Ford June 2016 Sales: Delivers Best First-Half U.S. Sales in a Decade

Ford Delivers Best First-Half U.S. Sales in a Decade;

Strong Demand for F-Series, Ford Brand SUVs Drive Gains

• Ford Motor Company’s first-half 2016 total U.S. sales increase 5 percent to 1,353,048 vehicles – best results in a decade; sales up 6 percent in June versus year ago with 240,109 vehicles sold
  • Ford sold more than half a million trucks in the first half – a 13 percent gain – further widening Ford’s truck lead versus the competition; F-Series up 29 percent in June; vans jump 14 percent
  • Ford brand June SUV sales up 7 percent, driving all-time record first-half SUV sales; Edge up 12 percent, Escape gains 6 percent and Explorer grows 3 percent in first half
  • Lincoln posts a 13 percent gain for the first half of the year, thanks to strong performance from its newest SUVs, Lincoln MKC and Lincoln MKX; Lincoln sales up 6 percent in June
From Conference call:

F- Series $42,850 per truck

Best Ute performance in 16 years

Escape up 20% compared to last year.

Fleet numbers

Commercial up 23%

Govt up 46%

Rental down 10%

Compared to YTD 2015:

Lincoln sales up 13%

Lincoln SUVs up 25%

Also YTD sales

Ford USA....1,353,048....(1,293,621)...(4.6%)

GM USA .....1,438,915...(1,505,545)...(-4.4%)

Gap is .............85,868

Edited by jpd80

Mustang......9,776...(11,719)....(-16.6%)

Camaro.......4,969....(8,611).....(-42.3%)

Apparently some people prefer slow coupes over perfect premium chassis cars... :)

F- Series ....70,937...(55,171)...(+28.6%).....

LaNeve just said strong retail month for F 150 in particular and that any fleet increase was Government and Commercial.

I missed it but apparently, Lincoln is strong in California, Jersey, New York and Florida plus one other state (?)

those five states accounting for over 50% 0f Lincoln sales...

I have this really good feeling about Ford's Q2 result, the first six months sales are pretty close to GM

and daily rental sales are now falling back to normal...what if Ford dares greatly in fleet sales and wins...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Looking at GM pickup sales vs Ram and Ford I can see why they actually did those ads and confirmed my initial thoughts. It is pure desperation. They have flat sales in a market where Ford sales are up 10.7% and Ram are up 9%, on vehicles that can bring in 10K plus in profit.

Apparently some people prefer slow coupes over perfect premium chassis cars... :)

F- Series ....70,937...(55,171)...(+28.6%).....

LaNeve just said strong retail month for F 150 in particular and that any fleet increase was Government and Commercial.

I missed it but apparently, Lincoln is strong in California, Jersey, New York and Florida plus one other state (?)

I have this really good feeling about Ford's Q2 result, the first six months sales are pretty close to GM

and daily rental sales are now falling back to normal...what if Ford dares greatly in fleet sales and wins...

Anyways,

Very strong SUV sales are always great for business, the new '17 Escape is very well received with

customer feedback that they really like the new technology (new sync)

Gosh, I just saw..

Expedition....7,507

PI Ute............3,000

Explorer......17,356

Escape .......29,003

Edge............11,177

Flex................1,598

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Wow, F-Series is on pace for nearly 800k sales in 2016. That's impressive!

Look at the latest Ford F Series sales for June , after the Chevy attack ad…….no dents or cracks…..actually sales have increased and extended the Ford dominance over Chevy. So, in desperation Chevy tried the bear cage attack ad which failed and now the silly drop blocks ad which failed…..what’s next? How about a baby crying after being spanked?
  • Like 5

Look at the latest Ford F Series sales for June , after the Chevy attack ad…….no dents or cracks…..actually sales have increased and extended the Ford dominance over Chevy. So, in desperation Chevy tried the bear cage attack ad which failed and now the silly drop blocks ad which failed…..what’s next? How about a baby crying after being spanked?

Exactly so...

even if we include all of GM's trucks including Mid sized ...LINK to Deliveries pdf

It adds up to 79,271 where the F Series on its own is at 70,937

Silverado....49,662

Sierra..........17,162

Colorado......9,049

Canyon.........3,398

F Series.....70,937

To me that a massive effort with a new Super Duty due to drop really soon...

Edited by jpd80

How many people seeing those ads say 'Hey, what's this aluminum Ford about? Maybe I should go check that out?'

That's why you don't want to mention your competitor in your ads. Ads are not just about the product, but also about keeping your name in front of customers. By using your competitor's name, you are bringing their name to the front too. GM's marketing team apparently doesn't know what many arm-chair marketers figured out years ago.

• Like 1

Wow....this is unreal, especially after the redesigned (let's look like a corvette) Camaro launch.

That should be raising eyebrows over at the other camp...

Is GM building an incorrect product mix or are customers simply waiting for discounts..

Cruze....18,666

Focus.....19,491

Malibu.....16,138

Fusion.....26,520

In the sales call, Mark LaNeve mentioned that there's been a lot of feedback from

customers inquiring about Fusion Sport and also the '17 MKZ with TT V6 (2.7 & 3.0).

