Lincoln is making design changes to speed up its comeback

Lincoln is making design changes to speed up its comeback

Lincoln-Continental-at-NAIAS.jpg

Lincoln Continental.org - One of the big stories in the surging US auto market is the comeback of Lincoln.

Ford's top brand was headed for the dustbin of automotive history after the financial crisis, but then CEO Alan Mulally was convinced to keep the marque, which had largely gotten lost in the luxury shuffle.

At this week's LA Auto Show, Lincoln pulled the cover off a significant refresh to its MKZ midsize sedan.

The big story is the front end. The Lincoln revival won't be led by the swoopy, beak-like front design that has probably both helped the brand's cars stand out — but also held it back with potential buyers who simply couldn't warm to the Gallic flair of the look.

The new grille is drawn from the design of the all-new Continental, a large-and-in-charge sedan that Lincoln revealed at the New York Auto Show early this year.

Lincoln has also dropped a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 under the hood, good for 400 horsepower.

A new look, more power, and even a ditching of the "EcoBoost" name to describe the turbo. The new MKZ gets just a simple "3.0T," which executives told Business Insider resonates better with the luxury customers the brand is aiming to woo.

READ MORE HERE

"New" Lincoln Continental

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/detroit/2017-lincoln-continentals-detroit-debut-marks-new-chapter-for-the-brand/ar-CCrjyh?li=BBnb4R5

Fail. Looks too much like the Lincolnized Ford Fusion.

This has been Ford's proble with Lincoln for a long time ! Personally I think the Continental is a lot more unique looking than the current MKZ. Nice to see that the COntinental bets the new 3.0L EcoBoost while the Fusion only get the 2.7L EcoBoost.

I want to see the wheelbase, track, and front and rear interior specs compared to the MKZ.

• Like 1

This has been Ford's proble with Lincoln for a long time ! Personally I think the Continental is a lot more unique looking than the current MKZ. Nice to see that the COntinental bets the new 3.0L EcoBoost while the Fusion only get the 2.7L EcoBoost.

I want to see the wheelbase, track, and front and rear interior specs compared to the MKZ.

I don't have specific numbers, but I can tell you in knowing that MKZ and Fusion are close to the same size, Continental is definitely bigger than those 2. Not only are the doors a few inches longer than the Fusion, there is a TON of rear leg room. Oh yeah, and there's a lot of trunk space too.

I'm liking this front end treatment, sure the cars are not perfect but you know, actual buyers will see huge change.

Maybe that perception is enough to get a lot more buyers into Lincoln's showroom. How fast can lincoln roll that

front end onto the rest of the vehicles - that should be priority one.

• Like 2

I agree with Sonny Van Sickle Jr that Lincoln's new design direction is insipid. Among the large sedans introduced at NAIAS 2016, Volvo S90 really stands out for elegant and distinctive design. Lincoln Continental doesn't seem very compelling by comparison.

Ford version is Fusion, Fusion gets a different grille and it is called Lincoln MKZ. New Continental looks like a slightly enlarged MKZ. Nothing exciting to me about it.

That's a load of garbage. Looking at the new Continental from all angles, it looks nothing like a slightly enlarged MKZ. It looks like what it is - far larger in size, far more elegant in it's styling.

I agree with Sonny Van Sickle Jr that Lincoln's new design direction is insipid. Among the large sedans introduced at NAIAS 2016, Volvo S90 really stands out for elegant and distinctive design. Lincoln Continental doesn't seem very compelling by comparison.

Disagree with both of you completely.

Disagree with both of you completely.

That's fine, though I suspect you're in the minority. Here are some more opinions from editors at cars.com:

Aaron Bragman:
I just can't get excited about this thing. Its looks are derivative; there's nothing distinctively "Lincoln" about any of it. Although it has decades of heritage to draw on, Lincoln decided instead to start fresh with a front-drive platform with some gimmicky door handles. At least the audio system is likely to be phenomenal; the Revel system in the MKZ is extraordinary. But when Hyundai, Lexus and even Buick are talking about expanded rear-wheel-drive platforms, I just don't see how the Continental is going to move the needle at all.
Mike Hanley:
Compared with the Volvo S90, another all-new large luxury sedan that made its debut in Detroit and will compete with the Continental, the Lincoln is lacking. It doesn't have the distinctiveness, inside or out, of the Volvo. After looking at the Continental with the blue interior that was on the show floor, all I could see was 1980s-era American luxury — not a great place to be.
Joe Bruzek:
Comparisons to the Volvo S90 are spot-on. There isn't once square inch of surface in the Volvo that looks cheap or fake, which cannot be said for the Continental with its center console and door trim that looks crudely printed and textured. And then there's the backseat I can't sit in without my head touching the roof; this is supposed to be a large sedan, right?
Brian Wong:
This feels a bit like piling on, but of the three large luxury sedans that debuted at the show, the Continental was the least refined. I echo Bruzek's statement: The materials felt a segment below luxury and as cool as those door handles were (they were not gimmicky to me), they're not enough to elevate the Continental anywhere near the winner's circle.

Now that I know it is not just me, I have to say I was expecting Continental styling to be much nicer.

Continental is a huge step forward from MKS but I don't think it will be a car that ignites Lincoln sales. I believe it will do better in China, however.

If I had been in charge of the styling direction I would have done a modern interpretation of late 60s Lincolns or maybe Mark V.

I wish MKZ was not getting the Continenal front-end treatment as I think it takes away some of the thunder from Continental. Connie should be separate and unique.

