2003 4.6 Swap

mickeyshowers

Hello all,

I've got an '03 Expo with 176 on the clock that just popped her first spark plug. Given the history on these heads, I consider myself lucky but it's time for a rebuild or a swap.

As long as I'm pulling the engine, I figure this is the time to try and improve the gutless nature of the 4.6

I don't do a lot of heavy hauling, but I do pull a 20' pontoon and it would be nice to be able to get out of the hole AND be able to cruise at 70 down the interstate.

My questions are:

What should I do to solve my towing frustrations? Does it make more sense to swap in a 5.4? Does that come with a bunch of issues? Are 'performance' crate engines available?

I thought maybe I would find some complete swap threads but most of what I've seen is 1st gen.

Thanks for the advice!

TimeSert "Big Sert" kit is all you need for the plugs. Takes about 15 minutes with an air ratchet, no disassembly required. 176k if well maintained is just broken in. Comes with several inserts and will pay for itself. Not a cheesy steel kit that will fail.

3 valve 5.4's are total shit and will require a donor vehicle for harness, mounts, PCM etc.

• Like 1