Airbag Recall-Bad PR

elijahbird7

I received a letter from Ford that the Driver Airbag in my 2012 Mustang GT convertible was on the list of those that will be recalled. This letter was dated July 2015. I had forgotten about it until the other day, so pulled the folder. The letter stated I didn't need to do anything until I receive a 2nd letter from Ford, and parts were available. I took the letter to my dealer yesterday, and asked what was happening with this recall. I have known the Service Manager for about 20 years, and he had no answer. So I said, "So Ford tells me that I have an airbag that could explode and possibly kill me, but almost 8 month later, nothing has been done.." Horrible PR from Ford in my opinion. Luckily I have many other cars to drive, and it only has 5,500 miles on it.

It's not a Ford issue, it's Takata, the company who supplied the part. The whole thing effects millions of cars from nearly every company. It's a debacle on every level.

And I assume that Ford is waiting on replacements from Takata thus the delay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was told by my sales rep that there is a warehouse near by the dealership holding 100+ Mustangs that can not be sold due to the airbag issue.

I wonder what will become of these cars if it is true.

I highly doubt that. If such a thing exists, it's definitely used cars. The models with the recalls are all older. The would most likely be fixed and eventually be able to be resold.

• 5 months later...