2017 MKZ 3.0T POV Drive

If you are a Ford/Lincoln fan, definitely follow this guy on YouTube since he has some worthwhile videos on new Fords/Lincolns. I believe he is a sales rep.

Anyway, here is the first video I've seen of what driving the 3.0T is actually like, instead of people just talking about it.

• Like 2

I follow him. I think he drives a Fusion. He wasn't thrilled with the Fusion Sport.

He drove the Sport as well and you can hear the differences in the engine. Although I think Lincoln sound systems play some roll in the sound as well. To me the 3.0T sounds a little deeper than the 2.7 in my MKX.

Edited by BORG

They raise some familiar issues that are also evident on the MKX. I think anybody who has driven more sophisticated luxury vehicles will immediately recognize some of the primitive attributes of Lincoln's softened Fusion suspension. The fact that the suspension can't keep the tires glued to the road and the sensation that the car is sliding off of it's suspension in cornering. I think Lincoln knows this but doesn't care because their main audience will just complain that it's not soft enough. The great thing here however is that it's nice to have 400HP in a comfortable luxury car that doesn't need to be hugely expensive to own and maintain, although I'm sure you can probably get better and quieter rides out of a Mercedes or BMW at twice the price.

Edited by BORG

I am very impressed with the acceleration results which is really all I care about from a C & D review.

The rest of the review isn't too surprising. I haven't driven a Z with the summer tires but I wasn't particularly impressed with the ride or road noise levels even with the all season rubber. I got the impression they were trying to straddle the fence between sporty and luxurious. Result: Neither is stellar.

Smooth bottomless acceleration is what puts a smile on my face with the MKX, and as long as it can keep a flat corner at a reasonable speed then I'm happy. I like that my car has all this power on demand but isn't twitchy and can be driven smoothly with very little effort. Although after driving my Dad's Edge around this weekend I realize that the Ford feels more solid, planted, and responsive and similarly smooth and quiet. The differences are fairly small and really comes down to content and design.

Edited by BORG

I am surprised the reviewer mentioned torque steer. I didn't experience that in the Zs that I drove.

I suspect that review would have been more positive if they tested one without the driver's package and summer rubber. Reviewing the car as an entry luxury car and not as a sports sedan would have been more in this car's wheelhouse.

• Like 1

I am surprised the reviewer mentioned torque steer. I didn't experience that in the Zs that I drove.

I suspect that review would have been more positive if they tested one without the driver's package and summer rubber. Reviewing the car as an entry luxury car and not as a sports sedan would have been more in this car's wheelhouse.

Now why would they do that? It doesn't fit their narrative.
  • Like 2

In looking at the test notes, they refer to the tires as "cheater tires." It is pretty obvious to me that it isn't this car that the reviewer is so critical of - it is Lincoln in general.

Regardless of the reviewer's opinions, I am pleased with the performance numbers. The test notes also mention the strong low end torque. The 5-60 acceleration in 5.5 is excellent - a full second better than the Cadillac CT6 with their 3.0. That tells me that Ford has done an excellent job eliminating turbo lag.

This car has a 3.16 gear while the Continental with the same engine has a 3.39. Even though the Conti is a bit heavier, it should have similar acceleration. If someone will develop a tune for this engine, I should have fun at the track next summer.

• Like 1

I believe this happened last time, Lincoln put performance tires on the 2013 MKZ and some critics had a fit about it because they felt they were being tricked and manipulated.

I think Lincoln is mostly chasing stats, they really just want to put "400HP" on the hood because it can get the price up even if everything about the car is designed not to let you use it.

I really hope Ford intends to use the 3.0T, there is no reason it shouldn't be used to replace the 3.5 in Explorer and more.

Edited by BORG

But in both cases those were legitimate factory optional tires. They're not pulling a fast one. And 4.8 seconds to 60 would most certainly qualify as "using it".

C&D hates Lincoln because they're not building bespoke RWD vehicles. Period. I suspect there is also some animosity based on Ford's unwillingness to cater to the press in recent years. Ford knows these reviews (and awards) don't really affect sales one way or the other.

• Like 3

According to the Lincoln rep that I met a couple of weeks ago, there will be a 3.2 version at some point to be used in heavy vehicle applications.

As far as being able to use the 400 HP, I found both the MKZ and Conti to be very comfortable handling that power. Obviously, the summer rubber provides better skidpad results but there is nothing scary or unwieldy about the 400 HP on all season tires. I would tend to agree with the reviewer that the summer rubber ruins the ride and are noisy. Of course, if they had tested one on all seasons, they would have complained about that or something else.

• Like 2

I don't think Lincoln could get a good review unless they made a complete unrelated platform with RWD. Look at the LS. Got great reviews but overall was not that great of a car. But don't put too much into their reviews. Look at the Lexus ES. Fwd, related to Camry gets mediocre reviews but sells well right along with RX.

• Like 2

Car critics don't buy cars, they don't seem to appreciate how incredibly expensive those highly engineered German cars are compared to Lincoln with similar features (they just look at base pricing and not feature pricing). I keep saying this, sure I'd love to buy a Mercedes, but I'm not willing to give up amenities or pay twice as much for them when the Lincoln ride exceeds expectations anyway.

I do think Lincoln deserves some fair criticism and I don't think everybody should be some damn skeptical about what critics say.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

None of the things we're complaining about could be called "fair criticism".

Car and Driver had fair observations about the behavior of the car, their conclusion may not be relevant but what they have to say about the experience is indeed very useful.