Car and Driver MKZ 3.0 Review

That's a ridiculous statement. They share a platform but they have unique sheetmetal, interiors, suspensions, drivetrains and many other features

That was true for the Mercury Milan and the old Zephyr/MKZ that were truly rebadges but this is simply platform sharing.

Is the R8 Audi's version of the Lambo Gallardo?

Is the Cayenne Porsche's version of the VW Tourareg?

Is the ATS Chevy's version of the Camaro?

The LS and S type, other than looks and interior, were very very similar mechanically. They were essentially the same car. The engines tunes were different because Ford couldn't have Lincoln stepping on Jags toes. I think jaguar even decided to round up and say 4.0 liter V8 and Lincoln had 3.9 (if my memory serves me correctly). Both were the same smooth, coil pack and head gasket eating engine. Put them on a lift side by side and you will see they are almost identical (suspension and all).

I think we can all agree that Ford did not badge engineer the MKZ, like some of the earlier generations. In my opinion,the only place I think the really screwed the pooch is not putting the 2.3 as the base engine, yet even further differentiating the two and even that is somewhat minor. They did what they needed to differentiate the two cars that share the same platform. Now, will the MKZ have it's faults? I would expect some and areas that need additional work. However, if a reviewer starts a review by going on a tangent about a Fusion parts bin car and then gripes about tire selection, I am not going to take it seriously. What is good for Lexus and Audi, can be good for Lincoln too so no need to shame!

• Like 1

The LS and S type, other than looks and interior, were very very similar mechanically. They were essentially the same car. The engines tunes were different because Ford couldn't have Lincoln stepping on Jags toes. I think jaguar even decided to round up and say 4.0 liter V8 and Lincoln had 3.9 (if my memory serves me correctly). Both were the same smooth, coil pack and head gasket eating engine. Put them on a lift side by side and you will see they are almost identical (suspension and all).

Of course they were SIMILAR - they shared the same platform. But the sheetmetal and interiors were completely different as were the engine heads and intakes and I believe the PCM.

And there was no "rounding up" on the displacement - the LS had a 85mm stroke while the Jag had a 86mm stroke which accounted for the difference between 3.9 and 4.0 displacement. Was that done on purpose for marketing reasons? Of course but it was a real physical difference.

To me you guys are talking about rebadges, not platform sharing.

• Like 1

The guys who live in the north with performance package SHOs usually have 2 complete sets of tires/rims. The good news is that both last longer since they are only used part time. The bad news is having 4 tires/rims sitting around all the time. Personally, I would just run all season tires but lots of my SHO friends do the switcheroo.

Nah, I just run Conti DWS all-season tires...the extra performance you might get out of summer tires isn't going to make much, if any improvement if you're just driving it on the street all the time. I'd prefer the convenience of not having to have two sets of tires to worry about.