Chrysler to cease all car production / Will ford be next.

Dayshift

Chrysler announced today it would move "ALL" car production to Mexico & Canada.

Us production plants will build trucks & SUVs.

Will Ford follow suit? What will that do for U.S. production numbers if gas prices return to $4.00 levels?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/28/fiat-chrysler-ending-car-production-us/87649136/

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/07/27/fiat-chrysler-to-stop-making-small-cars-in-america-by-early-2017.html

Go NAFTA Go,

The only cars built in the US are the Taurus, Mustang and the Continental. The Taurus is a deadman walking, so that just leaves the Mustang and Continental....which won't be affected that much by gas prices.

People will still buy F-series trucks even if gas is 4 bucks a gallon. There will be less psychical shock the next time it happens because people have been through it already.

Essentially this has already happened at Ford. A big part of that is simply that the car form factor has transformed and "cars" are simply shrinking or sold only to budget conscious shoppers which means they have to keep costs down to justify their existence for the future. In reality the UAW is probably better off keeping those shrinking segments out of their wheel-house so they can focus on the parts of the industry still growing. Of course this can always change again...but such is life.

Fusion production is still at Flat Rock, right?

Nope, all in Mexico. I'm a Union member, support all Unions including the UAW and I don't want to see manufacturing leave the US, but I have to say, my 2017 Fusion is a very well built car.

** Sorry, I didn't realize this was the Employee forum. I was searching New Content and clicked on a discussion that was of interest to me.**

Edited by transitman

I'm still at a loss trying to understand the mass migration from cars to SUV's. I'm told that buyers like the higher seating position, 4WD utility advantages, etc.

Years ago 2-door models, especially those that were considered personal luxury vehicles (Eldorado, Mark IV/V, Thunderbird, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, etc.) were all the rage but the whole car segment has shifted to 4-door sedans and only a few 2-door niche or specialty models. The decline in demand for car models is going to further push back new car model development. Alan Mulally must be glad that he left Ford when he did. I think that he felt that he'd taught Ford executives everything he could and got out when he felt that he'd accomplished all that he could. Unfortunately, Ford has quickly fallen back into old habits and it's going to affect future product development going forward.

• Like 1

I'm not supposed to post here since I am not a Ford employee, and I suppose the "mods" might delete this and threaten me or ban me.

BUT

I own a F150 and a Mustang GT both built in America, that's one of the reasons I bought them.

Thank you Ford employees.

• Like 4

I'm not supposed to post here since I am not a Ford employee, and I suppose the "mods" might delete this and threaten me or ban me.

BUT

I own a F150 and a Mustang GT both built in America, that's one of the reasons I bought them.

hey i liked reading that, kinda made my day.

thanks for supporting and buying our products!

• Like 1

BUT

Two of the most iconic vehicles in the world!

• Like 1