Dead Battery (again)

RangerM

I've Googled this, and I hadn't seen an exact duplicate of my truck's symptoms, so here goes.

Since I got the truck new in August, 2013, my truck has failed to start 3 times.

The first time was this past Spring (~72 F) just before my afternoon commute. The dome lights came on and were weak, and the truck wouldn't start. After a jump, I took it to dealer, and they said nothing was wrong--suggested my 25 minute commute wasn't driving it enough to keep battery charged. (Sounds like bullshit to me)

The next time was this past Summer, at night. Truck had sat from Monday 'til Saturday at airport. Nothing would work prior to jump, so battery pretty much discharged.

This morning it was 39 F. Remote unlock didn't work, but on approach I noticed the instrument cluster was lit (dome lights didn't come on when opening door). I don't know if this is a symptom of the problem, or if it's a symptom of a dying battery. (chicken or egg)

In all cases, after jump starting the truck, you'd never know anything had happened. Truck runs great, and doesn't fail to start normally until.......?.

If it helps the truck is a 2013 F150 EB SuperCrew. Sync, but no MFT. Assembled in January, 2013 in Detroit. I leave the lights on the Automatic setting, but I know I've never left a dome light on or the door ajar, and I've always turned the heat/AC off before I turn the truck off. (a habit)

I've considered replacing the battery, but the dealer said it was fine (but I'm starting to assume they didn't want to do it under warranty)

Thoughts or insights?

Edited by RangerM

I've Googled this, and I hadn't seen an exact duplicate of my truck's symptoms, so here goes.

Since I got the truck new in August, 2013, my truck has failed to start 3 times.

The first time was this past Spring (~72 F) just before my afternoon commute. The dome lights came on and were weak, and the truck wouldn't start. After a jump, I took it to dealer, and they said nothing was wrong--suggested my 25 minute commute wasn't driving it enough to keep battery charged. (Sounds like bullshit to me)

The next time was this past Summer, at night. Truck had sat from Monday 'til Saturday at airport. Nothing would work prior to jump, so battery pretty much discharged.

This morning it was 39 F. Remote unlock didn't work, but on approach I noticed the instrument cluster was lit (dome lights didn't come on when opening door). I don't know if this is a symptom of the problem, or if it's a symptom of a dying battery. (chicken or egg)

In all cases, after jump starting the truck, you'd never know anything had happened. Truck runs great, and doesn't fail to start normally until.......?.

If it helps the truck is a 2013 F150 EB SuperCrew. Sync, but no MFT. Assembled in January, 2013 in Detroit. I leave the lights on the Automatic setting, but I know I've never left a dome light on or the door ajar, and I've always turned the heat/AC off before I turn the truck off. (a habit)

I've considered replacing the battery, but the dealer said it was fine (but I'm starting to assume they didn't want to do it under warranty)

Thoughts or insights?

Doesn't sound like a battery issue, otherwise you would likely have problems more regularly. I don't think the dealership would have a problem covering your battery under warranty simply due to the fact that it doesn't come out of their pocket. My guess would be some type of parasitic drain on the battery in certain circumstances. Finding that drain could prove nearly impossible since it seems to be really sporadic.

Doesn't sound like a battery issue, otherwise you would likely have problems more regularly. I don't think the dealership would have a problem covering your battery under warranty simply due to the fact that it doesn't come out of their pocket. My guess would be some type of parasitic drain on the battery in certain circumstances. Finding that drain could prove nearly impossible since it seems to be really sporadic.

I've seen references to a single plug near the tailgate causing common parasitic losses when water infiltrates, but I've not experienced the problem during wet weather, nor had I been driving in wet weather prior to parking the truck.

I'd read about a "Battery Control Module" causing problems when it doesn't read/remember the correct state of charge of the battery, but I have NO idea what that means or what the ramifications could/would be.

Edited by RangerM

It's the "body control module" that can drain the battery. Also the console shifter park detection switch (this usually shows up as an occasional "shift to park" warning message when it's already in park).

The battery may need to be replaced - check the cranking amps or just replace it anyway.

I had a similar issue on my 2013 Raptor and after a couple of trips to the dealer they determined it was a sensor in the shifter, as sugested by the previous poster, however I never had any warning lights. They replaced the whole shifter assembly and the problem was solved. It is probable it is the same problem.

I think his truck is an XLT, so he wouldn't have the console shifter park detection switch (unless it's the same on the column shifter, which I don't think it is). Also, isn't that only on vehicles with push-button start, which the '13 F150 does not have?

No, it's not just for push button start - all vehicles have the sensor. And some XLTs did come with console shifters in certain packages/configurations.

No, it's not just for push button start - all vehicles have the sensor. And some XLTs did come with console shifters in certain packages/configurations.

Understand on the non-push button start (obviously it fixed tbone's issue), but when was there an XLT F150 with a console shifter? I'm 99.99999% sure that was only available on FX4 and up.

Not to belabor the point and take away from the main point of the thread....

Understand on the non-push button start (obviously it fixed tbone's issue), but when was there an XLT F150 with a console shifter? I'm 99.99999% sure that was only available on FX4 and up.

Not to belabor the point and take away from the main point of the thread....

I thought it was part of a sport package, although that may have been a FX2 model?

Your truck should have the auto battery kill (whatever is called) that de powers if you should leave a dome light or other device on. I believe headlights also go through this relay.

So I would look at parasitic loss from a device that doesn't go through that function.

Well...I have a 2014 STX Sport reg. cab 5.0. My battery went dead the first time about a month ago. Its happened three times now. Thank you road side service...garage side service in my case. Ford changed the battery after the second time. After the third time they kept it for three days doing tests and found nothing. Sorry.

Until it first went dead, when I would shut off the truck, I could never continue to listen to the radio until I opened a door. The instrument panel would show a battery and say it was conserving the battery...or some words like that. After Ford changed the battery that has not happened. But still after it sits for four days the battery goes dead.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a battery draw. Also, when the battery was replaced, I wonder if they reset the battery management system. The bms will show that battery conservation message if its not been reset even with a new battery. Also, keep an eye out and make sure the instrument cluster lights do not stay on with key off. We have seen some issues where the park switch doesn't detect park position and keeps the IC background lights on intermittently.

Edited by fordtech1

Sounds like a battery draw. Also, when the battery was replaced, I wonder if they reset the battery management system. The bms will show that battery conservation message if its not been reset even with a new battery. Also, keep an eye out and make sure the instrument cluster lights do not stay on with key off. We have seen some issues where the park switch doesn't detect park position and keeps the IC background lights on intermittently.

Is there a TSB on when the IC lights remain on? I saw this on my truck when it failed to start the third time. Just didn't want to go back to the dealer for them to say they couldn't find anything wrong, again.

Also, regarding the Battery Management System. I think I've read the system will reset itself if the truck is allowed to sit for 8 hours undisturbed. If incorrect, I'm assuming only a dealer can do this? (I'd expect your average AutoZone clerk wouldn't be aware of it at all)

There is not a tsb on that issue on f150. However, it is a known concern. If the P in park indicator doesn't not illuminate red when placed in park, the IC will not sleep because it thinks its not in park. Keep an eye on that. Randomly check IC through the window while it's parked to see if IC back Illumination is on. Also, resetting the BMS with an IDS is the most effective way to make sure the charging system has a real indication of battery status.