2018 Navigator Spied

Pretty soon you should see some heavily camouflaged images of the Navigator spied for the first time on the street.

It's really hard to see the details but the body looks exactly like the Expedition prototype and does feature conventional door pulls (can't tell if they at least function like the Continental but the don't look anything like them). Like the Continental, the Navigator also has those inset wheel arches, no black cladding around them. You can also see the retractable running board.

The taillights appear to have a Continental-like treatment and appear much larger than the Concept (actually they looking nothing like the concept), including Amber turn signals and a white space in the middle.

The headlights have been simplified, the LED running lights cut across the middle of the headlamps with Continental-like LED fixtures just above it which look a little slimmer than the tallish fixtures from the concept. The lower fascia is much squarer and wider, more like the Continental with a much more prominent opening than the concept.

It looks okay, the design like the Continental isn't very flashy, it does shave strong horizontal lines and broad sheetmetal so to some I'm sure it'll look a little old-fashioned and bulky but it's certainly smoother.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

I also got some new Expedition photos in today, including a model with more upscale LED tail-lighting. They look a little like the Explorer C-shape design but with broader LED light bands. It also has the same 'wings' design which wraps into the fender, the Navigator uses this same cutout for its wraparound taillights but makes adjustments with trim pieces to differentiate it from the Expedition's vertical shapes.

The Expedition and Navigator have identical body designs in every detail, right down to the fenders so I believe the differences are only in the rear and front fascias (all the glass is also the same). The Expedition prototypes also have the same 'flanged' look to the wheel arches.

The Navigator rear end is much more conventional than the concept, including a large ledge for the rear bumper pretty much identical to the Expedition prototype. So like the Continental concept, I think the back-end is going to be the most dissimilar to the production car.

BTW, Expedition and Navigator have the same rear glass lift-gate with an exterior handle right below the windshield wiper.

The Expedition obviously has a rounder fascia compared to the upright fascia of the Navigator, but otherwise the details are hard to see beyond the lower grille and headlights. Expedition looks like it has a version of the Explorer grille, nothing terribly noteworthy there. The Expedition headlights have projector style headlamps, hard to make out the shapes but they don't really resemble the Explorer.

So essentially, the level of differentiation between Navigator and Expedition is identical to the previous vehicles, same stampings but different hoods, fascias, and interiors. But it does look like Navigator took some priority in the design. I imagine Ford COULD hide the flanged wheel arches with trim but that would be silly.

Edited by BORG

Well considering the number of late model GM fullsize SUVs in my neighborhood, I wouldn't consider that a bad thing. Especially since I'm planning to buy a GMC Yukon as a stopgap measure until the new Nav/Ex comes out. Unfortunately we need more space than our Explorer provides, and I'm not willing to buy a current Expedition since it's virtually the same as the 2007 we had.

Speaking of door handles, I really wish Ford would focus on the "Feel" aspect of it. My LS has solid handles that felt great and the door felt more solid in thunkability. My MKX plastic crap handle feels weak, the door feels hollow, and tinsy. Same with the MKZ, the plastic feeling handle feels like some Mattel toy box cover...Haven't tried the Conti's new door handles, but I'm guessing so it's just an E-Latch it should feel better, cant get that much wrong if it doesn't move.

The photos that are for sale, I can preview them but not publish them. This is how Spy Photography works. I have bought them in the past, specifically when the MKX was spied so I could share them here because nobody would pick them up. The general rule of thumb is that Lincoln doesn't generate much interest and since there has already been a concept, you really need to see a completely raw vehicle to sell them.

In this case, I understand why there isn't much interest since it effectively looks like the spied Expedition from a few weeks ago and it was clear at the time that it was based on the Navigator concept...thusly the Navigator looks the same.

As for Chris Doane, that might be the new Alfa Stelvio SUV which was just spied uncovered at night in Europe, but somehow I doubt it.

Edited by BORG

The photos that are for sale, I can preview them but not publish them. This is how Spy Photography works. I have bought them in the past, specifically when the MKX was spied so I could share them here. I'm no longer interested in doing such a thing in this case.

In this case, I understand why there isn't much interest since it effectively looks like the spied Expedition from a few weeks ago and it was clear at the time that it was based on the Navigator concept...thusly the Navigator looks the same.

As for Chris Doane, that might be the new Alfa Stelvio SUV which was just spied uncovered at night in Europe, but somehow I doubt it.

On his Facebook page, he said "Well I'd love to show you photos of the 2018 ________________ with no camo, but the OEM bought the photos instead." That must be that Alfa you're talking about.

The photos that are for sale, I can preview them but not publish them. This is how Spy Photography works. I have bought them in the past, specifically when the MKX was spied so I could share them here because nobody would pick them up. The general rule of thumb is that Lincoln doesn't generate much interest and since there has already been a concept, you really need to see a completely raw vehicle to sell them.

Ah, well I didn't understand that......you made it sound as if you had some photos you took or something but that you were waiting to see if anyone would buy them first. My apologies.