Sync 3 & Adaptive steering

jasonj80

Then why did they drop Microsoft and not have them push to get the app right?

They didn't drop Microsoft - they actually brought in Microsoft to help fix what b-square screwed up.

They chose QNX for the reasons stated above - it's a better O/S for this type of application.

They didn't drop Microsoft - they actually brought in Microsoft to help fix what b-square screwed up.

They chose QNX for the reasons stated above - it's a better O/S for this type of application.

Thanks. Many differing opinions about MFT. Sync 3 may be next. New programs always have things to be worked out.

Thanks. Many differing opinions about MFT. Sync 3 may be next. New programs always have things to be worked out.

It's still software and the only software that doesn't have bugs is the one that hasn't been written yet. But it shouldn't be anywhere close to the MFT launch debacle.

If you weren't on the Edge forum in late 2010/2011 I don't think you can appreciate how bad it really was. That was not a fun time to be a moderator.

I actually left this board because of disputes over MFT/MLT and the disagreement that it was "THAT BAD!". I've had a total of 6 MFT/MLT vehicles and I was an early adopter so I've been through that nightmare in detail and I won't recount it. But suffice it to say, it's a badly designed, implemented, and coded piece of software and hardware that needs to be ripped out and set on fire and Ford most certainly earned those scars for it. It's still a crummy system but certainly better than it was at launch. And there are still FAR more bugs than just ambient lighting controls and media settings. I can get that system to lock up virtually anytime I move too fast through the system, probably because of poor RAM management. And nope, doesn't matter which car I use it in.

I'm sure others have a different perspective on it, it works fine if you use it sparingly or for only basic functions. It's likely less troublesome for those people who don't have Navigation which tends to be a common point of failure for me.

I've used Sync 3 which is much better but not without lag as well. So far nobody is reporting major issues although I've heard from people in the Ford garage that Sync 3 still has allot of bugs. Ford has fallen well behind most in this game with smaller screens and lacking popular features (like CarPlay and Android Auto) but I think they are focusing on a simpler trouble-free experience. I just wish the volume controls wouldn't obscure the screen when you're adjusting it (which I do all the time).

When MFT launched, it was really seen as an incentive to buy a Ford over other cars which didn't offer anything like it. Today it's a different story, it's an expected feature on all cars and the only thing you need to do is not give anybody a reason to complain about it and I think Sync 3 does a good job there. Time will tell of course.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I've never used some of the more complex systems from the luxury marques which Detroit has uniformly avoided. It would be nice to have the display higher on the dashboard to avoid the distraction of looking down to operate the display, but those systems are not ideally suitable for platforms like Android Auto or CarPlay. If you have to use a mouse or gesturing system to operating the UI, then you have to wonder if the system is too complex or layered. It's probably better suited to a Lincoln which will eventually have allot more settings and controls for its features (presumably), although Lincoln has chosen to bury most of those in the latest instrument panel interface which I find remarkably confusing and distracting to use relative to Sync 3 or even MLT.

In either case, most carmakers, especially Lincoln...have a really long way to go and seem to lack expertise in the matter.

Edited by BORG

MS dropped their auto platform and will no longer be producing it.

Windows Embedded Automotive is still around. It's currently at version 7.

However, the platform's future is bleak. Although the Windows CE based OS technically meets the requirements of an RTOS, in practice it's at least two generations behind QNX, VxWorks, and various flavors of Embedded Linux for automotive applications.

Fast Company technology correspondent Harry McCracken summed things up perfectly when he stated, "But from the start, it felt like MyFordTouch was trying to do next-generation things on a last-generation operating system."

• Like 1

Windows Embedded Automotive is still around. It's currently at version 7.

However, the platform's future is bleak. Although the Windows CE based OS technically meets the requirements of an RTOS, in practice it's at least two generations behind QNX, VxWorks, and various flavors of Embedded Linux for automotive applications.

Fast Company technology correspondent Harry McCracken summed things up perfectly when he stated, "But from the start, it felt like MyFordTouch was trying to do next-generation things on a last-generation operating system."

Yea, basically it's being 'end of lifed' with no planned upgrades. There was supposedly a 'metro' version coming, but that was cancelled and version 7 will be the last. At least, that was my understanding.

Curious, I don't follow other makes much, are Fiat, Nissan, and Kia having troubles with their MS implementations of Windows Embedded Auto? Are they still using it or have they moved on?

• Like 1

Re: higher screen, the 2016 Lexus RX350 has done that and also offers a larger 12.3 display . I saw one at the auto show. But in another way, Lexus tech is behind Ford. The Lexus Park Assist is just a series of screen warnings if you get too close to things. Certainly not Ford's sweet Park Assist.

Edited by Dedonut

You can crash most any piece of software if you try hard enough. The question is whether it crashes in normal everyday use. In 2011 it was doing that for almost everyone weekly if not daily.

And again - it was not designed to be as fast or as responsive as your smartphone, so expecting it to work that way is silly.

The best indicator is how many complaints you hear from new buyers. In 2011 and 2012 they were frequent. Today they're almost non-existent.

not sure about Nissan but they have a notably outdated and substandard system.

Nissan's new generation infotainment system is Linux based (AGL). When this system was first introduced on the 2014 Infiniti Q50 (InTouch), it was ridden with glitches. Like Ford, Nissan acknowledged this and made improvements fairly quickly. The version of this system in 2016 Nissan Maxima (NissanConnect) received mostly favorable reviews.

I agree that the older infotainment systems used in other Nissan products are outdated and substandard.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

Nissan's new generation infotainment system is Linux based (AGL). When this system was first introduced on the 2014 Infiniti Q50 (InTouch), it was ridden with glitches. Like Ford, Nissan acknowledged this and made improvements fairly quickly. The version of this system in 2016 Nissan Maxima (NissanConnect) received mostly favorable reviews.

I agree that the older infotainment systems used in other Nissan products are outdated and substandard.

I was going by the one in the new Nissan Altima, didn't realize they had moved Infinitis system to the Maxima...makes sense.

The good thing about Ford and GM is that they at least have a consistent roll-out to all their vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my Sync 3 MKX to be built but I'll miss the mouse-driven system Lexus has and the e-destination app that allows you to send destinations from your computer to your Nav. I love that feature and the hands-off-the-screen mouse.

Mapquest uses a "Send to Sync" feature.

Mapquest uses a "Send to Sync" feature.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I like that feature and I use mapquest.

Are you talking about the 'send to email' or 'send to mobile number'? Lexus sends it to the destination app on the Nav. system. I've done the map quest 'email my directions' and then couldn't open it w/o an internet connection! That didn't help at all. Is there something else I didn't see?

Edited by Dedonut

I think mapquest got rid of send to sync a couple of years ago. There were problems with it and there was one edge owner over on the edge forum who got his panties in a wad because it didn't work right for him. Although I swear he went out of his way to find things that didn't work just so he could complain about it.