Swappable Center Console / Seat

meyeste

I am one that personally doesn't like larger center consoles, especially in a Truck or SUV. Not that I want a dial to control the transmission - lever of some sort should select gears. I own an older F150 Lariat that has front bucket seats however the console is built so that it doesn't protrude forward of the front seats, shifter is on the column. This allows me to slide over to get out of the passenger side should I park in a tight spot or once found myself in a situation where getting out of the passenger side likely prevented the truck from rolling. I really like this set up, though sometimes would like to have a seat in the middle, at no time am I ever thinking "I wish I had a huge center console with the auto shifter on the floor". So my wish item is a center console like my F150 has that is "swappable" with a seat, allow three configurations - either the console is there, a seat is there or have nothing there at all.

My reason is this, I see primarily see all vehicles as transportation and having kids and friends for that matter, sometimes there is a need to haul as many people as possible, so being able to convert my truck into a six passenger vehicle now and then would really be nice. Also not having either the console or the seat there at all would also come in handy now and then.

I understand the F150 is available with a bench seat in the Lariat trim and likely that is what I'll get (one of these days...). However IMO Ford ought to think about the swappable console / seat for the front & second row as an option for all vehicles with room - Explorer, F150, Expedition.

Edited by meyeste

How do you propose your seat work with the airbags?

That's why you don't see benches anymore.

Ah really you can't get a bench front seat any more, is that what you are saying? A front bench comes standard on an F150 for the XL, XLT and Lariat models, standard on the XL and XLT for F250 and up. Though would be nice if this option were present for the Explorer and Expedition, not so much that the Expedition needs more seating, as it doesn't however why the huge center console? Anyone that really uses these off-road - not necessarily off roading per se, just has to go off road would appreciate the "slide over capability".

If one were to actually read what I posted, one would understand this wish list item is not "I wish they'd bring back bench seats...." no it's adding flexibility to that configuration, either center console that does not extend forward of the front seat cushions or a middle seat could be put in. Of course another option would be not to have either - simply any empty area between the two, which would also be useful now and then.

Edited by meyeste