2016 Fit and Finish Inspection

IggyAZ

I was hoping that the folks that are here with more car knowledge than I have could help.

I have read here "Fit and Finish" used after they purchased a new car.

I do understand that the hood and door seams need to be closely the same distance and level but wonder what else should I look for in a 2016 MKX.

But what else should I look closely at and what should I look for?

Thanks Iggy

I was hoping that the folks that are here with more car knowledge than I have could help.

I have read here "Fit and Finish" used after they purchased a new car.

I do understand that the hood and door seams need to be closely the same distance and level but wonder what else should I look for in a 2016 MKX.

But what else should I look closely at and what should I look for?

Thanks Iggy

Iggy-Unfortunately, I don't know much about some of these things either but I Google everything. I found these:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/auto-manufacturing/fit-and-finish1.htm

http://www.realcartips.com/newcars/333-inspect-new-car-before-buying.shtml

Edited by Dedonut

I have a loaded 2016 MKX and the only fit & finish issues I have are with the passenger headlight not fitting flush with the fender, it's a fairly substantial gap but it's not enough for me to bother with it since it's a lease. I also notice that the passenger side front window 'corner' sticks out quite a bit relative to the rest of the trim, but I only notice this when I walk down the stairs in my garage so it's possibly an intentional design. The interior looks great to me, haven't found any problems although I noticed quite a few interior fit issues in the early builds of the MKX. I have noticed some rattling/creaking around the front cowl which looks like it should creak (cheap piece of coarse hard plastic), one is by the driver side which is particularly annoying since it's more of a persistent buzzing rattle (like a loose speaker) but it's not consistently there.

I love my MKX, tremendous fun to drive and very smooth and quiet, nice improvement over my last MKX in some areas but in many ways I miss my previous MKX for it's spaciousness, ride height, and better connected steering feel. The 2.7L EB is a little buzzy at low speeds compared to the 3.7 I'm use to but it's quieter and more powerful at speed, it seems to smooth out after running about 10 minutes. I'm not sure I'll buy another one yet mostly because I feel more cramped in this car than my last MKX because it sits so much lower with a lower roofline, It's just impossible for me to get enough leg room to find an ideal seating position. I'll probably get use to it but I want to move up to a larger and taller Crossover, possibly the XC90 which also has a very compelling design and tech story for an equivalent cost.

Edited by BORG

I have a loaded 2016 MKX and the only fit & finish issues I have are with the passenger headlight not fitting flush with the fender, it's a fairly substantial gap but it's not enough for me to bother with it since it's a lease. I also notice that the passenger side front window 'corner' sticks out quite a bit relative to the rest of the trim, but I only notice this when I walk down the stairs in my garage so it's possibly an intentional design. The interior looks great to me, haven't found any problems although I noticed quite a few interior fit issues in the early builds of the MKX. I have noticed some rattling/creaking around the front cowl which looks like it should creak (cheap piece of coarse hard plastic), one is by the driver side which is particularly annoying since it's more of a persistent buzzing rattle (like a loose speaker) but it's not consistently there.

I love my MKX, tremendous fun to drive and very smooth and quiet, nice improvement over my last MKX. The 2.7L EB is a little buzzy at low speeds compared to the 3.7 I'm use to but it's quieter and more powerful at speed, it seems to smooth out after running about 10 minutes. I'm not sure I'll buy another one yet mostly because I feel more cramped in this car than my last MKX because it sits so much lower with a lower roofline and I'm kinda tall. I'll probably get use to it but I want to move up to a larger and taller Crossover, possibly the XC90 which is priced the same.

Thanks, Borg. Your info is really helpful because it's specific to the year and model, and adds to the generic list of things we should look for.