Next Focus, Longer/Wider

Still control blade IRs

New-Ford-Focus-Mule-3.jpg

A wider Focus? Great idea. A Lincoln could be derived from that IMHO. :)

it's is strange that the body of the mule is wider, but the track looks unchanged

I never thought the focus needed to be any wider.

Focus 71.8

vs

Fusion 72.9in

but......

the Floorpan could be widened to improve interior space while moving the doors and fenders further inward to maintain width.

maybe?

You can tell from that shot they moved the engine backwards?

heres a shot from a 2013 from above...it looks like it did get pushed back a bit going by the new valve cover on the engine...I wonder what the hell that big red thing is....battery pack or electric motor or something?

http://wildsau.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/engine-bay3.jpg

They've also apparently re-engineered the strut mounts. They don't look like the current model. I'm wondering if they've merged the front engine cradle/suspension/firewall spacing with revised CD4.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you'd use the same stampings for everything, but it would streamline the engineering process.

When you add width and leg room to a compact it basically becomes a small mid sized car.

Ford has to make up its mind with what it wants to do with Fiesta and Focus, either keep them

as large subcompact and large compact cars or make them bigger to become small Compact

and small mid sized cars.

Edited by jpd80

Engine bay in this mule looks the same as the current Focus.

1st image is a closer pic of the mule's engine bay

2nd is a 2015 1.0 EB engine bay

You can't tell by the angle of the image, ither way I'd expect changes to the engine packaging , to save weight and improve performance.

They've also apparently re-engineered the strut mounts. They don't look like the current model. I'm wondering if they've merged the front engine cradle/suspension/firewall spacing with revised CD4.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you'd use the same stampings for everything, but it would streamline the engineering process.

It makes sense.

For the US I think you could add a couple of inches to both Focus and Fiesta width and length no problem, but I don't know if that would have adverse impacts to other regions since these are global vehicles.

For Focus sedan, there is room to grow because China and US market (coincidentally, the two places where Focus sedan sells in large numbers) both desire larger compact sedan. But for Focus hatch, any directional growth will start to limit the appeal of the model in Europe as Focus is already one of the largest compact C-segment hatchback.

The solution may be to break them up... like how VW has Golf (hatchback only) and bigger Jetta (sedan), or Hyundai has i30 (hatchback only) and bigger Elantra (sedan), or the outgoing Euro Civic (hatchback only) and bigger US Civic (sedan). But I'm not sure that is the direction Ford is headed (and of course some are headed in the opposite direction like Honda, which is bring the two Civics back together).

As for Fiesta... I think it's definitely time for Ford to make it 2 different models. Keep Fiesta (hatchback) as is for mature markets that prefers premium subcompact cars. And replace the sedan to a different model that is sized appropriately (for lack of better term, I shall refer to it as "B+" segment) like Nissan Versa, Skoda Rapid, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio etc. The slightly larger "B+" model can also form the basis of a larger CUV to replace the EcoSport.

For Focus sedan, there is room to grow because China and US market (coincidentally, the two places where Focus sedan sells in large numbers) both desire larger compact sedan. But for Focus hatch, any directional growth will start to limit the appeal of the model in Europe as Focus is already one of the largest compact C-segment hatchback.

The solution may be to break them up... like how VW has Golf (hatchback only) and bigger Jetta (sedan), or Hyundai has i30 (hatchback only) and bigger Elantra (sedan), or the outgoing Euro Civic (hatchback only) and bigger US Civic (sedan). But I'm not sure that is the direction Ford is headed (and of course some are headed in the opposite direction like Honda, which is bring the two Civics back together).

As for Fiesta... I think it's definitely time for Ford to make it 2 different models. Keep Fiesta (hatchback) as is for mature markets that prefers premium subcompact cars. And replace the sedan to a different model that is sized appropriately (for lack of better term, I shall refer to it as "B+" segment) like Nissan Versa, Skoda Rapid, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio etc. The slightly larger "B+" model can also form the basis of a larger CUV to replace the EcoSport.

I read a North American document dated June 2015 that stated rather than the next‐generation Fiesta the C484 program will be a Small Car to replace the Fiesta at Cuautitlán.

This C484 is not the new EcoSport B515.

This document also mentions the timings for next Ford Escape (C482) have been adjusted at both Cuautitlán and Louisville Truck with SOP December 2018.

I was surprised to see that the next Escape is planned at Cuautitlan along with Louisville.

• Like 1

I read a North American document dated June 2015 that stated rather than the next‐generation Fiesta the C484 program will be a Small Car to replace the Fiesta at Cuautitlán.

This document also mentions the timings for next Ford Escape (C482) have been adjusted at both Cuautitlán and Louisville Truck with SOP December 2018.

I was surprised to see that the next Escape is planned at Cuautitlan along with Louisville.

Would you happen to have a link to that document? I'm very curious to read it.

Anything to read into that Fiesta's program code beginning with a C instead of a B?

There is something going on behind the front bumper on both sides of the grill. Sensors behind some panels?

Autonomous?

The center area is the Stop/Go Adaptive Cruise/high speed auto brake radar, low speed is usually camera based, camera is consulted for high speed but first indications come from this sensor. It is already available on the current Euro Focus. Ford managed to actually center the sensor on the Focus/Escape class of cars.

Anything to read into that Fiesta's program code beginning with a C instead of a B?

It sounds like they could be dividing the C platform and building them together. New Fiesta/Ecosport on small C and Focus/Escape on large C. They could still keep the B class Ecosport and Fiesta for MOW if that makes sense.

That makes more sense to me than having 3 B/C utilities (new B Ecosport, small C, large C Escape). This would also allow plant capacity to shift more easily and I presume would allow Louisville to build both utilities if necessary.

Still just speculation though.

So I guess a bigger "B+" Fiesta for North America is not just my figment of imagination... C-platform Fiesta will presumably means a larger car that is more aligned in size with Hyundai Accent or Nissan Versa rather than Hyundai i20 or Nissan March which are closer in size with the current Fiesta.

A second assembly location for Escape in NAFTA zone has long been discussed and Cuautitlan does have the most room left to take on something like that.

Edited by bzcat