Anyone know which V8 the Ford GT Ganassi team is going to use?

RaZor

No doubt some of you have heard the rumors that Ford is reconfiguring the GT with a V8 for Le Mans. One would assume that it would be the GT360 5.2L FPC engine, but then . . .

Is it going to be only for Le Mans, or just for WEC, or for IMSA too?

Was it posted last Friday by chance? No way they're changing engines this late.

Yeah . . . that's what I thought too. I received it in a couple of emails . . . both of which didn't cite source . . . and still can't.

I just hope that the EB engine performs as planned. Ford has a lot 'invested' in it. Problem with turbo'd engines is that sanctions can really affect outcome by tweaking boost too easily.

It would be great if the GT could win class.

It would have to be the 5.2L FPC from the GT350 mustang. That engine has only been racing in the mustangs for a few months and hasn't run a single endurance race. It would be idiotic to put it in at the last minute not to mention it would require special authorization since that engine doesn't go into the production GT.

It was an April fools joke... http://www.hotrod.com/news/1604-ford-gt-switches-from-ecoboost-v6-to-v8s-for-le-mans-racing-program/

Ford would not reveal anything about the internals of its racing V8, but it did allow HOT ROD to take a couple of shots around a heavily guarded specimen for Ford enthusiasts to drool over. We can’t wait for Le Mans to see these bad boys in action, and hear that V8 music to our ears. [OK, we actually just made this up April Fools]
Edited by NLPRacing

They didn't have any engine problems in the Sebring 12. I can't remember the problem with the 66 car at Daytona, but that engine ran IMSA all last year in the Ganassi prototype so I don't expect any engine problems.

It was an electronics issue IIRC

And F*** April fools day. Such a stupid thing.

I would have rather seen the 5.2L N/A engine in the GT originally but, yes that was definitely a April Fools joke. They wouldn't need a turbo to get the 600 horsepower from a race version of the Voodoo engine needed to compete in GTLM anyway.

There is some speculation that the EB 5.0L is going to be the next GT500 engine. They have built a prototype Twin Turbo Coyote 5.0L V8, and put it in a Cobra Jet Mustang a year or so ago, and it looked awesome. But, it fits better in the less crowded "Off Road Only" engine compartment.