Continental Review

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/new-lincoln-continental-review-2016-10?r=US&IR=T#/#verdict-44

I decompressed with every minute I spent behind the wheel of the new Continental, and over the hours I was consumed by a Zen-like state of emotional and intellectual clarity. Did I want to sling this big sedan around corners? Nope. But it isn't made for that. The 7-Series and to a degree the CT6 are.

But the Lincoln Continental doesn't go there. It doesn't need to. It never went there, back before it went away for a little while. This car is for the smooth rollers in life. And if you aren't a smooth roller, the Continental might make you want to be one.

It's BI, so perhaps not as concerned with handling and performance as much as ride and comfort, but it seems to fill the ride and comfort role pretty well...

I suspect the seats will get good reviews even from the enthusiast press. I can't imagine any complaints about the e-latch doors with the cinching feature, either. I am not influenced by any reviewer's opinion but I will be interested to hear how think of the way it drives. I would expect them to test the 3.0 with the DTV and summer tires. For the intended buyer, I would think that combination would yield pretty good handling results while still offering a pretty composed ride.

In C&D's test of the Cadillac CT6, they wrote:

its ride only approaches plush on good roads, and after a few hours of feeling every ripple on the not-so-good ones, we might be willing to trade the CT6’s magnetorheological dampers for air springs and conventional dampers.

I would be surprised if anyone complains much about the Conti's ride quality unless they consider it too soft.

• Like 1

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/new-lincoln-continental-review-2016-10?r=US&IR=T#/#verdict-44

It's BI, so perhaps not as concerned with handling and performance as much as ride and comfort, but it seems to fill the ride and comfort role pretty well...

This review almost sounds like an advertisement!! :hysterical:

It is a nice looking machine, but I am not to sure about that digital gauge cluster though, something seems to be missing... :headscratch:

Edited by danglin
  • Like 1

While I dont take any review too seriously, I do look for a pattern, among all reviews that I read. And so far from the few reviews written, it has been mentioned how zen-like the vehicle is, and that's great because it's what Lincoln wanted to accomplish earlier on. I'm still WAITING to hear reviews on the 3.0L on the MKZ though.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-lincoln-continental-reserve-awd-quick-take-review/

They most likely had an early production car. There were a couple of panel gap issues on the early ones - specifically one of the doors and the trunk lid. Those issues have been resolved. The Lincoln rep that I spoke with had an early model and he showed us those issues on his car. There was a later version at the dealership that was perfect.

By having the 2.7 engine, this test car didn't have the dynamic torque vectoring. Not sure if that would have changed anything but that is part of the 3.0 engine option. As I suspected, the doors and seats were mentioned as high points.

While brief, and containing some personal opinions rather than facts, this review is reasonable.

Edited by brucelinc

Short women

Interesting that he complained about seat depth in the base Conti. The regular (non 22-way) seats in the MKX have the same problem. I wonder why Lincoln is making the seats so short in stock form?

Short women. Aren't women the majority of Lincoln buyers? Just a guess or the bean counters found a way to save a few extra bucks.

Ford factories are VERY primitive facilities compared to most luxury makers, especially in Germany and Japan. They simply don't have the quality control technology in place or the commitment to correct the problems before they hit the dealerships (especially on faster Ford lines). This has always and will always be the case. Every Lincoln I've ever purchased has noticeable fit n finish issues with almost all of them requiring repairs. This is the annoying thing about Lincoln, they think they can compete with very minimal effort or investment and charge insane prices to assemble them at the same cost as a Fusion. This is why the consumer and critics deserve to be extremely critical and skeptical of Lincoln when they start commanding prices like this.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Continental was clearly designed for China and I'm pretty sure they don't care about skidpads or 'Ring times.

I think a fair number of Americans will find it pretty satisfying, too. I am not saying the enthusiast press will go gaga over it but the performance data with the 3.0 will be impressive. No one will complain about the seat comfort, either. Only the enthusiast press will complain about the ride/handling balance.

• Like 1

Ford factories are VERY primitive facilities compared to most luxury makers, especially in Germany and Japan. They simply don't have the quality control technology in place or the commitment to correct the problems before they hit the dealerships (especially on faster Ford lines). This has always and will always be the case. Every Lincoln I've ever purchased has noticeable fit n finish issues with almost all of them requiring repairs. This is the annoying thing about Lincoln, they think they can compete with very minimal effort or investment and charge insane prices to assemble them at the same cost as a Fusion. This is why the consumer and critics deserve to be extremely critical and skeptical of Lincoln when they start commanding prices like this.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Lincoln has a completely separate quality control process in place, so they do care and they are making a commitment even if they make mistakes. And this was a pre-production model NOT a production model.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Lincoln has a completely separate quality control process in place, so they do care and they are making a commitment even if they make mistakes. And this was a pre-production model NOT a production model.

These are production cars and Lincoln's quality control process is just a press release.

Edited by BORG

Speaking of "commanding prices like these," I agree that a Black Label with every option stickering for 80k is a bit of a stretch. However, the model that most Americans will buy is the mid level Select series with the Nav and tech package and they will buy or lease with a price in the low 50s. Even upgrading to the nicely equipped Reserve with a price in the upper 50s seems pretty reasonable considering what else is in that price range.

• Like 1

The Cars.com review is positive but they make big deal about Lincoln not marketing this car. The reason is simple. Not all dealers even have Continentals available yet. They do not want to make the same mistake that they made with the 2013 MKZ. The began a major marketing campaign but there were no cars available.

There will be a serious marketing campaign for the Continental in November when the headlight fixes are done and dealers have stock. I am told that there is currently a shortage of the 3.0 engines, too.

• Like 1