2015 F350 upgrade MFT to sync 3

wgunkel

I am interested in finding out if (assuming its not over the top expensive) in updating my NAV system from MFT to the new Sync 3. I assume this will requre a hardware change. The question is will the new hardware fit my 2015 F350 Super Duty.

Given that I am a tech nerd I like having the leatest hardware. Currently my trunk is confirmed with, scanner, ham radio and CB...

It should but it's about $2K in parts alone since you have to change out the apim, touch screen and several other components. And Ford won't know you have sync 3 so you probably won't get any updates.

Somebody is actually selling a kit for that for $2K on the web.

It should but it's about $2K in parts alone since you have to change out the apim, touch screen and several other components. And Ford won't know you have sync 3 so you probably won't get any updates.

Somebody is actually selling a kit for that for $2K on the web.

Yea I say a link - One year gurantee and as you say no updates. Hoping Ford was going to do someing offical.

Yea I say a link - One year gurantee and as you say no updates. Hoping Ford was going to do someing offical.

Why would they? How many people would spend $2K on that type of upgrade? I'd say you and maybe 2 others. :)

What is more plausible is that they backport the sync 3 software to MFT hardware (without the hardware specific features of course like pinch to zoom, etc.) - assuming the hardware can handle a slimmed down version.

Why would they? How many people would spend $2K on that type of upgrade? I'd say you and maybe 2 others. :)

What is more plausible is that they backport the sync 3 software to MFT hardware (without the hardware specific features of course like pinch to zoom, etc.) - assuming the hardware can handle a slimmed down version.

Point made - but being a software engineering back porting would be lot of work and would not be done unless there was large demand for the software update. Personally OK with MFT works OK for me. But the new screen layout of the Sync 3 fixes the issue being able to find and hit buttons even when stopped (and of course we all stop to change settings :) )

Edited by wgunkel

I always thought Ford should go ahead and create an upgrade accessory for MFT navigation. It costs $750 from the factory. Make a $1000 kit. People have no issue paying for aftermarket integration kits so they are missing a market. Sync 3 upgrades are more complex but I think there will be a market for it. As vehicles are lasting longer and cost as much as they do, customers are looking to update rather than replace them.

Edited by fordtech1

I agree it would be nice. There is a member in the Explorer forum who has done this to his 2016 but it is more then just hardware. There is software involved as well that gets very complicated. There are more lines of code in Sync 3 then MFT and he had issues getting the left screen on the cluster to work correctly.

Through programming changes he was finally able to get it done but as I said, it is more then just hardware. They also changed a lot of software between the 2015 and 2016 model years even though the 2016 (again explorer) is the same MFT..

I'm assuming Ford is not offering it because it is just too damn complex across the whole entire line to get it working for every MY and not worth their return on investment.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Count me as one of the 2. :) I would love to install Sync 3 in my Raptor and I'd pay the $2K or so do it.

Just trade it for a '17! :)

I have the pricing sheet for the 2017s and when I priced out a 17 to be as close as my 15 Platinum it was almost $6,000 more. AND..... you can still option higher now with the 17s.

A Load 17 Platinum F350 will run you $78,000 sticker price.. a F450 Platinum will sticker at about $85,000.

LOL.. I'm glad I put under 10,000 miles a year on my 15 because I can't justify nor afford these prices.

I have the pricing sheet for the 2017s and when I priced out a 17 to be as close as my 15 Platinum it was almost $6,000 more. AND..... you can still option higher now with the 17s.

A Load 17 Platinum F350 will run you $78,000 sticker price.. a F450 Platinum will sticker at about $85,000.

LOL.. I'm glad I put under 10,000 miles a year on my 15 because I can't justify nor afford these prices.

Yeah but that '17 Plat has more features than your '15. Can you really even compare them?

I know what you mean about price though. I've been looking and it's easy to option these new trucks up over $70k. I want a Lariat with LEDs, but to do that you have to get the Lariat Ultimate for $3500 plus the LEDs are a $1k option! Sheesh!

For comparably equipped trucks the prices didn't change all that much, but add some options and the price climbs quickly.

Yeah but that '17 Plat has more features than your '15. Can you really even compare them?

I know what you mean about price though. I've been looking and it's easy to option these new trucks up over $70k. I want a Lariat with LEDs, but to do that you have to get the Lariat Ultimate for $3500 plus the LEDs are a $1k option! Sheesh!

For comparably equipped trucks the prices didn't change all that much, but add some options and the price climbs quickly.

You can still build them just like the 15/16s.

I just pulled the order guide and went option for option on what I have currently and what the 2017 pricing is with the same options.

The only difference is with the Platinum, you get the LED headlights and taillights which you can't option without so that is built into the price.

Taking into account those 2 things, the truck is still $4,400 more MSRP. There were plenty of options to add on more (Platinum Ultimate Package for one). So you were not getting really anything more besides the headlight/taillights for $4,400!!! OUCH!!

Now if you look at the base pricing of a stripped down XLT, you are talking about $900.

You can still build them just like the 15/16s.

I just pulled the order guide and went option for option on what I have currently and what the 2017 pricing is with the same options.

The only difference is with the Platinum, you get the LED headlights and taillights which you can't option without so that is built into the price.

Taking into account those 2 things, the truck is still $4,400 more MSRP. There were plenty of options to add on more (Platinum Ultimate Package for one). So you were not getting really anything more besides the headlight/taillights for $4,400!!! OUCH!!

Now if you look at the base pricing of a stripped down XLT, you are talking about $900.

You also get these on the '17 Platinum, that weren't available on the '16:

• Power deployable running board
  • Remote Tailgate Release
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Illuminated Scuff Plates
  • Automatic High Beam with Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
  • BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow (BLIS® sensor in taillamp)
  • LED Box Lighting (incl. LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL))
  • Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel with heat and memory (I think the '16 has heated, right?)
  • High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, Utility Lighting System (LED Side-mirror Spotlights) on tow mirrors
  • 110V/400W outlets; one (1) dash mounted and one (1) in rear console

Now, whether that is worth $4400 or not, I can't say, but you do get a lot more on the '17 than you do on the '16. Like I said, comparable equipped vehicles have not gone up that much in price. Some, yes, but not crazy amounts. If you want to compare a '16 Plat to a '17, the Lariat Ultimate with 20" wheels would likely be a better comparison.