MidSize SUV with it all

meyeste

I am a Ford Fan, my first ford was a '68 Mustang that had a 351 windsor shoe horned into it. There have been a few along the way, I now have an F150 and am looking to replace it. I'd like to get an Explorer however in the test drive I have the following issues - first and foremost - as wide as the exterior is - it really doesn't have much room inside, when the sales guy popped the rear hatch I was shocked at how little room there is back there. At some point a former key design criteria that all vehicles used to abide by got nixed - that is make a 4x8 piece of plywood / drywall fit between the well wells. Now true probably the majority of owners will never put a 4x8 piece of plywood in an Explorer, however the room it affords is so nice - so whomever nixed that constraint you screwed up - put it back if not I'll have to get the only mid-size SUV that still abides that that rule - the award winning Pilot - seriously.

Second I get the gas mileage issue however let's give the Explorer an option that allows for more ground clearance if needed - bench mark the Jeep GC if you have to - just add it, the Explorer has too many low hanging parts for my comfort, yes I own land, it has dirt roads that wash out now and then I'd like to be able to traverse them - with an SUV that can carry the family and their stuff. IMO "Utility" is the single most important letter in the SUV acro nym

Third and not as big a deal however - while I know the new 3.5L has more power than the old 4.0 in the 2010, yet somehow it doesn't feel like it, it test drove and AWD Explorer with the NA 3.5L V6, floored it at about 30 and I really couldn't tell, sure the sales guy that went 180 and his "trainee" that when 220 were in the vehicle, but I now drive a Honda Odyssey and while it's no screamer, by comparison it's much better. Perhaps Ford should experiment with lower displacement V8's?? Sure there is the 3.5L EB, which I am sure is awesome, however I think Ford has neglected the NA V6 - when compared to a Honda or the new GM 3.6 for example.

In any case for Fords' next remake of the Explorer I'd recommend bench marking the Pilot and the Grand Cherokee as far as similar cost competitors that are stand out sellers. The Explorer looks the part, IMO it doesn't walk the part.

I am sure the new next Explorer is too far along to change it's design constraints, I have to say if just one of my wish list above were accommodated, it'd be the space request - handling a 4x8 piece of plywood between the wheel wells - actually that'd make a great commercial - probably the most successful one at that.

Edited by meyeste

If you want to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a SUV then you need an Expedition or Suburban, not an Explorer.

Ford's 3.5L V6 is competitive with other mfrs, but Explorer is a heavy vehicle. That's why you can get the 3.5L EB.

There are rumors of the new Explorer going back to RWD on a new platform - maybe you should wait for that.

When has the Explorer or any of its competition ever been able to take 4x8 plywood?

I know for a fact the pilot can accommodate a 4x8 piece of ply wood the seats down, not sure of any others. I am not the only one that makes the observation - as wide as the Explorer is, it just doesn't translate to sufficient room in that back. Go and check out a Pilot and then look at the Explorer, plus the NA 3.5 in the Pilot is much livelier.

As far as getting an Expedition or Suburban both of which are just so big, parking spots just seem to be getting smaller and smaller, check out the numbers the Pilot is very, very close to the shorter versions Expedition and Suburban.

Edited by meyeste

If you want to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a SUV then you need an Expedition or Suburban, not an Explorer.

Ford's 3.5L V6 is competitive with other mfrs, but Explorer is a heavy vehicle. That's why you can get the 3.5L EB.

There are rumors of the new Explorer going back to RWD on a new platform - maybe you should wait for that.

I may, or I may not, if they are moving back to a RWD platform excellent. My favorite in the mid size SUV slot is the Mercedes GLE diesel, it really covers all my complaints with the current Explorer.

I know for a fact the pilot can accommodate a 4x8 piece of ply wood the seats down, not sure of any others. I am not the only one that makes the observation - as wide as the Explorer is, it just doesn't translate to sufficient room in that back. Go and check out a Pilot and then look at the Explorer, plus the NA 3.5 in the Pilot is much livelier.

