Buick Vernono....is dead

Fgts

I can see a dilemma when they dress up Cruize with Verano's options, they will have to do the same with Malibu which will put the Regal at a disadvantage.

The Verano was also one of the best selling small premium nameplates and it had the potential to bring new shoppers into the Buick brand.

I just looked and Verano outsells Regal by a big margin. Is it also really more important to have a Cascada in the line up?!!

I can see what they are saying about the Encore though, it is selling well, but isn't it also hurting the Chevrolet version as well?

If they are serious about Buick, they should adopt the strategy Lincoln is using and now seems to be paying off. (improve dealership experience, differentiate products from lower brand, not waste resources on Cascadas before staple products)

I just looked and Verano outsells Regal by a big margin. Is it also really more important to have a Cascada in the line up?!!

Cascada's immigration was a direct reaction to the cancellation of the 200 convertible... They saw this hole in the marketplace being completely ignored and thought it would be an easy way to pump up volume of a vehicle they already had. Realtors, old ladies, and Florida vacationers needed something, and the General pounced. It's a decidedly average product that already feels several model years old, but Enterprise doesn't care.

I can see what they are saying about the Encore though, it is selling well, but isn't it also hurting the Chevrolet version as well?

Encore routinely outsells Trax, but it's also been a much more desirable product. Trax has an MCE coming, so that could help. The thing drives and feels like a new-for-2006 model.

If they are serious about Buick, they should adopt the strategy Lincoln is using and now seems to be paying off. (improve dealership experience, differentiate products from lower brand, not waste resources on Cascadas before staple products)

This problems, as most of GM's issues, goes back to the sporadic pairing of brands between markets. The "anything but Chevy" Sweeping Arch dealership facade design standard was conceptualized to accommodate any combination of GMC, Buick, Cadillac, or Pontiac outlets, and I believe there were a few with Saturn worked in as well. It's a bandaid meant to give the appearance of a consolidated dealer concept, but it's nothing more than a decent looking facade and interior package that doesn't come with any real requirements of the dealer to step up their game. Bbeyond the aesthetics, there is none of the attention to detail as we've seen Lincoln obsess over, and for good reason: There's no such thing as a "Buick" dealer concept, or a "GMC" dealer concept... only a vaguely premium dealership concept for any combinations of brands that aren't Chevrolet (and even then, the 2 different facades can attach to the same main building). Once Ford axed Mercury and drastically reduced the number of Ford/Lincoln shops that shared all spaces, it was much easier for them to define, and thus make requirements for, the Lincoln dealership experience.

I can see a dilemma when they dress up Cruize with Verano's options, they will have to do the same with Malibu which will put the Regal at a disadvantage.

As much as I don't like to see the Vernono go it make sense to have one competitive compact to concentrate on rather then several, besides the Cascada can take the compact Buick sales and could sale more Regals.

Speaking of Regals the Regal gets the same body as Malibu but with awd, 6-speed and probable H.O. 2.0t (300hp). I wouldn't be to surprised to see the Caddy 3.0tt under the Regal hood to combat MKZ 3.0.

Edited by Fgts

In the longer term it certainly makes sense to ditch a premium priced economy car like Verano, but it was moving allot of vehicles. Buick's lineup is just a catch-all for regional products and very little of it makes sense.

• Like 1

If Acura car buyers moved anywhere, it was most likely to an Acura crossover, or to a (leased) BMW. They weren't going to buy a Buick, no matter what the gang over at GMInsideNews.com wanted to believe.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

The Verano was popular with an older clientele.

Correct. In the "Luxury Traditional Subcompact" segment for MY 2011 - 2015 cumulatively, IHS Automotive reported that Buick Verano captured a relatively high rate of buyers older than 44 years of age, while Acura ILX was the top pick for buyers in the 18 - 34 years age group.

In the longer term it certainly makes sense to ditch a premium priced economy car like Verano, but it was moving allot of vehicles. Buick's lineup is just a catch-all for regional products and very little of it makes sense.

It wasn't premium priced... it starts at $21k and tops out under $30k, same as Civic EX and Touring (or Focus SE with luxury package and Titanium). The only thing missing from Verano's line up was a stripped entry level model for $17~18k like Focus S or Civic LX.

But I agree with you that It makes sense for GM to quit Verano and move that business over to Cruze. But frankly that calls into question the entire reason for keeping Buick around in the US. But as long as GM can't get rid of the Buick/GMC dealer network, they have to keep making lemonades with lemons.

Local dealers were pushing Verano as "cheap Buick" aimed at Century owners.

Even though the last Century was just a generic W body, older people liked the badge. But they are a fading clientele. Best to sell them the Encore and how 'easy to drive' the CUV is, which can also attract 40-50 something buyers who don't care about old LeSabres.

And then again, wouldn't a "GMC Encore" work?

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Buick is a relatively strong brand in the Midwestern U.S.

Sure, but look at what Buick is selling in the Midwest (or anywhere) - it's SUVs. My comments was directed at the article that said GM is pivoting Buick towards a SUV brand which is what GMC was supposed to be. If GM doesn't want to sell Buick cars anymore (Lacrosse will be the only relevant car left on the list and fullsize sedan sales are falling fast), it basically undermined the premise for keeping the brand alive in the US as a companion car brand for GMC dealers. So now GM has two full line SUVs brands under the same dealer network - exactly like when they had Pontiac and Buick - two full line cars under the same dealer network.

Edited by bzcat

• 3 weeks later...

It's official now, see stories all over. Ends in October this year.

Cue the hand wringing from old car fans "What will seniors drive?"

Well, they certainly like to drive the Encore these days. It is a different generation than the beige Centurys from 15-25 years ago.