Jac Nasser

Just read that Jac the Knife is again walking the streets looking for a new company to "save". He was Chairman of BHP Billiton LTD the last 6 years and had been on the board since 2006.

This is the mining giant that was the owner of the tailings dam that collapsed in Brazil last year resulting in 19 deaths with a sludge river extending some 400 miles

I do believe his gig before that was at Polaroid and that ended in a disaster.

Yep, quite the achiever.

Andrew MacKenzie has been CEO of BHP Billiton for the last three and a half years,

the debacle in Brazil was on his watch, not Nasser.

Link to story

A separate police investigation has also accused Samarco of wilful misconduct, saying the company ignored signs the dam was at risk of collapse.

The actual collapse was likely triggered by a small earthquake on the day the dam burst, the report said.

BHP did engage in driving down Iron Ore prices in Australia to choke off the competition but

I think that was a short term strategy as most tightened their belts and gained contracts with

Korea, Japan and China.

Back in 2005, Nasser's nett worth was thought to be around $100 million.

Nasser still managed to earn $960K with BHB last year in difficult times and he

turns 69 on 12 December...

He's also on the board of 21st Century Fox, (Salary & bonuses $120K, Stock Awards $180K)

and he's also on the board of KOC, Turkey's largest conglomerate so he's not starving for work.

Nasser leaves BHP Billiton in good shape, low commodity prices robbed him of a triumphant departure

but signs are there that Iron Ore is already starting to recover.

Edited by jpd80

Andrew MacKenzie has been CEO of BHP Billiton for the last three and a half years,

the debacle in Brazil was on his watch, not Nasser.

BHP did engage in driving down Iron Ore prices in Australia to choke off the competition but

I think that was a short term strategy as most tightened their belts and gained contracts with

Korea, Japan and China.

Back in 2005, Nasser's nett worth was thought to be around $100 million.

Nasser still managed to earn $960K with BHB last year in difficult times and he

turns 69 on 12 December...

He's also on the board of 21st Century Fox, (Salary & bonuses $120K, Stock Awards $180K)

and he's also on the board of KOC, Turkey's largest conglomerate so he's not starving for work.

Nasser leaves BHP Billiton in good shape, low commodity prices robbed him of a triumphant departure

but signs are there that Iron Ore is already starting to recover.

And Jac was chairman of the board and the guy who put MacKenzie in the job.

And Jac was chairman of the board and the guy who put MacKenzie in the job.

Nothing wrong with MacKenzie, there's more to the Brazil story than meets the eye,

the locals there have a lot to answer for and are trying to drag BHP Billiton into it

because they smell money.

Nasser was trapped in a Ford that refused to change, so he chose novel and dangerous ways to

try to improve the performance of company stock at a time when everyone else on the board was

complicit. Had it not been for his outright criticism of Firestone (friends of the Fords) he might have

survived much longer at Ford - isn't that a scary thought.....

Edited by jpd80

Jacque officially killed Ford HD Truck.

And if i recall, Ford got $200 million for the sale to Freightliner and a whole mess of loss making business off its books.

It's crazy to think that some people want Ford to go back into HD trucks and compete with the leaders in that sector.

Edited by jpd80

Nothing wrong with MacKenzie, there's more to the Brazil story than meets the eye,

the locals there have a lot to answer for and are trying to drag BHP Billiton into it

because they smell money.

Nasser was trapped in a Ford that refused to change, so he chose novel and dangerous ways to

try to improve the performance of company stock at a time when everyone else on the board was

complicit. Had it not been for his outright criticism of Firestone (friends of the Fords) he might have

survived much longer at Ford - isn't that a scary thought.....

Well that is the first time I have heard the theory that the Firestone issue was the big reason he got the gate. I thought it was all the dumb ass aquisitions- Greenleaf (I have friends that were getting 20 g a month for their "junkyard"-which Jaq said would give Ford a better understanding of parts failures-duh Jac,-look at your f-ing warranty claims,) the British parts house, the entire PAG fiasco etc etc. Mulally truly understood the term FOCUS- Jaq was into personal fame-again, I'm not an employee,but a loyalist/stockholder/customer. And by the way -I always enjoy your posts and insights-just a major disagreement on this issue-I note you are an Aussie- do you have a sense of pride in this fellow Aussie???

You spelled it wrong...it is spelled jack nASSer....

I stand corrected. from what I have heard his arrogant and demeaning manner would warrant that.

For sure-

And if i recall, Ford got $200 million for the sale to Freightliner and a whole mess of loss making business off its books.

It's crazy to think that some people want Ford to go back into HD trucks and compete with the leaders in that sector.

actually I believe it was 300 million. After spending how many millions to redesign HN-80? Who had signed off on that expenditure? And Ford had routinely 8-10% of class 8 and around 18-20% of class 7. Not a bad chunk.

As for going back into class 8, define class 8. Should Ford go toe to toe with F-liner/Paccar in the US "large car" market? (OTR sleepers) No-

But it would not take very much to get back into the vocational truck market. that is what many of us are saying.

But back to Jac, he struck me as the typical brash corporate bigmouth who caught someone's eye early in his career and he was "anointed" as a fast tracker. At some point in time, his "sponsor" was gone and the fact he was a bullshitter became more apparent.