I look forward to seeing one in person rather than just pictures. Styling is way down the list for me in terms of a vehicle's desirability but since that is about all we can discuss at this point, I have a few opinions:

To say it or the MKZ looks like a Fusion would be a good indication that an appointment with an Ophthalmologist is needed. :) Having said that, I think the styling might appeal more to the traditional (dare I say Town Car?) clientele. It is certainly much more elegant than the MKS but I do not find it quite as interesting or expressive. I have always liked the original MKS grille as well as the roof line. It was the long front overhang of the MKS that hurt it as well as the fact that it is so tall in relation to the wheelbase. The 2013 facelift ruined the front and rear ends as well as the interior, in my opinion. The Continental strikes me as much more conservative....but again, much more elegant and better proportioned. The interior appears to be a home run, too.

When I showed the pictures to my wife and several of my younger friends and told them it would be my next car, their response was "That looks like an old man's car." Hopefully a lot of younger buyers will disagree.

• Like 1

MKZ is far more than just a different grille, but I suspect you won't agree with that no matter what.

It is all in the perception. Is widely known that Lincolns are just rebadged Fords. That is the reason Mercury was discontinued, same as a Ford, just more money resulted in a slow seller. Sure the Lincoln version of a Ford may have a lot more bells and whistles, more doo-dads and gee-gaws, but it is still a Ford. You pay more for the Lincoln, but 5 years down the road you get a very small fraction of that extra money back in vehicle value. An example of value retention is the Eddie Baur package- Cost $5000 to get it on a Ford Expedition, yet when 5 years old it only added $500 to the value.

There may or may not be more of something in a Lincoln over a Ford, but when the products look so much alike with a huge price disparity not many people go any further for the Lincoln.

And why give the Continental the same / similar taillights as the MKZ? Someone comes up behind it and it does not stand out as being a "different" Lincoln.

• Like 1

That's fine, though I suspect you're in the minority. Here are some more opinions from editors at cars.com:

Aaron Bragman:
I just can't get excited about this thing. Its looks are derivative; there's nothing distinctively "Lincoln" about any of it. Although it has decades of heritage to draw on, Lincoln decided instead to start fresh with a front-drive platform with some gimmicky door handles. At least the audio system is likely to be phenomenal; the Revel system in the MKZ is extraordinary. But when Hyundai, Lexus and even Buick are talking about expanded rear-wheel-drive platforms, I just don't see how the Continental is going to move the needle at all.
Mike Hanley:
Compared with the Volvo S90, another all-new large luxury sedan that made its debut in Detroit and will compete with the Continental, the Lincoln is lacking. It doesn't have the distinctiveness, inside or out, of the Volvo. After looking at the Continental with the blue interior that was on the show floor, all I could see was 1980s-era American luxury — not a great place to be.
Joe Bruzek:
Comparisons to the Volvo S90 are spot-on. There isn't once square inch of surface in the Volvo that looks cheap or fake, which cannot be said for the Continental with its center console and door trim that looks crudely printed and textured. And then there's the backseat I can't sit in without my head touching the roof; this is supposed to be a large sedan, right?
Brian Wong:
This feels a bit like piling on, but of the three large luxury sedans that debuted at the show, the Continental was the least refined. I echo Bruzek's statement: The materials felt a segment below luxury and as cool as those door handles were (they were not gimmicky to me), they're not enough to elevate the Continental anywhere near the winner's circle.

I like how of all the reviews out there, you cherry-pick a few negative ones to prove your point.

I will be a dissenting opinion.

The new Continental side profile and greenhouse look like a stretched Five Hundred. Which is a backwards move from the MKS.

Um?

ph_zpsgcvqngxt.jpg

05-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jp

Yeah, you're right - I can't tell the difference iWKad22.jpg?fb

When I showed the pictures to my wife and several of my younger friends and told them it would be my next car, their response was "That looks like an old man's car." Hopefully a lot of younger buyers will disagree.

I don't know, I'm younger and I love it......but I have an old soul, so I also realize my tastes don't always align with my peers.

And why give the Continental the same / similar taillights as the MKZ? Someone comes up behind it and it does not stand out as being a "different" Lincoln.

Uhh, if you say so:

2017-lincoln-continental-rear-end.jpg

Lincoln-MKZ-2017-Rear-View.jpg

It is all in the perception. Is widely known that Lincolns are just rebadged Fords. That is the reason Mercury was discontinued, same as a Ford, just more money resulted in a slow seller. Sure the Lincoln version of a Ford may have a lot more bells and whistles, more doo-dads and gee-gaws, but it is still a Ford. You pay more for the Lincoln, but 5 years down the road you get a very small fraction of that extra money back in vehicle value. An example of value retention is the Eddie Baur package- Cost $5000 to get it on a Ford Expedition, yet when 5 years old it only added $500 to the value.

There may or may not be more of something in a Lincoln over a Ford, but when the products look so much alike with a huge price disparity not many people go any further for the Lincoln.

I suspect you're confused about the difference between rebadging and platform sharing. Zephyr and Milan were Fusion rebadges sharing almost everything with a few cosmetic differences (badges).

Current Fusion and MKZ share a platform but 90% of the interior and exterior is different as well as the suspension and drivetrains.

Or are you in the "all FWD/transverse platforms are junk" and Lincoln must have RWD/longitudinal drivetrains camp?

Edited by akirby

I suspect you're confused about the difference between rebadging and platform sharing. Zephyr and Milan were Fusion rebadges sharing almost everything with a few cosmetic differences (badges).

Current Focus and MKZ share a platform but 90% of the interior and exterior is different as well as the suspension and drivetrains.

Or are you in the "all FWD/transverse platforms are junk" and Lincoln must have RWD/longitudinal drivetrains camp?

Current Fusion * and MKZ