Ford back in Open Wheel (NZ/AU) . . . Kind of . .

IMSA-XJR9

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/03/31/modern-formula-5000-category-launched/

The brainchild of historic Formula 5000 racer Chris Lambden, the proposed category has been dubbed Formula Thunder 5000.

It will utilise a Swift-designed, Australian-built evolution of a chassis originally created for Formula Nippon, fitted with a locally developed 5.0 litre Ford Coyote based V8 engine.

Formula-Thunder-1.png

Engine-in-situ_1.jpg

I read the comment section for the article and it didn't take long before someone advocated the use a bowtie engine instead of the Coyote. One comment actually stated that if one wanted high "REVS" to use a Chevy. I would guess that the OHC Coyote design can be assembled to have a lot more usable "REVS" available than any pushrod engine of similar displacement and cost. Besides, the Coyote looks like a modern race engine; and not something from the 50's.

I read the comment section for the article and it didn't take long before someone advocated the use a bowtie engine instead of the Coyote. One comment actually stated that if one wanted high "REVS" to use a Chevy. I would guess that the OHC Coyote design can be assembled to have a lot more usable "REVS" available than any pushrod engine of similar displacement and cost. Besides, the Coyote looks like a modern race engine; and not something from the 50's.

There is usually no logic in fandom regardless of whether it's a bowtie or a blue oval.

Ummm, I don't think there is any bowtie engine that can give you "REVS" like the Coyote-derived 5.2L FPC in the GT350.

Very expensive programs without much ROI. Ford did learn a lot about suspensions and handling from their old F1 team but I think IMSA is a much better investment.

It would seem an IndyCar program with Ford EcoBoost branded engines would make sense considering they use 2.2L V6's with twin turbos.

It would seem an IndyCar program with Ford EcoBoost branded engines would make sense considering they use 2.2L V6's with twin turbos.

Ecoboost engine supplier would make sense, although they already have that with IMSA and the 3.5LEB.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Little update and video from testing . . .

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1611/formula-thunder-5000-in-action

formula-thunder-5000-in-action.jpg

Using a US-built Formula Nippon car as a base, a 5.0-litre Coyote V8 from the Ford Mustang is installed along with a six-speed paddleshift gearbox from Holinger.

While relatively heavy for a single seater, a claimed power output of almost 450kW means performance is ballistic, as can be seen from the video at the head of this article.

• Like 2