My test drive of a 400 HP MKZ

I just returned from my test drive in an MKZ Reserve with the 3.0 so I will share my observations. Your needs and desires in a car may be different than mine so there are bound to be differences of opinion. Further, the only thing I have to compare the MKZ against is my MKS which has an aftermarket tune. The real competition would be the Lexus ES and I have never driven one of those.

The Z is definitely a more sporty feeling car than the MKS. The ride is more taut - even in comfort mode. The sport mode was noticeably stiffer. The benefit is that the overall nimbleness and handling capability is clearly better than my MKS. I am not a fan of the 40 series tires, There is more tire thump over poor pavement than I am accustomed to and less feeling of isolation from the road. It is not a sports sedan at all but it leaned closer to sport than luxury in my opinion. I am curious how a customer who cross shops a Lexus would like it. The car I drove did not have the drivers package and that would likely be even sportier.

I am not an audiophile by any means so I can't really comment on the Revel system. I didn't play with the settings so it may have much more potential than the THX system. The car I drove had excellent fit & finish and the 2017 interior is much improved over the 2016s. All of the switchgear had a quality feel to it. Personally, I would prefer the center stack and console top to be covered in wood rather than aluminum but that is just personal preference.

The engine felt very strong considering it only had 32 miles on it. Probably better than a stock 3.5 ecoboost MKS or SHO but far short of one with a tune. The 3.0 idles more quietly than the 3.5 ecoboost and it sounded good when pushed. I would guess that a fully broken in model would do 0-60 in around 5 seconds flat. I look forward to seeing what the road tests show when one is actually conducted. It did seem to me that it had a tendency to downshift too easily under part throttle. It didn't take much pressure on the throttle for it to kick down but at least the kick down was smooth and without much engine noise. In some cases, though, I felt like a downshift was unnecessary considering the relatively minor acceleration I was wanting.

Overall, I was reasonably impressed but not quite impressed enough to place an order today. I still want to drive a Continental before I decide on a replacement for my MKS even though we are talking a lot more money. I will be interested to see how the Z does in the marketplace with the 3.0. It is quite a step up from the 2.0 and 3.7 used in prior models.

• Like 2

Sport Mode dramatically changes the behavior of the Transmission in my MKX, it tends to be allot quicker to downshift and jump harshly but the car overall feels tightly sprung and ready to scream which I love in aggressive driving situations. In Comfort Mode the transmission is definitely lazier and lets the engine whine a bit more and definitely doesn't make the car feel fast until you're up into the gears, sometimes the engine lags because it downshifts too early and the gear isn't quite right, it's a little inconsistent and unrefined but never harsh in Comfort mode. It's certainly the best behaved this transmission has ever been for me, but it's clearly outdated. I do think the 3.0T in the MKZ is going to suffer from it's ancient transmission so it's mostly wasted right now I think, I'm sure the critics will judge that more harshly than the typical Lincoln customer would.

I got to see the MKZ in person and I just REALLY don't like the new look, it clashes with much of the car's striking lines and ultimately doesn't look nearly as attractive in the flesh as it does in photos, mostly because the proportions and scale make it look like a very average midsize sedan rather than the striking vehicle it use to be. That face is just not best for the MKZ, it looks great on the boxier and better proportioned Continental. Essentially, the face photographs well but once you walk around it seems like a totally different car.

Edited by BORG

I agree that the front and rear do not play well together. I don't like the roof "C" pillar arrangement either. Having said that, I don't buy cars based on how they look. If that were the case, I wouldn't have had my Mitsubishi Galant (oops, I mean Lincoln LS) for so long.

I wouldn't have had my Mitsubishi Galant (oops, I mean Lincoln LS) for so long.

Careful, you'll get somebody's panties in a wad with that comment, although to me the resemblance was obvious.

Wow - 3 posts in a row from former LS owners. Can SoonerLS make it 4?

• Like 1

I agree that the front and rear do not play well together. I don't like the roof "C" pillar arrangement either. Having said that, I don't buy cars based on how they look. If that were the case, I wouldn't have had my Mitsubishi Galant (oops, I mean Lincoln LS) for so long.

Oh you are dead wrong!!

