2012 MKT EcoBoost Tire Replacement-20" Rims

socalred

OEM Goodyear's wore out at 35 to 40K. Replaced with Pilot Sport A/S 3 Michelin's wore out 25K. Replaced with same (warranty) almost worn out 17K. Balance and alignment checked OK.

What tire would you recommend? Need M+S type tires. Like quite.

Also, anyone know if wheels could be replaced with 18" or 19" wheels and tires?

Thanks!

Yes, you can switch out to 18" rims, standard size on vehicle. 19" sizes are kinda hard to come by. I have 20" Perellis' on my Lincoln MKX and plan on replacing them with General Alti-MAX RT43's as soon as they are available.

I'm not positive on the MKT but the flex, 18's won't fit if you have the tow package. We were chasing a vibration and had a new flex with 18's and the problem vehicle had 19's. Because the problem vehicle had the tow package, the 18's would not clear the calipers. The brakes were larger. Just a little warning.

• Like 1

I'm not positive on the MKT but the flex, 18's won't fit if you have the tow package. We were chasing a vibration and had a new flex with 18's and the problem vehicle had 19's. Because the problem vehicle had the tow package, the 18's would not clear the calipers. The brakes were larger. Just a little warning.

I have the tow package on my MKX and it has the 20's....I put 17's on it for winter months with zero problems.

I have the tow package on my MKX and it has the 20's....I put 17's on it for winter months with zero problems.

MKT and MKX have different brakes. The MKT related to the Flex is why I mentioned that. It may not matter on his MKT, but I was stating my experience on a flex.

I think he wants a different tire that has longer treadlife. Pilot Sport A/S is a fantastic performance tire but it's not designed for long life. I'd say get these pro-rated and start saving for a new brand/model.

We got close to 40K out of the Michelin Latitudes on our old Edge.

How about a set Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL tires? They are an All Season Performance tire that I use my SHO, which is basically the sedan version of your car.

They last about 45K mile and they work great in the snow with the SHO and even worked decently on my Mustang GT I have them on also.

• 1 month later...

Costco replaced the tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) at 20k with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 + which appear to have more tread and heaver feel. Will see how the wear goes. I can't complain with new tires every 20k with the new tire ride and quite rolling. I'm paying only by the mile.