2017 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Ten Speed Fuel Economy Released

JB15129

The fuel economy of the new 2017 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost and ten speed transmission combination has been released for the 4x4 configuration, it's on fueleconomy.gov. The good news: 2017 F-150 fuel economy is about 10% better than the 2016 3.5L Ecoboost and six speed transmission.

2016: 15 mpg city, 20 mpg highway, 17 mpg combined

2017: 17 mpg city, 22 mpg highway, 19 mpg combined

A nice increase for the new engine and transmission. The bad news is that after all the work on the aluminum body, new engine and transmission, it's still only 19 mpg.... It is the 4x4, so it will be interesting to see the 4x2 fuel economy ratings.

Link: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=37053&id=38215

JB

I think the ultimate goal is really to hold the line on efficiency while increasing capability. Every Lincoln I've ever owned gives me the same real-world mileage, 17-18MPG. But the weight, features, and power have all gone up significantly on that same mileage. I think electrification is really the only way to significantly improve efficiency and add capability at the same time.

• Like 1

I think the ultimate goal is really to hold the line on efficiency while increasing capability. Every Lincoln I've ever owned gives me the same real-world mileage, 17-18MPG. But the weight, features, and power have all gone up significantly on that same mileage. I think electrification is really the only way to significantly improve efficiency and add capability at the same time.

Ummm, the capability of the '17 F150 is identical (towing/hauling/etc) to the '16 F150. The only thing that changed was the engine, transmission, and an additional 2 MPG. What you're saying seems backwards, no?

Ummm, the capability of the '17 F150 is identical (towing/hauling/etc) to the '16 F150. The only thing that changed was the engine, transmission, and an additional 2 MPG. What you're saying seems backwards, no?

I would say this is a negligible increase for an already low efficiency product that is actually trying to get back to a time when less power and weight delivered better efficiency. Especially when you consider the huge technological changes made to achieve this level of efficiency, namely EcoBoost and Aluminum.

Edited by BORG

I would say this is a negligible increase for an already low efficiency product that is actually trying to get back to a time when less power and weight delivered better efficiency. Especially when you consider the huge technological changes made to achieve this level of efficiency, namely EcoBoost and Aluminum.

WTH are you even talking about?

10% increase over the previous year is negligible?

Low efficiency? Less power and weight delivered better efficiency?

Look at this earlier post of mine in this thread (quoted below) and you tell me that the lighter, lower powered, dirtier (emissions-wise), less safe '99 model truck was more efficient. Seriously dude. In 17 years, this heavier, more powerful, safer, more capable truck is producing 50% more power and 50% more torque while delivering 50% better fuel economy. And that is negligible? Or "trying to get back to a time when less power and weight delivered better efficiency"? Really? Do you even read what you write?

My old regular cab short bed '99 F150 with 100 less HP and 120 less ft-lbs of torque was rated 13/16 (that's under the old system...11/15 under the new system). I would call these numbers rather impressive.

If you want to throw aluminum into the mix and properly compare the 3.5LEB, then compare it to the 2013 6.2L:

2014 6.2L 13/18/15

2017 3.5L 17/22/19

That's a 4 mpg jump in 3 years without sacrificing any capabilities. On the city rating that's a 31% increase in fuel economy just from the new engine, tranny and aluminum.

How the hell can you call that negligible?

• Like 1

If you want to throw aluminum into the mix and properly compare the 3.5LEB, then compare it to the 2013 6.2L:

2014 6.2L 13/18/15

2017 3.5L 17/22/19

That's a 4 mpg jump in 3 years without sacrificing any capabilities. On the city rating that's a 31% increase in fuel economy just from the new engine, tranny and aluminum.

How the hell can you call that negligible?

Doesn't the new Ecoboost actually have more power then the 6.2L now?

6.2L: 411HP 434 ft-lb

3.5L Ecoboost: 450HP and 510 ft-lb (in the Raptor at least)

Edited by silvrsvt

Doesn't the new Ecoboost actually have more power then the 6.2L now?

6.2L: 411HP 434 ft-lb

3.5L Ecoboost: 450HP and 510 ft-lb (in the Raptor at least)

375/470 in the F150. So slightly down on hp but way above in torque. So yes it does have more power than the old 6.2.

This is similar to what happened with Silverado 6.2.

Now that the 3.5 EB has the 10AT, it no longer needs different gearing for the (?) +7,500 lb towing package.

So effectively, a jump of 10% on the rated CAFE FE for a lot of heavier 4x4 F150s is something to crow about.

Edited by jpd80

I have a 2017 F-150 on order with the 3.5L & ten speed, so I'm all in. There has been a great increase in engine and driveline efficiency in the past twenty years.Some of it has been used to increase the size and capability of the vehicle, so not all of it shows up as increased fuel mileage. I think that's the point that some posters are making. I wish that the F-150 was the same size and capability of the 1997-2003 models, with the aluminum body and the new drivetrain - I'd guess that the 4x2 would be over 30 mpg and the 4x4 over 25 mpg.

Any idea when the 2.7 will get the ten speed? Mid year change for 2017 or 2018 models? That will be the mpg king. Will the 5.0 get the ten speed, or will it be phased out with the six speed?

I have zero evidence of this actually happening, but I have a hunch the 3.7 will keep the 6 speed....

I was going to mention that...I agree that the 6 speed may stay around for a bit with the 3.5L N/A (the 3.7L is gone from the F150) for a lower cost option, but I think the 6 speed will disappear completely by the '19 or '20 MY.

• Like 1