Car and Driver MKZ 3.0 Review

For years GMs crappy cars get a big power increase to make up for all other shortcomings and it's "bang for your buck" . Ford shares platform with a good car, doesn't share much in terms of material or sheet metal plus puts a unique 400hp engine and adds black label that no one else is doing and gets blasted because its not a overpriced under equipped BMW.

• Like 2

Do you know the strange thing?

The MKZ actually gives up significant head room compared to the Fusion,

something that always confused me, it's like Ford used the Mondeo hatchback silhouette

with its lower sleeker roof line but made it into a sedan....

Something else I noticed,

The interior hip and shoulder widths between MKZ and Continental are barely an inch

with Continental getting an extra four inches of rear leg room.

I would have thought that the Continental would have been a lot wider internally than the MKZ...

Nearly $60 grand for a Ford Fusion based car styled, as C&D says, to resemble a "Jaguar XJ that’s been squished in a panini press"? That's kinda steep considering an actual Jaguar, the XF S, goes for $63,695.

cgslide1_xf_k17_a-xfsus.jpg

Looks like reviewers everywhere love the new Lincoln 3.0L turbo V6 engine. It sure sounds nice in the video BORG posted here. http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62275-2017-mkz-30t-pov-drive/

I was guessing it would be a bit quicker than 4.8sec, but still otherwise is good numbers. Yes a fully optioned one will hit $60K, thats a hard pill for some to swallow considering it's still essentially a Fusion platform, and $42K might be a good price, but $20K worth of options, does not make for a luxury car, and finding that combination might not be as easy. Then you have the Jag, naturally being more sporty with a tad less HP for around the same price with just a few option packages.

I seriously don't get all of the confusion about the tires. It's pretty clear to anyone who has done ANY research that there is this option for the 3.0T called the drivers package. It will get those 19's with summer tires ( Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires....I am not sure). That is the only model to get those wheels. Now if Car and Driver is trying to infer that they took the wheels from a MKZ with the drivers package and slapped it on a non drivers package car, they do a terrible job of explaining it. Wouldn't they have gotten a list of options (window sticker) that was included in the car and price? If someone at Lincoln did that, than that is stupid. I have my doubts that the writer did much research though and they could have easily asked Lincoln to explain the options.

Anyhow, I will reserve my judgement till I get behind the wheel which I have been meaning to do. Work and family issues (son is having some health issues) have kept me pretty busy. I just don't see this handling any worse than a fusion sport. I could see it handling better during spirited driving with the AWD system (which they don't mention the torque vectoring system).

• Like 2

The driver's package does NOT include the summer tires - at least that is the case here in the Midwest where summer tires cannot be used all year. The summer tires are a standalone option but the driver's package is required if you want the summer tires.

From order guide:

19” Summer Tire
Note: Requires Drivers Package and 19" Fully Polished 10-spoke Aluminum Wheels
T7R
Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1

So it's not in the driver's package but requires it. Makes sense to folks that want the drivers package but live in colder climates and drive it in winter.

Exactly. The Taurus SHO performance package does include summer tires so buyers who want the package but live in cold climates have to have 2 sets of wheels/tires. The MKZ driver's package comes with all-seasons unless you order the summer tires. While they may not be a highly sought after option, they are far from "cheater tires" as the reviewer called them.

• Like 1

Interesting. Sorry to prolong the tire discussion but it seems that Lincoln should use the summer rubber that is optional on the Fusion instead of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that are optional on the MKZ. Sounds like that would have eliminated the "ruined ride" and noise complaints from the MKZ review. Of course, they would still hate Lincoln but that is to be expected.

Or, maybe................. just maybe................... they should actually truly review the car. You know, try the different suspension settings and talk about the difference. From reading this, not only did they not know the summer tires are an actual option on the car, they also have no idea that there is an adjustable suspension.

So, I can see them running around in normal or comfort, with the summer tires, and then complaining about the unsettled handling.

Or................ maybe they went into this hating the car (they have had a "thing" for Lincoln for a long time) and just worked on fulfilling that preconceived notion. After all, NOBODY can look at an MKZ and see Fusion. Nobody who has actually been inside a 2017 MKZ, and a Fusion can think they are anything close to the same car. There were actually comments that sharing the same windshield makes the MKZ badge engineered. A windshield................. really?? Stretching much??

• Like 2

I agree, I want somebody to do a more in depth review. If anything, the Internet has killed true writing/journalism. Magazines aren't making money so they hire hack writers with very little in editing and such. Too many of the auto writers and bloggers try to be too cute with their writing. I don't understand why a couple paragraphs about tires that are an option on the car, are the meat of the article. Talk about the drives modes and suspesion? No Did you write about the new awd system with torque vectoring? No Did you and your fellow reviews just come up with an idea that this was a ringer because of the tires but couldn't be bothered to ask Lincoln about it? Yep! such hacks

• Like 2

They simply cannot get past the fact it is not on a Lincoln-only platform. In their new car issue a couple of months ago, they referred to it as "Lincoln's version of the Fusion."

Definitely. When the subtitle is "back to the parts bin" when nothing but the platform and electrical stuff is shared between it and Fusion, there's an evident immediate bias against the vehicle. I'm not saying it can't be critiqued or criticized where criticism is due, but when they go out of their way to trash the vehicle without doing research or objectively looking at the vehicle, it's hard to give much merit to their "review."

• Like 1

doesn't it have the same 2.0L EB engine with a slightly different tune and the same hybrid driveline?

This is true. I wasn't thinking about them. Sharing the hybrid pack can/should be overlooked in my opinion. I will agree that the 2.0 should have been changed to the 2.3 as the standard engine, if anything for the sake of differentiation.

Summer tire, Winter tires?...so you guys must switch them out according to the season? So you have to switch them out, and u do what with the barely used summer ones, keep them around for the following year and pay to remount those come spring? Can't imagine keeping tires stored in my garage just sitting there half a year.

That's exactly what the MKZ is, just as the LS was "Lincoln's version of the Jaguar S-Type" in the early to mid 2000s.

That's a ridiculous statement. They share a platform but they have unique sheetmetal, interiors, suspensions, drivetrains and many other features

That was true for the Mercury Milan and the old Zephyr/MKZ that were truly rebadges but this is simply platform sharing.

Is the R8 Audi's version of the Lambo Gallardo?

Is the Cayenne Porsche's version of the VW Tourareg?

Is the ATS Chevy's version of the Camaro?

• Like 2

Summer tire, Winter tires?...so you guys must switch them out according to the season? So you have to switch them out, and u do what with the barely used summer ones, keep them around for the following year and pay to remount those come spring? Can't imagine keeping tires stored in my garage just sitting there half a year.

The guys who live in the north with performance package SHOs usually have 2 complete sets of tires/rims. The good news is that both last longer since they are only used part time. The bad news is having 4 tires/rims sitting around all the time. Personally, I would just run all season tires but lots of my SHO friends do the switcheroo.

That's a ridiculous statement. They share a platform but they have unique sheetmetal, interiors, suspensions, drivetrains and many other features

That was true for the Mercury Milan and the old Zephyr/MKZ that were truly rebadges but this is simply platform sharing.

Is the R8 Audi's version of the Lambo Gallardo?

Is the Cayenne Porsche's version of the VW Tourareg?

Is the ATS Chevy's version of the Camaro?

The Lincoln is still very close to its Ford platform, the biggest similarity really comes down to the shared chassis and suspension (Lincoln adds electronic dampeners, that's all), and of course they share drivetrains (including a 6-spd transmission). In the case of the MKZ, they also share engineering hard points which is part of the space problem in the car and why it actually has less space than a Fusion.

• Like 1