2016 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM PP QUALITY

jgirata

As a counter to silvrsvt's experience on his 15 GT , I recently took delivery (Mar 25) of my special order 16 GT Premium w/PP. I've since put 1,300 miles on it and have purposely tried to use all systems and features looking for a flaw - NONE FOUND, Zero, as in flawless. The car's paint, interior, wheels (nickel finish) and powertrain are absolutely flawless. This was a major concern for me as it took close to 4 months from order to delivery and during this period I had lots of time to imagine problems like silvrsvt's - This is my third Mustang GT and is so far superior to earlier versions that it's hard to believe it comes from the same manufacturer. This is a true GT car with fantastic performance, styling and sophistication (and, no, I do not work for Ford!) :love_shower:

April 18, 2016 addendum: Now have over 2,000 miles on car and still no flaws found. However, gas mileage sucks! I've been purposely driving the car carefully as I'm rather anal about break-in - vary speeds and RPM, easy warmup and driving style. I'm averaging just over 17 MPG on what is predominately highway cruising miles - is this normal on a new 5.0? In any case, the car is just fantastic. Great power and torque (except in 6th gear), surprisingly quiet at highway cruising speeds (60 - 80) and sophistication and smoothness that are on a par with much more expensive cars I've owned (BMWs and MBs).

September 21, 2016 update: Now have over 9,000 miles on car. Rear tires shot, and I'm not a speed racer, although I do like to feel acceleration in 3rd & 4th, which I do routinely. In any case, looking to put some high-mileage Michelins on the rear (500 wear rating, per Tire Rack). Still a flawless car. Thrilled by quality, absence of squeeks and rattles and overall solid feel of car. Mileage hovers around 16 MPG in my mixed driving. Got a little over 24 on a carefully orchestrated highway trip. Not sure how Ford managed the 25 MPG highway rating as I've been able to beat the highway rating on every car I've owned (Hondas, BMWs, Mercedes, Acuras, etc). Also, my drivers side pony lamp projection from the side mirror is shot - will talk to dealer about this. Also, I've used about a quart of oil in 3,500 miles since last change. I'm sure dealer will tell me this is "within spec", but I haven't had a new car use oil in the last 20+ years of purchases. Oh well, none of my cars had 435 HP either, so I can't complain too much.

Can't say enough good things about the job Ford has done with this product - truly a world-class quality performance car at a bargain price.

2/2/17 Update: 12,500 miles. Still flawless, although consumes ~ 1 quart of oil in 3,000 miles. Installes Ford Racing's Borla Touring exhaust. Excellent, slightly deeper exhaust note, no significant drone on highway, but very slightly louder engine note. Still getting 16 - 17 MPG. Performance excellent and still not rattles or mechanical or cosmetic flaws. Maybe I'm just lucky, but this is a very high quality product and shows a lot of attention to details. Put Michelin Sport A/S 3+ on at about 9,500 mi - look good and perform well so far.

Edited by jgirata
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a counter to silvrsvt's experience on his 15 GT , I recently took delivery (Mar 25) of my special order 16 GT Premium w/PP. I've since put 1,300 miles on it and have purposely tried to use all systems and features looking for a flaw - NONE FOUND, Zero, as in flawless. The car's paint, interior, wheels (nickel finish) and powertrain are absolutely flawless. This was a major concern for me as it took close to 4 months from order to delivery and during this period I had lots of time to imagine problems like silvrsvt's - This is my third Mustang GT and is so far superior to earlier versions that it's hard to believe it comes from the same manufacturer. This is a true GT car with fantastic performance, styling and sophistication (and, no, I do not work for Ford!) :love_shower:

April 18, 2016 addendum: Now have over 2,000 miles on car and still no flaws found. However, gas mileage sucks! I've been purposely driving the car carefully as I'm rather anal about break-in - vary speeds and RPM, easy warmup and driving style. I'm averaging just over 17 MPG on what is predominately highway cruising miles - is this normal on a new 5.0? In any case, the car is just fantastic. Great power and torque (except in 6th gear), surprisingly quiet at highway cruising speeds (60 - 80) and sophistication and smoothness that are on a par with much more expensive cars I've owned (BMWs and MBs).

I am really glad to hear this. I have a 2016 GT Premium Vert PP on order. This will be the first american car I have ever purchased. Coming from a long line of BMWs.

I've driven Ford's and a few Mercury Cougars (1974 & 1976) for all my driving years and have had Ford company cars (Demo's) for just over thirty years now. As such, I'm a big Ford fan but not opposed to being critical of the company when I feel it's warranted. I've lost count of the number of Mustang brochures I've given out to prospective customers and fans that have stopped me to ask about the latest generation Mustang. One thing that I will not due is point out flaws in the current Mustang which although few, are important regarding the overall production quality. Before anyone from the Flat Rock Assembly Plant jumps on me, my complaint has nothing to do related to the FRAP employees but with Ford engineering.

