2016 Mustang Plant Quality Hold

nortoncommando

Hi Guys. I am new here on the BlueOval but have been pretty active over on the other Mustang Forums. Has any heard of why there is a plant quality hold on 2016 Mustangs? Many guys cars (including my GT w/ Performance Package) have been sitting in holding lots due to a Plant Quality Hold. Ford will not tell us what is wrong with the cars or even give us ETA's any longer. Lots of guys have "TBD" for the delivery date. My delivery date was several days ago. I went out to the rail yard and saw my car the other day. (With 16 other Mustangs just waiting). My car has been in the parking lot at the rail yard for a week now.

Any info you can provide would be a great help. Thanks so much.

It could be a million and one different things. The reason for quality holds aren't usually released to the public. There might not even be anything wrong with them, but they could want to do additional checks on them anyway.

Be patient and be glad they're taking the time to fix it at the plant, instead of putting the responsibility on you. :)

It could be a million and one different things. The reason for quality holds aren't usually released to the public. There might not even be anything wrong with them, but they could want to do additional checks on them anyway.

Be patient and be glad they're taking the time to fix it at the plant, instead of putting the responsibility on you. :)

Thanks Fuzzymoomoo. It's just frustrating because my car was already released, then returned to the factory, then re-released, only then to be held again at the rail yard. It's like telling a kid that Xmas isn't going to happen until tomorrow. And when tomorrow comes telling them it's going to be a few more days. :-(

Thanks Fuzzymoomoo. It's just frustrating because my car was already released, then returned to the factory, then re-released, only then to be held again at the rail yard. It's like telling a kid that Xmas isn't going to happen until tomorrow. And when tomorrow comes telling them it's going to be a few more days. :-(

It happens. Just be glad it wasn't shipped from Mexico to flat rock, then back to Mexico. That was pretty common when the current Fusion and MKZ launched.

I have not heard about a quality hold on Mustang shipments. I believe the shortage of railcars is more likely the reason Mustang shipments are backlogged. My Mustang's build date was 9/29/2015 and was still awaiting shipment on Friday, 10/23/2015. Neither my dealer nor Ford's customer service could provide me an estimated delivery date on Friday. The COTUS website still indicates NO MATCHING VEHICLE COULD BE FOUND and has for the past four weeks. So, I don't know if my Mustang is still at Flat Rock awaiting shipment or is in transit.

I have not heard about a quality hold on Mustang shipments. I believe the shortage of railcars is more likely the reason Mustang shipments are backlogged. My Mustang's build date was 9/29/2015 and was still awaiting shipment on Friday, 10/23/2015. Neither my dealer nor Ford's customer service could provide me an estimated delivery date on Friday. The COTUS website still indicates NO MATCHING VEHICLE COULD BE FOUND and has for the past four weeks. So, I don't know if my Mustang is still at Flat Rock awaiting shipment or is in transit.

There maybe a shortage of railcars, but that is not what is causing these Mustangs to be delayed. Reports from guys on the other Mustang forum indicate that their cars (and mine) already arrived at the final rail destination. They are just sitting in the parking lots at the rail yards waiting to be released to the dealers. (My car is just a few miles from my house! I actually went to the rail yard and the security guard took me to it just to show me.

0C922739-FB32-4C1C-BA25-971ACA297BA2_zps

Edited by nortoncommando

There maybe a shortage of railcars, but that is not what is causing these Mustangs to be delayed. Reports from guys on the other Mustang forum indicate that their cars (and mine) already arrived at the final rail destination. They are just sitting in the parking lots at the rail yards waiting to be released to the dealers. (My car is just a few miles from my house! I actually went to the rail yard and the security guard took me to it just to show me.

0C922739-FB32-4C1C-BA25-971ACA297BA2_zps

Gorgeous!!! :camera: Nuts that the car just down the road from you...

