2016 Mustang GT vs. 2016 Camaro SS mag comparos

Car and Driver (winner: Camaro SS) (can't find a link to the comparo, but it's in print)

Motor Trend (winner: Camaro SS)

What is interesting is that both publications state that the Camaro is a better performer (reflected in their verdicts, given the nature of each magazine), while the Mustang is more agreeable day-to-day. I'd say that's fair.

Amazing what 24% more engine displacement and less ride friendly suspension buys you on the track.

The only strange part for me is how they described the mustang handling on bumpy backroads - that pretty much goes against everything that's been published about the mustang handling including other C&D articles.

Amazing what 24% more engine displacement and less ride friendly suspension buys you on the track.

The only strange part for me is how they described the mustang handling on bumpy backroads - that pretty much goes against everything that's been published about the mustang handling including other C&D articles.

That's because it doesn't fit their current narrative

• Like 1

The results shouldn't be a surprise. I figured the Mustang would loose the performance advantage once the weight gain happened because the Camero was bound to loose pounds going to Alpha (though not as much as some Camero fans dreamed of). I think the S550 program just ran out of money for weight reduction. Too bad there isn't a Lincoln S550 variant to help with the program costs, like the Alpha platform benefits from over at GM.

• Like 1

The results shouldn't be a surprise. I figured the Mustang would loose the performance advantage once the weight gain happened because the Camero was bound to loose pounds going to Alpha (though not as much as some Camero fans dreamed of). I think the S550 program just ran out of money for weight reduction. Too bad there isn't a Lincoln S550 variant to help with the program costs, like the Alpha platform benefits from over at GM.

Another possible (and maybe more accurate, but I don't have numbers to make my case) way to look at it is that the Camaro will be the model supporting the development costs of the platform, not the Cadillac sedans/coupe.

• Like 1

From everything I've read-and I've read too many articles on both cars, now-the Mustang could make up a lot of the "difference" with a tweak to the steering rack and a bit more character allowed from the Coyote V8. The complaints about steering feel not quite as good as the chassis are consistent, and the overly-muffled tones of the motor are similarly commonplace. I don't know how much more power is available from the Coyote, but I think the gap would be attainable with some overall tweaks rather than major undertakings.

In any case, this reminds me of the 90's Mustang/Camaro comparos: the Camaro would win by bringing an extra liter of displacement, but would be a worse car overall. GM doesn't seem to learn these lessons.

I'd say it's a fair comparison. I think Ford went less aggressive on the track set up and tried to stay more neutral on both set ups. I gotta be honest here though, I don't want my car to handle like a race car. Personally I like many others want a nice ride that I can step into it some when driving if I please. I want that exhaust growl and amenities in my interior. My mustang would never see the track, and if I was going to be at the track REGULARLY then I would not be buying a daily driver but a 350 or 350R. Those cars are race cars. I was just chatting with an older gentleman yesterday as I parked next to his 2015 GT at the store. He said he drove both the Chevy and Ford and as a high paying customer, he said point blank that the mustang had better fit and finish, style, and he couldn't even drive it hard enough to tell the difference in performance between the two. I'd say that's probably a majority of the customer base. And for the other guys, again Gt500, 350, 350R are available to blow the doors off the Chevy line up.

Or, you know, spend the $5k difference between the GT & SS on stuff that'll make the GT much faster than the SS

I thought the same thing except that the base price difference is only $1500.

It's really a moot point since Ford and GM have different goals and different vehicles at different price and performance points.

Mustang also has GT350 and most likely a new GT500 above the GT.

I thought the same thing except that the base price difference is only $1500.

$1,500's nothing to sneeze at. All by itself, that goes a long way toward retail quality (not OEM spec) performance tires. Or a tune and a couple DIY engine mods.

And I think by the time you're comparing the 1LE performance package + 1SS w/the GT + GT Perf. Pack, the difference is greater still (you can't find prices for the 1LE performance pack anywhere on GM's site right now).

The fact that you can actually SEE the chicks staring at you in the Mustang: Priceless!

OK, OK, they aren't starting at the driver, they are staring at the car. But still, the point remains that you can't see out of the Camaro.

Side note, Camaro is not a recognized word in Chrome's spell checker.

• Like 1

What I still don't get, why the Mustang is still only available with a 6 speed auto? The Challenger has a 8 speed since 2015, now the Camaro has a 8 speed, why is Ford always behind?

We keep hearing they are working on a 10 speed, when are we going to see it.

This is where I think Ford/Lincoln lags behind the industry. Crappy transmissions.

The 5.0 needs more HP and torque as well.

Might be 2010 all over again, Ford launches a re-design Mustang and did't upgrade the drive train until 2011. New Camaro comes out with more powerful engines and stole the sales crown away from the Mustang. Hope history doesn't repeat it self again.

The 5.0 needs more HP and torque as well.

Since when is 435/400 not enough power from a 5.0L? There is no practical power difference between a Mustang GT and a Camaro SS unless you're doing timed laps on a track or drag strip or you're bench racing on the internet.

If that's not enough get a GT350 or wait for a GT500.

As soon as I read the opening paragraph about the MT writer who claims how he was dusted 15 years ago by the Chevy, told me how the rest of the article would not go well for Ford lovers.

How come the Mustang listed out at $47,000...it seems to show that Mustang was hopeless against the Camaro despite a $8-9,000 price advantage?