It was a diamante! That the LS resembles. ?

• Like 1

There are two things stopping my from get an MKZ right now. I bet the 9 speed will make an appearance for 2018 and I am interviewing for different jobs right now. The current 6 speed (I'm sure it's fine) and current job just aren't where I want them to be right now. I just have a feeling the 9 speed will make the car feel even better and really wake that engine up. Don't want to have any sort of remorse after dropping about 50k.

My first car out of University was a loaded 2005 Lincoln LS, and my lease was less than half the price of my current Lincoln (those were the days). My parents had them before I bought mine and I'll never forget experiencing one for the first time, when you mashed the pedal you got that smooth silent power without the obnoxious and gutless grinding roar of the 4.6L V8 I had grown up with in Mark VIIIs, Continentals, and Town Cars. The engineer of the LS was just SO far beyond what Ford was doing at the time, the LS felt like a century apart from the rest of Lincoln and Ford. I have reason to expect the newest MKZ with the 3.0T to destroy the LS, especially if my MKX is any indication, although the design of the MKZ can't compare to the balanced and Germanesque LS (at the time anyway). Must be a Chinese thing now.

Edited by BORG

I have no particular issue with the 6f55/3.0 powertrain. I thought it was a bit too anxious to downshift but it could be that a downshift to 5th uses less fuel than getting into the boost in 6th when accelerating moderately. In any case, I would not want any higher top gear.

My primary objection to the MKZ is that it just doesn't feel as upscale to drive as I expected. The doors do not close with that refined "thuck" that sounds like quality. In spite of the active noise cancellation, there is too much tire thump and hum. Many of you guys are quick to criticize the D3 platform but I prefer my MKS or my wife's '14 Taurus over an MKZ.

That AJV8 was like a Swiss watch, but my 2.0L EB Fusion feels faster.

Here is my take on the LS. I've owned one and my folks owned one. The design was pretty good but put together with crap parts. First generation the secondary timing chain tensioners would fail and bend valves. All the plastic plumbing on the engine would deteriorate and break. They should have put an extra set of valve cover gaskets and coils in the glove box.

I don't even need to mention the window regulators and astronomical suspension component costs. On top of all that the loose grounds from poor assembly that caused so many headaches. That car was kinda screwed when it came out. I liked the car and think it could have been better. Quality issues and lack of updates killed it.

IMO saying the AJV8 in first generation was so much better than a 4.6 4v is a stretch. That engine was smooth and had good sound. When the 03 AJV8 got the power boost by 20hp, vct and got electronic throttle control, then I can see it being ahead the dohc modular. Even then the LS under moderate throttle around 2500 under a load makes a weird note that makes a mechanic wonder is that a spark knock?

I am very interested in checking out the 3.0T. I am glad to see Ford putting some vehicles out with power. We had that 5.4 3v for so long that was so damn slow by comparison. It will be interesting to see how well all this turbo charging will work out in the long run. It's been working since 2009 so I guess time will tell.

Edited by fordtech1

Regarding the LS V8: Yes, the engine was smooth as silk - as long as the COPs were all firing. :). However, low end torque was not very impressive and it used way too much fuel for the amount of power it produced. The later ones with VVT were better but still did not feel that strong. The 5 speed transmission with its odd 1-2 gear spacing did the car no favors, either.

Back to the MKZ I drove: I should have checked the tire pressure. The car had just arrived and had not been prepped by the dealer. I have heard that often tires are over-inflated for transport. If that was the case, it might explain the firmer ride and tire thump that I found objectionable. Also, my expectations may have been unreasonable. I have had a number of Fusion rentals and thought they were very good mid-sized sedans in terms of ride, handling and quietness. I was expecting the MKZ to be MUCH better but the difference was not as great as I had hoped.