As far as getting an Expedition or Suburban both of which are just so big, parking spots just seem to be getting smaller and smaller, check out the numbers the Pilot is very, very close to the shorter versions Expedition and Suburban.

Then go buy a Pilot

Then go buy a Pilot

I'm sorry am I not in a wish list category? Am I in a " let's lie to ourselves and pretend everyone Ford does is awesome and buy them blindly list" - no, I'm not sure why you are responding I am not asking you to - in no way to I believe J-150 is capable of effecting any type of change.

It's a wish list and on my list is the Ford Explorer to have more room, more ground clearance and a better NA engine choice? If you wish that Ford would never improve it's products and sell sub-par vehicles then start your own wish list and say so.

Edited by meyeste

But wishing for the Explorer to have enough room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood is like wishing that the Focus had comfortable room for 5 adults. If you want either one of those then buy an Expedition or a Fusion.

BTW the 2016 Pilot won't fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood either so you'll need a different benchmark. And don't forget the reason Honda made the Pilot larger is that they don't have a full sized SUV.

Re: engines......

The Pilot has one - DI 3.5L 280 hp 262 lb/ft.

Explorer's 3.5L NA has 290 hp 255 lb/ft - virtually the same.

But Explorer also has a 2.3L EB rated at 280 hp/310 lb/ft and the 3.5L EB with 365/350.

So it's a bit disingenuous to criticize Explorer and applaud Pilot based on engine choices and plywood hauling (which neither can do but Ford gives you a larger SUV option that will do it).

The Honda Odyssey can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, the Honda Pilot cannot. In fact, there is no SUV smaller than an Expedition or Tahoe that can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. While the Explorer is no Jeep Wrangler, for what it is, it seems capable enough off road.

The current Explorer is based on a platform that underpinned a Volvo that debuted almost 14 plus years ago. The next Explorer will be all new and I bet it will address most of your concerns, except for the plywood issue, which is probably not much of a concern for 99% of mid size SUV buyers.

Edited by NLPRacing

• 1 month later...

Thank you for response, as as what I am planning to get, I recently had an Expedition rental and I just absolutely loved it, just as I loved the previous gen Explorer. It's funny the Expedition's suspension is now what 10 years old and still out performs the Tahoe/Suburban. It really is just confidence inspiring to drive. And the 3.5L EB just does exactly what is is supposed to - turns out 20+ mpg when cruising the highway (70-80 mph) and yet has plenty of low-end torque for confident dirt/mud road crawling. I also like the ground clearance it has, I am thinking I'll head into the dealer and see what I can haggle. About all I don't like about the Expedition is getting into parking spots, though I could learn to live with it, I have a full size F150 now and though occasionally I am making 5 point turns to get into or out of a spot at the local Harris Teeter, most of them time I just choose to walk a little further.

A Honda pilot is 4' wide between the rear wheel wells, a 2015 Explorer is significantly narrower in the same dimension. With the rear hatch open a Pilot can handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying flat on the floor, about 2' would be extending out of the interior. The Odyssey could carry the 4x8 piece of plywood with the rear hatch closed. And no I won't be hauling plywood home however as I say when the sales guy opens the rear hatch of an Explorer I feel like I've seen a disappearing act, as wide as the explorer is I expect the interior open up instead the

NLPRacing, on 18 Jan 2016 - 4:10 PM, said:

The Honda Odyssey can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, the Honda Pilot cannot. In fact, there is no SUV smaller than an Expedition or Tahoe that can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. While the Explorer is no Jeep Wrangler, for what it is, it seems capable enough off road.

The current Explorer is based on a platform that underpinned a Volvo that debuted almost 14 plus years ago. The next Explorer will be all new and I bet it will address most of your concerns, except for the plywood issue, which is probably not much of a concern for 99% of mid size SUV buyers.

Edited by meyeste