Too bad you could not work out a way to get it to the dealer by a flatbed tow or trailer :doh:

Edited by danglin

Gorgeous!!! :camera: Nuts that the car just down the road from you...

Too bad you could not work out a way to get it to the dealer by a flatbed tow or trailer :doh:

Yeah, the problem isn't the logistics involved with getting it from the rail yard to the dealer.... the problem is getting Ford to release it. There are at least 16 other Mustang GT's all in the rail yard in Missouri waiting to be released. It's nut. I really wish I knew what was wrong with them.

Guys who ordered after me are starting to get their cars.... it sucks.

Edited by nortoncommando

None of this information is new really. The most being that shipments our of the Flat Rock plant are often delayed for weeks on end. The problem at the final destination rail yards most often is with the transportation (car carrier) firms contracted to haul the vehicles to the dealers. Some of the car carrier firms often refuse to ship full loads of Ford vehicles, claiming that they don't make enough profit from doing so, so they split the loads with vehicles going to GM or other brand dealerships.

FYI... For vehicles going to the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area, those vehicles get shipped to the Newark Ramp. The primary haulers out of the Newark Ramp are United Road and Fleet Car which are both horrible. Vehicles hauled by Fleet Car or United Road have a much higher damage rate. In particular, Fleet Car deliveries are done by owner/operators that aren't always qualified to haul cars of any kind due to their limited driving experience. On the other hand, vehicles delivered by Diversified Automotive are rarely delivered with any damage as all their drivers are direct employees of Diversified Automotive. Diversified Automotive has strict hiring standards and requires years of experience before considering new hires.

Transportation contracts come up for renewal and go out to bid as expected with the lowest bidder often winning the new car carrier hauling contract. Unfortunately, someone at Ford in Dearborn doesn't look at the damage history, etc. Gee... We'll same money by shipping vehicles by rail to the Newark Ramp instead of sending them to the rail ramp in Rhode Island. The vehicles will sit at the Newark Ramp for a week or two and then be hauled twice the distance with more damage history. Or we can pay a bit more to have them sent by rail to the Rhode Island Ramp and hauled by Diversified Automotive for delivery within 72 hours with very little damage claims. Damage claim history aside, Ford doesn't get paid until the vehicles are delivered to dealerships!

Hope this helps.

None of this information is new really. The most being that shipments our of the Flat Rock plant are often delayed for weeks on end. The problem at the final destination rail yards most often is with the transportation (car carrier) firms contracted to haul the vehicles to the dealers. Some of the car carrier firms often refuse to ship full loads of Ford vehicles, claiming that they don't make enough profit from doing so, so they split the loads with vehicles going to GM or other brand dealerships.

FYI... For vehicles going to the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area, those vehicles get shipped to the Newark Ramp. The primary haulers out of the Newark Ramp are United Road and Fleet Car which are both horrible. Vehicles hauled by Fleet Car or United Road have a much higher damage rate. In particular, Fleet Car deliveries are done by owner/operators that aren't always qualified to haul cars of any kind due to their limited driving experience. On the other hand, vehicles delivered by Diversified Automotive are rarely delivered with any damage as all their drivers are direct employees of Diversified Automotive. Diversified Automotive has strict hiring standards and requires years of experience before considering new hires.

Transportation contracts come up for renewal and go out to bid as expected with the lowest bidder often winning the new car carrier hauling contract. Unfortunately, someone at Ford in Dearborn doesn't look at the damage history, etc. Gee... We'll same money by shipping vehicles by rail to the Newark Ramp instead of sending them to the rail ramp in Rhode Island. The vehicles will sit at the Newark Ramp for a week or two and then be hauled twice the distance with more damage history. Or we can pay a bit more to have them sent by rail to the Rhode Island Ramp and hauled by Diversified Automotive for delivery within 72 hours with very little damage claims. Damage claim history aside, Ford doesn't get paid until the vehicles are delivered to dealerships!

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ice. I appreciate it!

