2016 Lincoln MKX (1-Year Later)

I just want to share my experience with my 2016 Lincoln MKX 1 year later (5,000 Miles).

So far this has been the most trouble free Lincoln I've had in years, I've only been the dealer once for an oil change. There are issues I should have addressed, but nothing worth the trouble for a lease (some panel gaps, a broken cargo cover which I don't use anyway).

I have an absolutely loaded 2.7AWD MKX with the Revel Ultima sound system and massaging 22-way seats.

Driving:

The 2.7 is extremely powerful at speed, and fun to drive. It takes some getting use to at first because it's a little like driving a rubber band, it doesn't really have anything upfront but once it spools up it hauls like a rocket and it's insanely fun. The transmission is fairly well behaved, certainly the best I've ever seen on a Ford product. The drivetrain feels a little slow and burdened at low speeds, it definitely sounds and feels small until everything spools up. Sport mode dramatically changes the behavior of the car but I never drive in this mode because it's harsh and twitchy. At highway speeds the car is extremely poised, quiet, and powerful. There is almost no wind or road noise but there is more tire and 'impact' noise than I'm use to.

Suspension:

This is definitely not a nimble car, mostly because the steering is extremely light and isolated so I don't have allot of confidence in the feedback or the limits of the car. The suspension is very softly sprung, it's controlled well but around corners it definitely feel unsettled compared to the previous MKX. Much of this really comes down to the fact that the car doesn't really feel connected to the driver so you automatically want to drive in more cautiously. It's definitely a car that feels calming, not always the case with the last MKX.

Amenities:

The seats are probably not worth the upgrade but for me they are the only ones with enough thigh support, the seats in the MKX and Edge shrank allot from the last generation. I would say the seats in my last MKX were more comfortable because they were bigger. I rarely use the massaging feature, I don't drive it enough, but it's a nice luxury if you're reaching the end of a long drive. This is a feature I really have no need for.

The sound system is incredible and probably the main reason to go for the big upgrade. The LED headlights aren't as bright as I hoped and they don't reach nearly as far as HIDs, but auto high beams is a great feature and they are incredibly bright when on. I think Lincoln needs to use some better optics on their LEDs, right now they are fairly crude reflectors which certainly isn't as good as the projector HIDs.

360 Camera could use a better or bigger display but it's another must-have feature and since it's such a rare feature at Ford right now it's one of the reasons to consider MKX. I've had a few malfunctions with the front camera but they always resolve themselves. I still want a washer on the back camera, that is ALWAYS a problem in Michigan. Actually, I wish that was the camera that actually retraced!

The theatrical approach lighting doesn't really work reliably, sometimes it doesn't see the fob until you're right next to the car, or the effects lags and just jumps on abruptly. When it works it's a nice touch, always works however when you use the keyfob, haha.

Will I get another?

This is my 4th and last MKX. It's a fantastic car but it's also lower and more cramped upfront and it's absolutely impossible for me to get comfortable in this car. The roof is too low and there isn't enough legroom to get me close enough to the steering wheel. Consequently I either have to burry my head in the roof and never see a traffic light again or sit low and lean forward to reach the steering wheel. I didn't have such a problem with the last MKX which was taller with more seat travel. Ultimately this also means no more Lincolns for me, although the Explorer Platinum isn't out of the question right now, although I'd prefer to buy a luxury car.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

I just want to share my experience with my 2016 Lincoln MKX 1 year later (5,000 Miles).

So far this has been the most trouble free Lincoln I've had in years, I've only been the dealer once for an oil change. There are issues I should have addressed, but nothing worth the trouble for a lease (some panel gaps, a broken cargo cover which I don't use anyway).

I have an absolutely loaded 2.7AWD MKX with the Revel Ultima sound system and massaging 22-way seats.

Driving:

The 2.7 is extremely powerful at speed, and fun to drive. It takes some getting use to at first because it's a little like driving a rubber band, it doesn't really have anything upfront but once it spools up it hauls like a rocket and it's insanely fun. The transmission is fairly well behaved, certainly the best I've ever seen on a Ford product. The drivetrain feels a little slow and burdened at low speeds, it definitely sounds and feels small until everything spools up. Sport mode dramatically changes the behavior of the car but I never drive in this mode because it's harsh and twitchy. At highway speeds the car is extremely poised, quiet, and powerful. There is almost no wind or road noise but there is more tire and 'impact' noise than I'm use to.

Suspension:

This is definitely not a nimble car, mostly because the steering is extremely light and isolated so I don't have allot of confidence in the feedback or the limits of the car. The suspension is very softly sprung, it's controlled well but around corners it definitely feel unsettled compared to the previous MKX. Much of this really comes down to the fact that the car doesn't really feel connected to the driver so you automatically want to drive in more cautiously. It's definitely a car that feels calming, not always the case with the last MKX.