Fingers crossed that buyers really embrace those two products big time...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Wow....this is unreal, especially after the redesigned (let's look like a corvette) Camaro launch.

By all accounts the new Camaro is a much better car than the old one, but it looks exactly the same. I hope they got some savings from sharing the ATS platform because it sure doesn't seem to be helping with sales.

• Like 2

About 90,000 or a bit more, Inventory is up over 280K at the moment so flying along

in readiness for Super Duty change over...and then the fun begins again... :)

Those trucks go to Canada and Mexico as well, so maybe Volume is maxed out to production

but the huge inventory should get them through the peak buying months..

It looks like PI Ute is becoming the new Crown Victoria PI with sales up to 3,000 last month.

No doubt, sales to various Police departments are strengthening with time as more CVPIs retire.

Edited by jpd80

As F series gets closer to being maxed out that makes a better case for Ranger to pick up the additional volume.

I was looking at Chevy Colorado sales in June. It marks the 4th straight month of lower sales figures. I wonder if that limited mini truck market has exhausted it's once ballyhooed proclamation that it would steal many full sized owners away. Not happening!

Edited by bdegrand
  • Like 1

I think the thing that hurting the new Camaro is the premium pricing it has.

A Mustang GT starts at 33K...a Camaro 1SS starts at 37K

Since I've moved back to New Jersey in April, I've seen a shit ton of MKZs...then again it helps when the population goes from around 300K to 1.5 million and the median house income goes from $66K to $84K. Hopefully the Continental takes off too.

Speaking of luxury cars...I drive past a Maserati dealership (right down the street from where I work) and they move the cars inside every evening...when I'm driving past it at 7AM the lot is empty, but when I leave it has a couple cars there.

• Like 1

As F series gets closer to being maxed out that makes a better case for Ranger to pick up the additional volume.

That's a great point... One of the arguments we previously used to make sense of Ranger getting axed was that Ford had a 3-prone approach:

1. It can crank out more F-150 with higher profit margin to switch diehard truck buyers to fullsize

2. It can switch retail Ranger buyers to CUVs which is does daily driver thing better than Ranger

3. It can switch fleet Ranger buyers to Transit Connect that is better matched to the service tasks

But look at it now again, you can see how there is room again for a smaller truck, since F-150, Escape, and Transit Connect are all volume constrained.

Ford is doing it right for sure.

The Expedition had an incredible month, why on Earth is that? The Navigator didn't benefit, sales continue to dip on that one.

Taurus took a huge dive probably because of fleet sales from the previous month, it's selling in fewer numbers than several Lincoln products.

I do think Mustang and Camaro have likely peaked out so it's going to be hard to see growth there for quite awhile.

Lincoln continues to grow very modestly, new MKX is holding steady nearly a year after it went on sale. That being said, XT5 is already outselling both Lincoln Crossovers combined.

As for Ranger, I'm sure it will take sales from F-Series, but I'm sure Ford doesn't want to loose potential customers to other brands either. For that reason, I do think Ranger in the US would exist only because GM forced the issue so you can thank them for that if you're a Ranger fan. The Midsize truck at GM probably works for them because of their constrained truck production and aging/limited Crossover selection. I think Ranger will do well at Ford because of the huge F-Series audience which I'm sure will be interested a cheaper alternative, which I'm sure Ford realizes and hasn't really wanted.

Edited by BORG

That's a great point... One of the arguments we previously used to make sense of Ranger getting axed was that Ford had a 3-prone approach:

1. It can crank out more F-150 with higher profit margin to switch diehard truck buyers to fullsize

2. It can switch retail Ranger buyers to CUVs which is does daily driver thing better than Ranger

3. It can switch fleet Ranger buyers to Transit Connect that is better matched to the service tasks

But look at it now again, you can see how there is room again for a smaller truck, since F-150, Escape, and Transit Connect are all volume constrained.

That makes sense, but I think a bigger driver was that it didn't make sense to update the platform or keep the factory open for such a small volume at the time. Even now it's not going to be Ranger by itself - there will be 2 or 3 vehicles on the same platform and in the same factory. And it's a strategic platform, not a dead end.

I wonder if the increase in Expedition sales is largely government sales. Would be a great way to get back at Trump for his targeted criticism of Ford's Mexican plants. Instead of criticizing Ford for perhaps he should jawbone people to buy domestics - but then that's not good politics.

On a more related point, any guess on how much of June's Fusion and Escape sales were 2017's? They were aggressively promoting the 2016's in June.

Edited by Fordowner
  • Like 1

That makes sense, but I think a bigger driver was that it didn't make sense to update the platform or keep the factory open for such a small volume at the time. Even now it's not going to be Ranger by itself - there will be 2 or 3 vehicles on the same platform and in the same factory. And it's a strategic platform, not a dead end.

I heard a rumor last night about a third vehicle going into MAP. Ranger, Bronco and what was suggested to me to be the Troller, which blows my mind that the Bronco comes back, AND a smaller Wrangler-esque vehicle would come at around the same time.

Take that with a grain of salt for now, need to try to do some digging on that one.