Do our votes really even matter?

fuzzymoomoo

Courts have decided that skilled trades cannot hold up a contract that has been approved by the overall majority.Trades are 'fair market value' meaning our wages and benefits at Ford can be duplicated at other companies.Basically we are 'sold out' to give production a better deal.IUAW rules everything and I believe they own the locals IF the head of the locals want a job at IUAW then they better 'play ball' and get those bozos to tow the line..When outside machine tool vendors come in they charge Ford hundreds of dollars an hour for a service call.When the outside locals come in its $70-80 an hour.Wanna replace a production worker?Call Kelly Services for $15 an hour.I am not complaining about the money.I am fine with the money, fair market value is okay by me.What is killing me is this 7 day/12 hour shift AWS I am forced to work at DTP and if a company paid holiday falls within my schedule and the company decides work then I work and so far the only day 'blacked-out' has been Christmas.This means I sacrifice my holiday and family sacrifices too,so I show up on Labor Day for 12 hours, to grease limit switches and change ballast.Easter Sunday falls within my schedule and I want to take it off?Okay but burn 12 hours vacation or personal time.A 7 day schedule was developed for critical operations like watching boilers and power service.It is a killer schedule to place trades on in order to 'run' production 21 hours a day.I am surprised no one has been hurt yet because you get so beat down.That is why I voted no.The money is good, not spectacular like production gets but do they have to run me into the ground mentally and physically.Production could care less read the replies that will follow from my UAW brothers and sisters,telling me "GO DIE MOTHER LOVER" its all about production and all about tier one so a hi-lo driver can make over 6 figures with OT where besides Ford?Mandatory 12 hours first ten straight time!Time and a quarter on Sat. and Sun!Mandatory holiday work!What this means is that Ford get 365/24/7 coverage from the trades with less overtime pay.For a price,production would vote to outsource all of us if they could but the company is too smart to let the people go who can get their line back up and running when minutes matter.Back to your question about votes mattering if you are trades voting no because of a trades issue then passage of the contract is held up long enough to hear your concerns but in the end its the majority that rules.What can ya do besides leave the union?

Edited by Fatso
  • Like 2

Courts have decided that skilled trades cannot hold up a contract that has been approved by the overall majority.Trades are 'fair market value' meaning our wages and benefits at Ford can be duplicated at other companies.Basically we are 'sold out' to give production a better deal.IUAW rules everything and I believe they own the locals IF the head of the locals want a job at IUAW then they better 'play ball' and get those bozos to tow the line..When outside machine tool vendors come in they charge Ford hundreds of dollars an hour for a service call.When the outside locals come in its $70-80 an hour.Wanna replace a production worker?Call Kelly Services for $15 an hour.I am not complaining about the money.I am fine with the money, fair market value is okay by me.What is killing me is this 7 day/12 hour shift AWS I am forced to work at DTP and if a company paid holiday falls within my schedule and the company decides work then I work and so far the only day 'blacked-out' has been Christmas.This means I sacrifice my holiday and family sacrifices too,so I show up on Labor Day for 12 hours, to grease limit switches and change ballast.Easter Sunday falls within my schedule and I want to take it off?Okay but burn 12 hours vacation or personal time.A 7 day schedule was developed for critical operations like watching boilers and power service.It is a killer schedule to place trades on in order to 'run' production 21 hours a day.I am surprised no one has been hurt yet because you get so beat down.That is why I voted no.The money is good, not spectacular like production gets but do they have to run me into the ground mentally and physically.Production could care less read the replies that will follow from my UAW brothers and sisters,telling me "GO DIE MOTHER LOVER" its all about production and all about tier one so a hi-lo driver can make over 6 figures with OT where besides Ford?Mandatory 12 hours first ten straight time!Time and a quarter on Sat. and Sun!Mandatory holiday work!What this means is that Ford get 365/24/7 coverage from the trades with less overtime pay.For a price,production would vote to outsource all of us if they could but the company is too smart to let the people go who can get their line back up and running when minutes matter.Back to your question about votes mattering if you are trades voting no because of a trades issue then passage of the contract is held up long enough to hear your concerns but in the end its the majority that rules.What can ya do besides leave the union?

Production now has the right to decide Skill Trade issues. If Skilled turns down a contract because of a Trade issue and production gets what they want, NO SOUP FOR YOU..........They can VOTE you out of a job..............

Production now has the right to decide Skill Trade issues. If Skilled turns down a contract because of a Trade issue and production gets what they want, NO SOUP FOR YOU..........They can VOTE you out of a job..............

After witnessing some work done by trades.....I'd like to be able to vote them out of a job. I can't count how many times I've had to tell them how to fix something.

After witnessing some work done by trades.....I'd like to be able to vote them out of a job. I can't count how many times I've had to tell them how to fix something.

You can`t count but, you are telling a trades person how to do a job.... there is only one question, Tier2 when do you head to solid house they need your input?

• Like 3

Decker I have read your posts and I know you are a solid union member just ignore the childish idiots who post for the sole purpose of aggravation.Any production worker with common sense knows that they need the trades behind them.It can go both ways times can get tough again and Ford can say we need more tier 2 and tier 3 and trades are not involved so sure why not.Or Ford can open a plant down south and hire production for $15 and trades for $25 {with unlimited OT}like the transplants do.I cant complain about the $$$$ its okay but why do I have to be a member of the only local at Ford,who forces its members to give up their holidays and work sunday at time and a quarter?What union tradesman votes yes to that?

Edited by Fatso
  • Like 3

Decker I have read your posts and I know you are a solid union member just ignore the childish idiots who post for the sole purpose of aggravation.Any production worker with common sense knows that they need the trades behind them.It can go both ways times can get tough again and Ford can say we need more tier 2 and tier 3 and trades are not involved so sure why not.Or Ford can open a plant down south and hire production for $15 and trades for $25 {with unlimited OT}like the transplants do.I cant complain about the $$$$ its okay but why do I have to be a member of the only local at Ford,who forces its members to give up their holidays and work sunday at time and a quarter?What union tradesman votes yes to that?

What would I do without a tradesman? When you see one not sleeping or playing cards can you send them to my work station to change some light bulbs, going on 3 weeks now.

Edited by Weecountry

You're in the dark when it comes to the contract, so we just thought that's how you liked it.

If the contracts so bad and you are not compensated fairly. I'm sure other companies are looking for trades. I hope you are an electrician, because outside of Ford that's about the only trade there is.

What would I do without a tradesman? When you see one not sleeping or playing cards can you send them to my work station to change some light bulbs, going on 3 weeks now.

FYI......you must first inform your stupervisor about the burned out lights. He must then request service for his area. Once his request is approved by manager, a work order is produced and given to trades supervisor who then schedules maintenance. Once maintenance is scheduled, the appropriate tradesman will wake up or put down his cards and address the problem. A tradesman cannot look at your burned out bulbs and decide to replace them without a work order. As far as a tradesman is concerned, those lights are supposed to be off. Just because tradesmen are not running around like production workers does not mean they are not doing their job.

• Like 4