One of my favorite stories,he came to my "hood" one day and was quoted in a Boston Globe story with words to the effect that he wanted to know more about the customers likes beyond cars--like "what did they like in the kitchen"?? I guess that is when someone decided that 'focus" was in fact an issue.

Jac's other exploits notwithstanding, getting Ford out of the heavy truck segment was a rational decision. Ford had not been competitive in that business for years, and though I had high hopes for the HN80 program it didn't turn out to be all that great. Converting KTP over to light trucks was a VERY profitable move.

With regards to Ford's current commercial truck strategy, I think they are right on. The F-650 is taking a good percentage of the class 6 market, and the 'minimum effort' F-750 can't help but grab a few low-bid class 7 sales. No need to lead class 7 when you can make a profit with what you currently have.

Ford shouldn't even consider a return to class 8. That money would be much better spent on a commercial 5L diesel and possibly a class 4/5 LCF.

• Like 1

The Ford Cargo C-816 / C-1119 from the Ford Brazil line can expand the "low cab forward" market in North America for Ford Truck. Bring it up from Brazil without a drive train and it comes in as an "incomplete" or "knock down" truck to avoid the Chicken Tax and install the US market driveline at Avon lake. 3.7L normally aspirated V-6, Ecoboost V6, and Duratorq 3.2 I-5 (or the 'new' 3.0 L model running around in F-150 mules) and you are done.

ford_cargo_816_5.jpg

Jac's other exploits notwithstanding, getting Ford out of the heavy truck segment was a rational decision. Ford had not been competitive in that business for years, and though I had high hopes for the HN80 program it didn't turn out to be all that great. Converting KTP over to light trucks was a VERY profitable move.

With regards to Ford's current commercial truck strategy, I think they are right on. The F-650 is taking a good percentage of the class 6 market, and the 'minimum effort' F-750 can't help but grab a few low-bid class 7 sales. No need to lead class 7 when you can make a profit with what you currently have.

Ford shouldn't even consider a return to class 8. That money would be much better spent on a commercial 5L diesel and possibly a class 4/5 LCF.

2000 f-750 sales YTD vs almost 40,000 total market YTD.

Well at the risk of being repetitive, why are 750 sales at the level they are? Why do I see NO 750's in dealer inventory? Could it be dealers have no confidence in the power train at that rating? Would you put your name on an order for a bunch of 33,000 lb GVW trucks with the existing power train? As for the cab, is it a compromise? Yes. Is it decent? Yes-seems to work well in 550's.

So, are we talking about an application where a driver spends 8 or 10 hours in it-like P & D service? No-at least I'm not. I'm talking about an application like utility, construction etc where the truck would do fine-and had good sales numbers before-when it had a very different power train. And by the way, I'm sure if it DID offer another power train, there WOULD be buyers for tractors in P & D service. (Oh-and Ford marketing guys-if you read these forums, "tractor" is the correct term-please do not continue to refer to this application as "towing")

You say "No need to lead class 7..." How about getting some decent sales numbers to further cover the profitability of the entire medium duty program? And to those who say..."the Cummins/Allison premium would be too great", I say, it wasn't too great 3 years ago was it??-buyers would and did pay that "premium". If I had a fleet of Fords in class 3-4-5 and needed class 6 and 7's I would be a lot more likely to pull the trigger on a Ford order if I was not forced to depend on the warranty hook to convince me I wanted to chance it. Think Ford has a great rep when it comes to stepping up to the plate to honor warranty?

As always, value your opinion in any case.

Ford already has LCF in class 4/5....in the Cargo line, just need to bring it over.

TT-you are preaching to the choir-but don't give up-there MUST be some Ford marketing types who are not blind to the Chevy/ Isuzu blitz that will soon hit them. Isuzu sales were one thing, add the Chevy dealer mix to the equation and Ford now has a big void IMO

Died in 2009, when the Ford/Navistar partnership finally blew up.

The LCF was a nightmare due to high warranty costs and sales turnover rate. We had many LCF' that celebrated a few birthdays on the lot. Truly the black sheep of the Ford family.

so B-Dude-wasn't the only issue with the LCF-once again- the PowerStroke fiasco? I've been told the truck itself was very decent-

The Ford Cargo C-816 / C-1119 from the Ford Brazil line can expand the "low cab forward" market in North America for Ford Truck. Bring it up from Brazil without a drive train and it comes in as an "incomplete" or "knock down" truck to avoid the Chicken Tax and install the US market driveline at Avon lake. 3.7L normally aspirated V-6, Ecoboost V6, and Duratorq 3.2 I-5 (or the 'new' 3.0 L model running around in F-150 mules) and you are done.

ford_cargo_816_5.jpg

Very good-you have a future in marketing at Ford :clapping:

ford_cargo_816_5.jpg

There you go. If I were in charge of commercial truck planning a Ford, I would have brought this version of the Cargo to Avon Lake before resurrecting the Ford-built 650/750. The domestic powertrain idea is good, I would include a CNG/LNG 6.2L V-8 as well.

• Like 1