2018 Expedition Spy Pics

waloud

If the Expedition comes with her, it doesn't matter what it looks like because their will be plenty of male buyers lined up.

However, if you've noticed, many fullsized SUVs are driven by females, and though you and I might like it with F150 styling, the market suggests otherwise. It would be a poor choice to alienate half or more of your market, if you want this new model to take back marketshare.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If the Expedition comes with her, it doesn't matter what it looks like because their will be plenty of male buyers lined up.

However, if you've noticed, many fullsized SUVs are driven by females, and though you and I might like it with F150 styling, the market suggests otherwise. It would be a poor choice to alienate half or more of your market, if you want this new model to take back marketshare.

So picking a feminine design isn't alienating the other half of the market of men who like traditional looking SUVs?

So picking a feminine design isn't alienating the other half of the market of men who like traditional looking SUVs?

So, only guys like "traditional looking" SUV's? The Lovely Linda had 3 Ford Escapes....2001, 2005, 2010, when it came time to replace the 2010, Ford had restyled the Escape to what it looks like now.....she hated it. Now, she drives a Subaru Forester...closest to the "traditional looking" SUV's of yore....squarish, boxy looking...what she likes in her SUV.

I didn't say it's what I would want. Do you think the GM triplets look like feminine vehicles, not like trucks? I think they look fine, but they do have softer lines than their truck counterparts. All I'm saying is how many women do you see driving F-150s? It's probably 5 to 10% of the trucks, whereas in SUV's, full size particularly, it's probably at minimum half, but likely more. In most cases these are their family vehicles, traditionally driven by the wife. If you don't think that wives have an impact on the vehicles that are bought for the family, then I would kindly ask you to reevaluate that position.

The F-150 in particular has adopted a very boxy utilitarian design inside and out. Very hard vertical lines and rough chunky details, especially on the interior which has gone off the deep-end in the latest iteration. There is no question the Expedition could never use any elements of those designs and remain desirable to a large audience looking for a family hauler and daily driver that is essentially a luxury SUV. More over, it would look absolutely terrible as an SUV because of it's extremely wide and boxy greenhouse with low window sills (it would look more like a Transit van or something from 1991). I think this has been a problem for the Expedition for awhile, very undesirable designs despite the more sophisticated underpinnings. I'm convinced the new Expedition seems to have FINALLY figured out what those customers wanted. I haven't seen the interior of the new Expy however. I will say the headlamps are quite different than the Explorer's but along the same evolution, rear-end is okay, the taillights are an evolution of the Explorer's but it's a little fussy to me, they are being used to make the rear look chunkier than the Navigator (both use the same body, different greenhouse details and fascias).

I also got to see the Navigator a few days ago, I like the front-end much better than the concept, it's more aggressive with sharper headlights and a wider lower fascia like the Continental (grille isn't as tall but still ginormous). The body is sleek but long, the rear overhang looks better with the chunkier details (a full ledge on the bumper instead of the smoothed butt). The rear taillights look very little like the concept and much more like the Conti but more robust and thicker. The entire back-end looks nice but certainly not as tapered or smooth (I prefer it all around). The interior is outstanding, holly sh*t! Wait until you see that, the design is far more distinctive than the Continental and the floating touchscreen isn't quite as massive as you think. The wheels on the Black Label model are absolutely unreal, nearly identical to the concept's and beautifully frame a relatively simple and smooth design. The thing that really strikes you about the new Navigator is that although it's not Land Rover slick or contemporary, it looks far less like the ancient truck of the current Navigator. I think it stands a reasonable chance against the edgier Escalade. Lincoln is making some nice progress.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

The F-150 in particular has adopted a very boxy utilitarian design inside and out. Very hard vertical lines and rough chunky details, especially on the interior which has gone off the deep-end in the latest iteration. There is no question the Expedition could never use any elements of those designs and remain desirable to a large audience looking for a family hauler and daily driver that is essentially a luxury SUV.

I also got to see the Navigator a few days ago, I like the front-end much better than the concept, it's more aggressive with sharper headlights and a wider lower fascia like the Continental (grille isn't as tall but still ginormous).

Although our opinions of the interior of the F150 diverge, I totally agree with your opinion about the next generation of the Expedition. These two vehicles should share very little aesthetically.

How have you seen the Navigator already?

Edited by tbone

I'm really looking forward to this Expedition reveal. My 05Yukon XL is getting up in miles and rust is starting to fester in a couple typical areas. I like this generation GM because of the flat rear cargo area (after 3rd row seat is removed) as I use it as a covered pick up a lot of the time. I don't really like the latest GM models because they are a much larger vehicle (high beltline, hood etc.) with less real room and drive crappy. If Ford pulls this off they'll have a buyer.

Edited by buddysystem

So, only guys like "traditional looking" SUV's? The Lovely Linda had 3 Ford Escapes....2001, 2005, 2010, when it came time to replace the 2010, Ford had restyled the Escape to what it looks like now.....she hated it. Now, she drives a Subaru Forester...closest to the "traditional looking" SUV's of yore....squarish, boxy looking...what she likes in her SUV.

My wife isn't a fan of the current Escape, but I think for the most part styling is overrated with most buyers...as long as its not outrageously ugly (Think Aztek), it won't hurt it if its priced right.

• 4 weeks later...