Please help! ticketed for no tag light but cannot get replaced!

Jon Taktək Mills

I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan that I bought new about a year and a half ago and was stopped last week by Wichita PD for no license plate illumination. Being this is a brand new vehicle with LED "last forever' bulbs I asked to take a look but sure enough it was out. So I took my 'fix it' ticket to Ford thinking this would be part of my bumper to bumper warranty but was told it was not included. The parts tech said the only way to replace it was to order the entire latch assembly piece for $188 and it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive!?! I only have 10 days to correct the fix it ticket or appear in court (that's all the time WPD gives for these tickets or I have to pay an extension fee), so this was not an option, let alone the price for what used to be a $3 bulb and easy 5 minute fix! I have searched everywhere on the internet with no luck. There are no videos up showing how to replace the tag light on my vehicle, only 2010 and below Focus'. Not only that, but I cannot even find a part for sale. Does anyone have experience with this? Surely the only way for me to get my tag lit again is not to pay $188 and wait 3 weeks is it? This is obviously absurd and outrageous if this is the case. Please, some help. I have searched and searched, and cannot locate a part, replacement bulb or instructions how to replace the bulb. Thank you for any help.

Do a Google search for

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan license plate light

and it will show pictures of how to remove the light assembly.

See if you can find one at a junk yard.

If you are good with a soldering iron you could put almost any 12 volt bulb behind the plastic lens to get your ticket cleared and then find the proper part at your leisure.

Thanks for the tips murphy. I just find it's pretty ridiculous that something as simple as replacing a tag light has to be so expensive and complicated. They chose to make it that way. Tag lights have always been very simple issues to deal with until now. That's the whole reason I bought a new car, so I wouldn't have to put up with rigging a bunch of crazy fixes on junk vehicles. If this is the direction Ford is moving in then this will be my last Ford.

I would most definitely try another dealer. I see no reason it should not be covered. Hell, worst case I would make my complaint about the trunk latch not working correctly. A little tinkering could make the latch not work and there's your new latch. They can code the repair to the latch. If another dealer isn't a viable option, talk to the service manager. They can get that covered no problem.

Edited by fordtech1