So what's my beef with the Mustang quality? Simply that the fit and finish on the body panels is horrible!!! The average customer really doesn't look at the fit and finish all that closely and few if any complain although I expect that global/export customers may look at the vehicle differently. I'm not talking a few cars with poor fit and finish, it's a consistent problem. Take a close look at all the places where body panels are joined and you'll see for yourself. It's too bad for such an exceptionally designed vehicle that deserves better. Unfortunately, Ford Motor Company has reverted to its old ways and is only concerned with selling as many vehicles as possible at the lowest costs, while cutting the dealer margins.

Ice-capades

Let me guess, A-pillar and C-pillar interior panels are consistently a problem? I'm fixing the a-pillars all night long when I install weather strips (the one at the top of the window). Some of it is operator error, for sure since some days it's worse than others but buy and large it does seem there is a common denominator in it being a parts issue.

You wouldn't believe how many weather strips I send to scrap daily just because they're so badly out of spec and missing pins or double sided tape. It's absurd.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

ice-capades

So what's my beef with the Mustang quality? Simply that the fit and finish on the body panels is horrible!!! The average customer really doesn't look at the fit and finish all that closely and few if any complain although I expect that global/export customers may look at the vehicle differently. I'm not talking a few cars with poor fit and finish, it's a consistent problem. Take a close look at all the places where body panels are joined and you'll see for yourself. It's too bad for such an exceptionally designed vehicle that deserves better. Unfortunately, Ford Motor Company has reverted to its old ways and is only concerned with selling as many vehicles as possible at the lowest costs, while cutting the dealer margins.

Here's my experience with fit and finish with my '16 GT ordered last October:

I noticed three flaws when doing the initial walk around:

1) The black trunk lid panel had a scratch near the GT emblem. The scratch was too deep to buff out so the dealer immediately put in for a new panel which had to be approved first by Ford, which it was. Once it arrived, which took about 2 weeks, I set up an appointment for the dealer to install it. When I came in for the appointment the body shop gave me some bad news: the panel arrived damaged from Ford, which unfortunately they didn't check before I got there. They ordered a new one (which I later heard run around $1000 each) and I set up a new appointment. By that time I decided that flaw 3 was not something I could live with so I called Ford Customer Service and they approved the repair, along with a loaner car for the day. (which they didn't initially approve until I pushed them on it.)

2) Trunk rear panel gaps were off slightly, left vs right. The dealer indicated all their Mustangs were coming in this way. Mine is not very noticeable from ~10 feet but I'm pretty particular about this stuff and picked it up on close inspection.

3) The tip of the front quarter panel versus the hood were off by ~3/8" which is huge - and it was very noticeable. Again the dealer indicated they were seeing most coming through that way. The alignment on the right side is very good.

The repair turned out to be a fairly simple realignment of the left quarter panel. The body shop had to loosen the bolt at the top of the panel and near the front and push it forward as well as left to right to get the lines straight. Sounds like the factory is omitting a check for this for some reason, but who knows.

See the photos of before and after repairs which took a day and while it was there they also repaired a good size chip at the tip of the hood over the left headlight at no charge.

Interestingly I recall someone on this forum from Michigan who ordered a gray '16 GT and was having a hard time figuring out why it was held up in a distribution facility. He posted photos of the car and I zoomed in on the left front headlight to see if his car had the same alignment issue. Sure enough, his car looked identical to mine, which backs my dealers comments about the cars they receive.

post-54155-0-05462900-1462123741_thumb.jpg

post-54155-0-74243200-1462123742_thumb.jpg

post-54155-0-37497700-1462123755_thumb.jpg

Edited by cph125
  • Like 1

I actually did notice some issues that our dealership said they'll fix for us but minor things. The rear bumper on the driver side doesn't align properly with the quarter panel and the drivers door also doesn't align flush with the rear quarter pannel.

Why don't dealers automatically inspect vehicles for fit finish prior to customers ever seeing any new vehicles? They are the representatives of the company, although I'm guessing it has something to do with compensation for that work.

Why don't dealers automatically inspect vehicles for fit finish prior to customers ever seeing any new vehicles? They are the representatives of the company, although I'm guessing it has something to do with compensation for that work.

Due to warranty issues most dealers are not going to file a claim unless a customer complains or it's a major issue. Customer Service side of Ford wants the tech to fix it all. The warranty side, like all insurance companies, want to save money.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Has anyone had paint issues? I have a 16 GTCS in competition orange. I have a spot on the decklid below the spoiler. Its about 2-3 inches wide and it's dull. Sort of looks like over spray or a spot they missed when sanding? Once I take it out of winter storage it will be going back to the dealer.

• 3 months later...