Unfortunately in this case it doesn't seem to be a car hauler issue. I personally went to the rail yard and talked to the foreman who looked up my VIN and said he can't move the cars because of a hold code "2S" Ford Plant Quality Hold. A bunch of guys over on the other Mustang forum are getting the same thing even though all of our cars are at different rail yards. IN fact, guys who ordered after we did and whose cars were built after our are now arriving at the dealers while ours are sitting in the rail yard.

I wonder if this is it:

Ford also is recalling 1,900 2016 Ford Mustang vehicles in North America after some restraint parts could have been damaged during shipping from the supplier prior to installation in the vehicle. If damaged during shipping, the affected restraint parts might not conform to the requirements for seat belt assembly performance or rules on child restraint anchor systems.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2015/10/28/ford-issues-three-new-recalls-covering-vehicles/74730186/

Yep. that's it. Thanks for posting that. I went to the national car recall database and typed in my VIN and got this:

SUMMARY:

SHIPPING DAMAGE TO RESTRAINT PARTS

SAFETY RISK:

SEAT BELTS OR TETHER ANCHORS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS 209 OR 225, RESPECTIVELY, MAY NOT ADEQUATELY RESTRAIN THE OCCUPANT IN A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

REMEDY:
OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING REPLACED: LEFT-HAND (LH) AND RIGHT-HAND (RH) FRONT SEAT BELT RETRACTORS AND PRETENSIONERS, LH AND RH REAR SEAT BELT RETRACTORS, LH AND RH REAR SEAT BELT BUCKLES, AND LH AND RH REAR CHILD SAFETY SEAT TETHER ANCHORS. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

I spoke with Ford's customer service this afternoon. It appears my Mustang is no longer waiting for a train at Flat Rock but is actually IN TRANSIT with an estimated delivery date to my local dealer of 11/13/2015 (Friday the 13th). So, it appears that the seat belt restraint issue is not, or was not, an issue for the long-time delay in shipping for my Mustang.

Well listen to this crap.... the car arrived at the dealer yesterday. I was so excited. My sales guy told me he'd PDI the car and have it ready ASAP.

ONE PROBLEM, the car is under safety recall and they can't sell it. There are no replacement parts and no information on how to fix the problems. They have offered to take parts of a non-recalled mustang but they don't know if Ford will allow it. The ETA from ford states that parts an instructions will come on or before week of Nov. 30.

This is so stupid.

Edited by nortoncommando

How disappointing that must be. I received a call from my dealer Monday afternoon indicating my Mustang is IN TRANSIT. At that time, it was on a train at or near Columbus, Ohio with an ETD of late this week or early next week. My fear - Ford will also put a hold on my Mustang and I won't be able to pick it up next week.

How disappointing that must be. I received a call from my dealer Monday afternoon indicating my Mustang is IN TRANSIT. At that time, it was on a train at or near Columbus, Ohio with an ETD of late this week or early next week. My fear - Ford will also put a hold on my Mustang and I won't be able to pick it up next week.

What is your build date? Hopefully it isn't recalled.

Unfortunately, my build date is 9/29/2015 (right in the middle of the 9/26/20/15 to 10/01/2015 recall period). I assume the safety recall concerns the seat belt restraint issue? Guess I will find out in a few days but I am not optimistic with the build date for my Mustang.

Unfortunately, my build date is 9/29/2015 (right in the middle of the 9/26/20/15 to 10/01/2015 recall period). I assume the safety recall concerns the seat belt restraint issue? Guess I will find out in a few days but I am not optimistic with the build date for my Mustang.

You should check your vin in the recall database. You can also check it on the ford etis site or ford owner site.

nortoncommando

My Mustang must have been inspected and released prior to departing Flat Rock. The build date was 9/29/15 and began transit on/about 10/27/15. I took delivery on 11/10/15. I am glad that you were able to find a suitable replacement for your special order and no longer have to wait for Ford to release your custom order. Hope you enjoy it as much as I expect to enjoy mine.