Ford Motor Company December 2015 Sales, Year End Totals

ANTAUS

A lot of that could be outright availability. I don't think any Lincoln dealer is awash in MKCs.

True, but Lexus has a lot earlier RX owners looking tor replace their CUV with something similar in size, so they come back for NX.

Lincoln is doing new business and conquest sales only with MKC.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if we compare NX's conquest rate (i.e. non previous Lexus owner) with MKC, I'll bet they are very similar with Lincoln perhaps doing better.

Edited by bzcat

I wish Ford just kept the 2008 era Taurus going, but they just had to make it 'prettier', [and bulkier] even though imports look anonymous.

It was fine, but comments from mouthy critics about it being 'too plain' made them spend money to please critics, but not loyal large car buyers, and fleets.

Ford did a lot of things that looked silly but actually saved a lot of money by allowing it to

close down plants and eliminate excess production capacity and reduce platform count.

Which combined with D3 Explorer ended up replacing the Panthers and the BOF Explorer.

Ok, that's true, but I'm not sure what that has to do with his point.

The part where he's talking about spending money to please critics was in reference to the 2010 Taurus redesign that made the car look a million times better, but lost a lot of the "functionality"/space the '05-'07 Five Hundred/'08-'09 Taurus had, not Panthers or BOF Explorer. He was saying he wish they kept the "bubble"-roofed '08 model rather than going to the current look.

• Like 1

I agree that there were probably ways to make the 500 era Taurus look better without the 2010 redesign. They did after all chance the Freestyle into the Explorer with a lot less effort than changing the Taurus with much better results! With the Explorer, It just look like they put new body panels over the Freestyle (style free) to achieve the knock out looks it has.

• Like 1

"2010 Taurus redesign that made the car look a million times better, but lost a lot of the "functionality"/space

That was the point, though I don't agree with "million times". Maybe would be selling better? Seems like buyers are shunning it saying "Why pay full size price for mid size rooom?" And, more police agencies would benefit with better interior room, instead of paying more for SUV's. [Oh wait that was the plan!]

IL State police though, do now have a fleet of Taurus PI's, being that the plant is here.

Edited by 630land

"2010 Taurus redesign that made the car look a million times better, but lost a lot of the "functionality"/space

That was the point, though I don't agree with "million times". Maybe would be selling better? Seems like buyers are shunning it saying "Why pay full size price for mid size rooom?" And, more police agencies would benefit with better interior room, instead of paying more for SUV's. [Oh wait that was the plan!]

IL State police though, do now have a fleet of Taurus PI's, being that the plant is here.

It certainly looks better, but the better look meant compromises in other areas (interior roominess the biggest, obviously).

And let's not pretend the Five Hundred/'08-9 Taurus was lighting up the sales charts either (I'm curious what its numbers look like vs Taurus when it debuted, and now, but I can't look up numbers right now).

hmmm, well THAT doesn't explain why we cant get any damn Explorers...........

But is that more to do with transport logistics to the West than inventory supply?

Or are you saying that you can't get on the order list?

Edited by jpd80

Full year Five Hundred sales:

2005 107,932 2006[29] 84,218

New Taurus sales:

2008 52,667 2009[60] 45,617 2010[61] 68,859 2011[62] 63,526

I didn't realize they sold so many Five Hundreds. Though now that I think about it, in '05, it was either Focus, rental Taurus, or the Five Hundred. 2006 was the first year of Fusion. Edited by rmc523

Does anyone know how close to capacity CAP is running? Dean, what do you have in inventory? Seems like very little?

Chicago numbers to end of September. 2015 2014

Explorer 213501 214851

Taurus 57515 59285

MKS 5880 5835

I would say they are close to capacity at 360000 to 370000 per year . Ford makes some Explorers in Venezuela and Russia, but not a very large number.

Chicago numbers to end of September. 2015 2014

Explorer 213501 214851

Taurus 57515 59285

MKS 5880 5835

I would say they are close to capacity at 360000 to 370000 per year . Ford makes some Explorers in Venezuela and Russia, but not a very large number.

December totals are not available to me yet but, you're right on the mark. :)

At the end of November, Chicago's total YTD production was at 343,535 and November production was 31,436.

Ford Taurus ........................5,814 & 70,158
Lincoln MKS..........................611 & 7,103
Chicago ( C ) .................... 6,425 & 77,261
Ford Explorer......................25,011 & 266,274
Chicago ( T ) .................... 25,011 & 266,274

Total Chicago ................... 31,436 & 343,535

CAP is running 3 shifts with tag relief and has increased line speed in the past year. I do not know the shift configuration.

Thanks for that, I thought for sure CAP would be running three shifts with the amount of product coming out.

Probably easier to count the plants that don't run three shifts, MAP, FRAP and Cuautitlan come to mind...

Although, Flat Rock is probably going three shifts this year with added Continental production and once

Focus moves to Mexico in 2018, that plant will be running three shifts just to keep up.

I Think Ford's goal looks to be 750K-800K cars built in three or four plants, HAP, CUAP, FRAP and CAP (Taurus & PI)...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I didn't realize they sold so many Five Hundreds. Though now that I think about it, in '05, it was either Focus, rental Taurus, or the Five Hundred. 2006 was the first year of Fusion.

Yep - Fusion had a LOT to do with the drop in Taurus sales.

Also keep in mind the market changed a lot after 2007...gas prices and the start of the economic downturn.