Next Focus, Longer/Wider

Great point. I would have been looking at getting one when the next one comes out had they not announced its being made elsewhere and directly cost me my job.

So will you buy a Ranger?

Seriously though, folks that won't buy cars not made in America are going to be out of choices in the small car market soon. It's just not profitable to build them here.

So will you buy a Ranger?

Seriously though, folks that won't buy cars not made in America are going to be out of choices in the small car market soon. It's just not profitable to build them here.

I would as long as I can show my wife we have a legit need for it. That's the deal we made with each other. Otherwise I'll probably get an Escape.
  • Like 1

I would as long as I can show my wife we have a legit need for it. That's the deal we made with each other. Otherwise I'll probably get an Escape.

If you need help convincing your wife, just start a thread here and we can fill it full of ideas! :)

Hopefully you can transfer back to MAP and work on the Ranger when the time comes (if that is what you want to do :)).

• Like 1

If you need help convincing your wife, just start a thread here and we can fill it full of ideas! :)

Hopefully you can transfer back to MAP and work on the Ranger when the time comes (if that is what you want to do :)).

It sounds as if I'm not going to get a choice in the matter, but that's my gut feeling since I haven't been told anything since I got here to FRAP.

I would rather stay here if given a choice. It's close to home and I would have waaaaay more in plant seniority.

• Like 1

It sounds as if I'm not going to get a choice in the matter, but that's my gut feeling since I haven't been told anything since I got here to FRAP.

I would rather stay here if given a choice. It's close to home and I would have waaaaay more in plant seniority.

Well, then I hope you get to stay.

longer wheelbase by 1-2 inches

move of fuel filler to left side

all new IRS module made of steel not aluminum

exhaust pipe routed beneath the suspension.

1-2 inches wider

Must mean its going to be a Lincoln too! :)

Anyways,,,the extra wheelbase and width should go a long way to helping the cramped feel that some people have complained about with the Focus in North America.

The Honda Civic is still built in this country, as is the Chevrolet Cruze. I haven't heard of any plans to shift Civic production out of the U.S. or Canada.

It is well known that Asian Corporations get sizable incentives from their homelands to offset higher production costs overseas. This can come in several forms, subsidized R&D as we learned with the Prius, or in the form of tax breaks back home etc.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/jim-press-prius-was-100-subsidized-japan-toyota-denies-remarks-made-its-former-us

Typical u-turn of the truth after being reminded by Toyota of his contractual obligations and the legal consequences of exposing corporate secrets etc.

Edited by Kev-Mo

The Honda Civic is still built in this country, as is the Chevrolet Cruze. I haven't heard of any plans to shift Civic production out of the U.S. or Canada.

Honda makes the CR-V in the Ontario Civic plant so if Civic demand is low they can replace volume with CR-V and send Civic volume to Indiana making sure that plant is near the 250K capacity it has, Ford didn't have that option with MAP, as they haven't had huge small car volume in 25 years.

That also goes back to the debate as to what is an American car, the definition of that is really different for people. It is formed to assure them self in a semi-factual content of a personal believe, without committing to anything specific in order not to be called out as a hypocrite. Most people couldn't tell you where their car was made, and really don't care, just like they don't care what wheels are driving the the car.

• Like 1

Kev-Mo, do you think that the Americans and Canadians working in Honda plants, and earning good money, really care?

Also, if the Japanese government is providing this benefit to companies, doesn't this undercut the narrative that Japanese companies only care about the Japanese? This benefits AMERICAN and CANADIAN workers.

Edited by grbeck

Kev-Mo, do you think that the Americans and Canadians working in Honda plants, and earning good money, really care?

Also, if the Japanese government is providing this benefit to companies, doesn't this undercut the narrative that Japanese companies only care about the Japanese? This benefits AMERICAN and CANADIAN workers.

Good luck with that argument......

Any new NA factories will be built in Mexico now that the business environment created by NAFTA is in full effect. Those you refer to set up shop decades ago with huge tax breaks, and before the full effect of NAFTA. There is also the recent notion of Mexico selling itself as a proven auto industry power. New smaller car production for most all will go south of the border - like the Focus.

Dec 2014: "The past year has seen new automotive assembly plants begin production — Nissan, Mazda and Honda, plus the announcements of three new ones — Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz"

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2014/12/the-worlds-auto-parts-industry-is-on-the-move-to-mexico/

Toyota has long been there- building the Tacoma and components for the Tundra.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

Good luck with that argument......

They are all in Mexico - I don't even see an argument here.

Remember - I did not not throw down the debate. grbeck implied that Honda is not moving production to Mexico because they care about American workers.

This article says they are moving new production to Mexico.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2014/12/the-worlds-auto-parts-industry-is-on-the-move-to-mexico/

post-13728-0-17233200-1456267133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kev-Mo