your well researched report:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/04/26/ford-invests-in-us-plants.pdf

Ford has invested $12 billion in its U.S. plants and created a total of nearly 28,000 U.S. jobs in the past five years.

“We are proud that Ford employs more hourly workers and builds more vehicles in the United States than any other automaker,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president, The Americas. “We are committed to manufacturing in the United States, as we have been for more than 100 years.”

• Like 1

How does this relate to Ford's growing Mexico production dependency on key models?

Hey, I'm completely on Ford's side here, I think they have a brilliant and tidy production strategy as I've said COUNTLESS times. It certainly didn't matter in the campaigning and it doesn't leave Ford any less vulnerable to an anti NAFTA president who has been picking on them nonstop even after Field's tried talking him down.

I certainly understand why this becomes a flashpoint because those jobs weren't created here, and you certainly can't respond by "Just be glad we are keeping your jobs up here by expanding cheaper labor down there".

Edited by BORG

Better late than never. Question is are they cutting back enough?

Yes, GM has been pretty responsive with production planning and adjustments in the past year or so. As mentioned in the article, they cut production at the Lansing plant in 2015, added a shift at that plant to accommodate new product launch (Camaro), and are cutting back again in January 2017.

As for Lordstown, I agree with jpd80 that remaining New Cruze production at that plant coupled with production at Ramos Arizpe, Rosario, and Shenyang can meet demand for the car globally.

How does this relate to Ford's growing Mexico production dependency on key models?

Hey, I'm completely on Ford's side here, I think they have a brilliant and tidy production strategy as I've said COUNTLESS times. It certainly didn't matter in the campaigning and it doesn't leave Ford any less vulnerable to an anti NAFTA president who has been picking on them nonstop even after Field's tried talking him down.

I certainly understand why this becomes a flashpoint because those jobs weren't created here, and you certainly can't respond by "Just be glad we are keeping your jobs up here by expanding cheaper labor down there".

I would hardly call Fiesta (and soon Focus and C-Max) "key products", especially here in North America.

I might be union, but I'm not ignorant or sheepish enough to be unaware of the advantages of Mexican production, and I certainly don't like the Focus moving since it could potentially directly cost me my job despite what Mark Fields says.

The truth remains that Ford has 2 assembly plants, with a third opening soon in Mexico, as well as an engine plant with a second one opening soon. Meanwhile here there's 8 assembly plants (I mis counted yesterday), as well as 4 engine plants, almost all of which make far more profitable products than the plants down in Mexico, even with the difference in labor costs.