Ford's Future Models and Platforms

I'm not certain if there's anything new in this article, but it has more references to platform numbers and specific production plans than I've seen in one place. Among the highlights:

- A major part of FoMoCo's strategy begins with the arrival of C519. This, the fourth generation Focus, will appear in just a few months' time. The global model will be manufactured in Mexico (Cuautitlán), Germany (Saarlouis), China (Chongqing), Thailand (Rayong), Russia (Vsevolozhsk), and Argentina (Pacheco), commencing in the fourth quarter.

- The fresh architecture will have both front- and all-wheel drive capabilities, plus EV/PHEV compatibility. Expect sedan, five-door hatchback and estate/wagon bodystyles plus a long-wheelbase car for China and selected other markets. There will also be a replacement for the Focus Electric.

- Amongst the multiple future vehicles for the Focus platform are three related models: C240, C430 & C727. These are expected to be rivals for the standard, hybrid and PHEV versions of the Hyundai Ioniq, as well as for variants in the Toyota Prius range.

Ford was understood to have been planning to build this additional model at Wayne Assembly in Michigan at the rate of around 120,000 units per annum. Job 1 was due in late 2018 for North America's 2019 model year. For that region, the model will be the effective replacement for the C-MAX series. It should be manufactured at either an expanded Cuautitlán or the future San Luis Potosí facility. As for the vehicle's name, 'Model E' is said one of the front runners.

There is much more in the article, the entire product line is reviewed, except for the F150 and larger trucks and Lincoln. How accurate is the info? I'm interested in the opinions of those in the know.

The entire article is here: http://www.just-auto.com/analysis/fords-future-models-and-platforms_id170332.aspx

Edited by Harley Lover

Wayne assembly?

I do hope they mean MAP, which is an entirely different plant as the old Wayne Assembly Plant has been closed for a number of years. There has been very heavy rumors floating around that they are reinstalling machinery at the now empty warehouse (former WAP building) to do something and rumors were that it was going to be either full replacement for the next gen-Explorer (taking it from Chicago) or overflow production of Explorer since CAP is struggling to keep up with demand.

Production of a T6 platform model on the North American continent might not have to wait for the next generation Ranger's scheduled appearance in 2019, either. Ford is said to be planning to bring back the Bronco model name, attaching this badge to a new SUV which would be closely related to the U375 Endeavour/Everest.

This fits in with everything I've been told by people who matter since I returned to MAP. C346 and C344 (Focus and C-Max respectively) are scheduled to end production at MAP in or around May of 2018, with downtime for Ranger retooling (and SOP) lasting anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months after that. Retooling time has yet to be determined at this time. Bronco SOP is as of right now scheduled sometime in late 2019 to early 2020 depending on the development timetable.

Wayne assembly?

I do hope they mean MAP, which is an entirely different plant as the old Wayne Assembly Plant has been closed for a number of years. There has been very heavy rumors floating around that they are reinstalling machinery at the now empty warehouse (former WAP building) to do something and rumors were that it was going to be either full replacement for the next gen-Explorer (taking it from Chicago) or overflow production of Explorer since CAP is struggling to keep up with demand.

I *think* the article is saying that the plan for "Wayne Assembly" was the former plan, and that the current plan it to build them " at either an expanded Cuautitlán or the future San Luis Potosí facility."

This fits in with everything I've been told by people who matter since I returned to MAP. C346 and C344 (Focus and C-Max respectively) are scheduled to end production at MAP in or around May of 2018, with downtime for Ranger retooling (and SOP) lasting anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months after that. Retooling time has yet to be determined at this time. Bronco SOP is as of right now scheduled sometime in late 2019 to early 2020 depending on the development timetable.

That would make sense given what the UAW contract has stated...an additional product will be built in 2020 at MAP with the Ranger. Just sucks that its going to take that long for a Bronco to appear....I was thinking late 2018/early 2019 at the latest.

