2010 Rust though

jimp

I have a 2010 Focus and it's just passed 5.5 years (6 months after rust warrante ends) and both rocker panels are rusted through front to back. I was wanting to know if this is normal or am I just very lucky?

I live where they use salt, but it very seldom got into my garage without a wash (2 blocks from car wash) until I moved this spring. I looked it over and it looks like they made no attemp to keep water out of the rockers, great big drain holes (also allow salt and water to get inside). When I sprayed up in these holes the water just leaked out all along the bottom seam. This does not seem like a good idea. I have since used a rust conversion spray inside the panels to slow it down, but the car is only worth about $4,000 or less so it's drive till dead.

I am brand loyal (2014 KR Expedition, 1996 EB Bronco and 1996 F 250 4x4) but this is putting a real strain on that loyalty.

Actually drain holes like that prevent rust. Trapped moisture will lead to rust through very quickly. It also lets the factory rust treatment get in there.

First I've heard of this type of problem.

All the cars I have seen before had channel drains in the pinch seam. This allowed moisture to drain while limiting the amount of road salt and water that could get inside. My Focus has 5 or 6 holes on the bottom of the rocker that opens directly to the inside of the rocker allowing salt and water to freely enter the rockers as you drive down the road, I still think it's not one of Ford's better ideas.

You knew this yet didn't bring it to the dealer to look at it?

I could not see inside the rocker. The first I noted was raised paint a couple weeks ago as it rusted from the inside out. I now have about 20 rust blisters about ready to pop open. I wash the car often and if they were visable I would have done something about it when it was under waranty.

If it was a design issue I think we'd see a lot more like yours and this is the first time I've heard of it. And we have plenty of owners who live in similar snow and salt situations.

I still don't think that it is one of Ford's best ideas. However, as in my original post, am I just unlucky and got a car that missed one of the rust proofing steps? Since it does not seem to be a big issue I guess that's the case. It still pisses me off that Ford let it happen and the timing. I like to keep my cars for a long time and this one not likely to make my goal. The 96 F 250 is rust free and my Bronco has had to have the rear wheel wells replaced not bad for 20 years old.

I could not see inside the rocker. The first I noted was raised paint a couple weeks ago as it rusted from the inside out. I now have about 20 rust blisters about ready to pop open. I wash the car often and if they were visable I would have done something about it when it was under waranty.

Did you wash the car with blindfolds on?? Sorry....I am not "buying" it....rockers don't rust out to that extent in six months....

Edited by twintornados

Did you wash the car with blindfolds on?? Sorry....I am not "buying" it....rockers don't rust out to that extent in six months....

He's saying they were rusting from the inside out. In that case you wouldn't see the rust until it came through the top of the rocker panel. And you can't see inside the rocker like you could see the inside of the wheel well e.g.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me - just not sure what caused it since it seems to be an isolated case.

Wheel well rust is common for obvious reasons. Rocker panel rust through isn't common at all on a Mk 2 Focus.

As I said above, I've seen it. Just because you haven't doesn't make it untrue.

You may know many things, but you do not know everything.

As I said above, I've seen it. Just because you haven't doesn't make it untrue.

You may know many things, but you do not know everything.

You never said you saw rusted rocker panels - you said you saw rusted wheel wells.

I said I had never heard of another case like this on this forum or other forums. I never said that it never happened. If it was a common problem I would have expected to have seen someone else posting about it.

You never said you saw rusted rocker panels - you said you saw rusted wheel wells.

I said I had never heard of another case like this on this forum or other forums. I never said that it never happened. If it was a common problem I would have expected to have seen someone else posting about it.

I said I have seen it, but especially around the wheel openings.

I have observed many Mk2 Foci with lower body rust. Which includes wheel openings, doors and rocker panels.

Percentage wise it may be low, but it definitely happens to these cars.

I think you missed the point. jimp was implying the design with holes was the cause of the rocker panel rusting. If that was true then it would be a widespread problem and it's not. The rocker panel rust isn't any worse than wheel well rust or other areas, so it's not a design problem.

• 11 months later...