Ok so coming from the guy who's had a 00, 03, and 05 LS... yes I've been waiting for the 3.0L MKZ, I'm already at 130K miles on my current '05 and with one window regulator at 80K miles, and the ignition coils twice, and replaced the plumbing and degas only as preventive measure because I am IN FL. I will say it's been the more reliable of the 3. Granted, some of you have criticized me in the past because of my 12-14MPG (90 percent city driving), and YES I drive it like I stole it ALL the time, but if you can't pay, dont play, fuel economy doesnt register in my care list. I will say that the vehicle is an Angel, consider what I put it thru. As for suspension, well I haven't had any issues, nor replaced parts of it. Not sure... some of you all fly over speed bumps, maybe some live in poorly maintained street with potholes, I think up there you all have snow and have those issues, but I know it's achilles heal and drive it accordingly (I have brick streets in my area which might be worse)

I will add on the comments about "the feel". I've been teased by my dealership with date night on the MKZ, and I sort of like taking in my car for service at 4PM so they give me a loaner... ahem... but I've had the MKZ and I do agree it doesnt have that "germanic" feel of the LS. Just pull the door handle on the LS and its solid, feel substantial and connected to the otherwise "light" feeling door. The MKZ I will say has a crappy, plastiky feeling door handle. (as my MKX does), you grab it with your hand and play with it, and it kinda feels chitzy. Close the doors, and some kinda hallow sound to it. The AJV8 is very smooth, very quiet, with a decent sounding quieter fan. My MKX sounds like a roaring piece of farm machinery like an 80's Blazer (if some of you remember how loud those things were). Granted, the buttons on the MKZ felt more solid, less wiggle than the LS, but lets think about it I'm comparing a 11 year old car, to a new one, its expected. The structure doesnt creek or rattle, and it still rides and feel like a light taut tank. Ironically, what was "heavy" back then at 3590lbs. is now considered light, in the midsize luxury segment. I think even the Fusion AWD comes in 100+lbs more.

The only reason Im wanting to replace it is because my car insurance is having a conniption because they know slightest hit, and its a total loss because parts are expensive. And because if ONE thing dies on it now, it'll be thousands since parts will be hard to come by. I'm just hoping I'll find someone who will "love" it as well as it's treated me, so I've joined a few Facebook LS clubs and hopefully I'll give someone a good deal on it.

I had the same three Lincoln LS model years and the only one I didn't like was my '05 which beefed up the engine but softened the suspension to the point it handled about as bad as a Taurus, and certainly far less nimble than the MKZ my mother would have in '07 which I got to drive occasionally. For me the LS essentially died when they tried to make it more elderly so I was quite fine when the cut it loose because it was a completely different car. The LS was a solid car but it's extremely obsolete compared to all the other Lincolns I've driven since, progress has marched along and the LS would feel slow and ponderous compared to the planted hot-rod SUV I drive now. Not to mention the LS ALWAYS had a notoriously unresponsive transmission that made driving it occasionally irritating, no wonder you have to flog it because that's the way the transmission wants to be treated, the throttle has a very loose association with the transmission so I remember constantly putting myself at risk because the transmission was so damn slow and unpredictable, pushing on the peddle should deliver consistent acceleration...not in the LS. And hey, I certainly don't miss not having AWD. Anyway, it was the best Lincoln at the time, but not anymore.

Edited by BORG

Blah Blah Blah from all you LS lovers. I had one as well, and really liked it. However to try to compare that vehicle to the new MKZ is ridiculous. I drove the new 3.0T and it is a beautiful engine, especially at higher speed. The low response is also quite nice. As for it not being "germanic"- who cares? It's a sporty luxury sedan, not an Autobahn flier. It compares quite well against the new Cadillac, which is where I think it's aimed. You want a "germanic feel? Go Benz or BMW. I personally prefer comfort over road noise and feel, and the "snob appeal" aspect of both is just so much phoniness. We all know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW/Benz driver, don't we?

• Like 1

What he said. ^^^^

The LS was nice at the time but the center stack was cheap, the V8 was smooth but only had adequate power. The handling was great but ride comfort was a bit lacking compared to others. The tranny was slow and easily confused.

The new MKZ is a far better vehicle which it should be considering it's 16 years older and costs more.

True but mostly Canadian media. The reviews I have seen have been about the 2.0t and hybrid .Also, there have been zero reviews about the 2.7 turbo in fusion sport and 3.0t (in any form) for the MKZ.

There is a dealer by me that has a MKZ 3.0t on the lot that I would love to test drive. It just doesn't seem that I have time unless it's a Sunday and dealerships are closed in IL on Sunday.