New Ford 7.0 L....?

The 12th Gen F-150 guys with the 6.2 absolutely love that mill. I don't recall the numbers exactly, but it's significantly detuned in the SuperDuties, presumably for the different duty cycles, so it wouldn't be entirely surprising if it didn't have as good of a reputation.

Back then it was basically the same tune as in F150 but different rating for Super Duty.

It had less torque and power, presumably trading the high end for a flatter torque curve and more torque lower in the revs.

Same engine power and torque but rated differently in Super Duty versus F150

that's why the figures appear to be lower in the Super Dutys.(for sustained power delivery).

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Ah, must have been something that changed when they upped power to 460 hp.

Redline increased by 500 to 7500 rpm. The heads and cams are also new along with larger valves and the TiVCT was modified on the exhaust side. The compression ratio was bumped from 11:1 to 12:1.

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/a-peek-inside-the-2018-mustangs-gen-3-coyote-engine/

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how they position the new motor. I can't believe they're going to just hand it out as the base engine in every fleet special F-250 sold. But then that brings up the question of what else could the base engine be? That one document somebody posted in the other thread says 6.2L is going away.....

I'm going to cry if the new 7.3 is limited to strictly replacing the current V10 applications.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

And that's the thing, the 7.3 was always planned as a Medum Duty engine that replaces the 6.8 V10.

So I'd be expecting that it will be an option on F350 and up like the 6.8 V10 once was..

Look at the drop off in gasoline sales

F250....50%

F350....25%

F450...NA

F550..NA

F650...majority of sales

F750...small sales - exclusively diesel?

Maybe Ford sees a lot more gasoline sales in F350 to F650

Edited by jpd80

And that's the thing, the 7.3 was always planned as a Medum Duty engine that replaces the 6.8 V10.

So I'd be expecting that it will be an option on F350 and up like the 6.8 V10 once was..

Look at the drop off in gasoline sales

F250....50%

F350....25%

F450...NA

F550..NA

F650...majority of sales

F750...small sales - exclusively diesel?

Maybe Ford sees a lot more gasoline sales in F350 to F650

On a percentage basis I would say 650 and 750. There IS no gas conventional competition there now and the 7.3 will bring more diesel customers in who are done with the diesel premium. As for the other classes, is the 6.2 that uncompetitive now?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be cool if Ford introduced this engine at a trade show and/or SEMA. This could be pretty epic if they do it right.

Well if it is truly intended for commercial applications and in particular class 6 and 7, I think next big event is the Work Truck Show March 5-8 in Indianapolis. I would hope it is sooner as class 6 and 7 need a shot in the arm -that is if it is not too late and Hatchett has already decided that in addition to cars being a thing of the past, "commercial truck leadership" means class 1-3!

• Like 1

Well if it is truly intended for commercial applications and in particular class 6 and 7, I think next big event is the Work Truck Show March 5-8 in Indianapolis. I would hope it is sooner as class 6 and 7 need a shot in the arm -that is if it is not too late and Hatchett has already decided that in addition to cars being a thing of the past, "commercial truck leadership" means class 1-3!

If this is indeed even being given the light of day or even worthy of consideration/discussion by hatchett then ford should just position itself as a class 2 manufacturing company and never again should ford be considerd anything other than a light duty alternative to ram or chebby....

Edited by snooter