Amenities:

The seats are probably not worth the upgrade but for me they are the only ones with enough thigh support, the seats in the MKX and Edge shrank allot from the last generation. I would say the seats in my last MKX were more comfortable because they were bigger. I rarely use the massaging feature, I don't drive it enough, but it's a nice luxury if you're reaching the end of a long drive. This is a feature I really have no need for.

The sound system is incredible and probably the main reason to go for the big upgrade. The LED headlights aren't as bright as I hoped and they don't reach nearly as far as HIDs, but auto high beams is a great feature and they are incredibly bright when on. I think Lincoln needs to use some better optics on their LEDs, right now they are fairly crude reflectors which certainly isn't as good as the projector HIDs.

360 Camera could use a better or bigger display but it's another must-have feature and since it's such a rare feature at Ford right now it's one of the reasons to consider MKX. I've had a few malfunctions with the front camera but they always resolve themselves. I still want a washer on the back camera, that is ALWAYS a problem in Michigan. Actually, I wish that was the camera that actually retraced!

The theatrical approach lighting doesn't really work reliably, sometimes it doesn't see the fob until you're right next to the car, or the effects lags and just jumps on abruptly. When it works it's a nice touch, always works however when you use the keyfob, haha.

Will I get another?

This is my 4th and last MKX. It's a fantastic car but it's also lower and more cramped upfront and it's absolutely impossible for me to get comfortable in this car. The roof is too low and there isn't enough legroom to get me close enough to the steering wheel. Consequently I either have yo burry my head in the roof and never see a traffic light again or sit low and lean forward to reach the steering wheel. I didn't have such a problem with the last MKX which was taller with more seat travel. Ultimately this also means no more Lincolns for me, although the Explorer Platinum isn't out of the question right now, although I'd prefer to buy a luxury car.

I just bought a 17 Explorer Platinum and like it quite a bit. I had ordered a 16 last year, but they kept saying "late availability" and even later if you wanted black interior. I finally gave up and ordered a 16 Expedition Platinum. In retrospect, I'm glad I waited because the Expedition had Sync 3 and Explorer did not. I also got black interior as I had wanted. Another thing I really like is the engine doesn't seem to have the annoying fraction of a second stumble as the Expedition and the Tremor I had before both did. The entertainment system is also pretty good. Not quite as good as the Reval, but nice. I had thought about buying an MKX, but the Explorer is fine for now.

• Like 1

I don't know if you are all about Ford, or if you would consider a GM product (apparently some people can't stomach the other, I buy what ever is better at the time), but anyway I would recommend you check out Cadillac, an XT5, or a Denali of some sort, I really like those options personally. I'd drive the American's, especially now, over the foreigns anyday...... I think Lincoln has a very odd portfolio unfortunately still in 2017 MY..... it's disproportioned product, very hit and miss (hugely more miss than hit)..... PS I'm 6'3 pushing 300 and I'm hard pressed to get comfortable in these Lincoln's. I don't have a problem necessarily fighting in because of size due to weight, I'm not really large in any sense of the word, but my legs either are messed up or my heads in the roof. Our 08 CTS has a similar problem, too short of a wheelbase and interior space. The XTS is a fine sedan, MKS would've been great had 2013 brought more interior space, less trunk, and a better interior, with a nice front fascia. CT6 is premo, Continental is good in certain instances, certainly won't knock it for driving around town or cruising the thruway, but a I'm not going to buy one of those before the CT6, just not gonna happen, unless the price is so cheap I'd be stupid to pass it up. The CT6 really seems well put together in every area. I can't wait for the mini Escalade, and Aviator, would love to own both, unless the Lincoln sucks of course.....

Edited by LincolnLover
  • Like 1

I think I just have a weird build, very long legs so that means I need a tall car or a car with allot of legroom. I've always had some sort of problem finding the right seating but the new MKX suffers from a similar problem I had with the MKS, although not quite as bad. It's one of the reasons I loved the last MKX, it's one of those extremely rare Fords that had the right dimensions for me...other than a pickup truck. The Explorer is probably the next best candidate but it has a weird lack of legroom as well but the roof is tall enough to compensate.

I am considering lots of other cars but I can't say Caddy has ever appealed to me, the XT5 is extremely common around me, it's like the Toyota Camry of the wealthy Detroit suburbs. I'm more likely to look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer Platinum, the GC is probably the more likely option since I think it looks allot better with a more upscale interior.

Ironically a car that probably will bit my legs better than an MKX is a car, like an MKZ, although my head has to be in the ceiling but at least I have a little more visibility.

Edited by BORG

My height is in my torso not my legs (I'm 6'4) and have no issue with my Edge. On some vehicles (like my Escape) I'm better off without a sunroof (though the vista roof is less of an issue.)

Are you purposely typing "allot" in every other post? ("Allot" is the wrong word, you mean to use "a lot")

Edited by sullynd