That would make sense given what the UAW contract has stated...an additional product will be built in 2020 at MAP with the Ranger. Just sucks that its going to take that long for a Bronco to appear....I was thinking late 2018/early 2019 at the latest.

I've heard from someone in the know (who also posts here and shall remain nameless) that they are trying to do everything in their power to get the Bronco out sooner, but it's really depending on how the development goes.

I've heard from someone in the know (who also posts here and shall remain nameless) that they are trying to do everything in their power to get the Bronco out sooner, but it's really depending on how the development goes.

It's not really Ford's style to talk/rumors about something unless its pretty much ready to go within 2-3 years out as of late.

I just cringe a little bit when I hear that you might not be able to buy one till Summer 2020...who knows what gas prices will be etc...If they got it out Fall '17 or Summer/fall '18 I wouldn't worry as much.

With Ford Europe SOP of the MK4 Focus C519 slated for September 2017, it appears that Ford N.A. will delay the MK4 if your information is correct with the MK3 C346 staying in production as late as May 2018.

But I read an announcement from the plant manager of DEP Kevin Ford that they are preparing for the Focus C519 launching in 2017?

Completely ignored Explorer and CD6. The mustang new platform got moved up to 2020. I think there will be 2 C utilities produced in Mexico - a short and long Escape. The rest seems mostly correct.

A short and long Escape make 0 sense.

With Ford Europe SOP of the MK4 Focus C519 slated for September 2017, it appears that Ford N.A. will delay the MK4 if your information is correct with the MK3 C346 staying in production as late as May 2018.

But I read an announcement from the plant manager of DEP Kevin Ford that they are preparing for the Focus C519 launching in 2017?

Turns out to mean the MK3 focus will have been in production from march 2011 until may 2018, or 7 year and 3 months. while the fiesta will have been in production for 9 years? WTF.

Oh no, panic! Focus Mk3 on market for over 5 years, time for Ford to get a Bankruptcy lawyer!

Should they just whip an all new one out of their a$$ then?

Go buy a VW Golf station wagon, they are infallible and seem to be raking in loads of profits right? Oh wait, :P

Of maybe Ford should be doing as well as "Sergio Inc"? Oh wait again, they need a bail out too.

Subaru makes the Outback, but they are SUV's to their owners. Don't dare call them a wagon!

So what is the problem? No Focus wagons for Europhiles in the US? Like it or not, pure station wagons are out of style. VW even has a "Golf Outback" thing to get more sales. Only way they sell is with higher ride height and AWD option, call them CUV's and buyers sign their life away. Wagons? "no way, that's what my grandpa drove slow'

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Turns out to mean the MK3 focus will have been in production from march 2011 until may 2018, or 7 year and 3 months. while the fiesta will have been in production for 9 years? WTF.

Ford seems to have 7 year model cycles these days. The previous Fusion went from 2006 to 2012. I'm not surprised the Focus will run from 2012 model year to 2018.

Ford seems to have 7 year model cycles these days. The previous Fusion went from 2006 to 2012. I'm not surprised the Focus will run from 2012 model year to 2018.

When was the f150 on a 7 year cycle? What does it mean when the explorer is on a 8+ year cycle and the fiesta is on 9 year cycle?

I read that the next ecosport will be global, why waste money on duplicate product that may or may not be any larger for only the USA?

It's not going global if it is keeping the 4 meter Indian size. So far, we haven't seen any conclusive evidence that Ford is working on something bigger but we have seen mules using the existing EcoSport.

It's not going global if it is keeping the 4 meter Indian size. So far, we haven't seen any conclusive evidence that Ford is working on something bigger but we have seen mules using the existing EcoSport.

Some how GM and Honda have made it work, maybe Ford can too.

"Global" also does not equal everywhere. You can have a "global" product that is not sold in a particular market. So it is indeed possible certain markets such as India and others may get an "global" EcoSport that maintains the current size, while other markets (like the US and Europe) can get a "global" Equator or whatever they'd like to call it slotted between the baby EcoSport and Escape.