Ford Motor Company September 2015 Sales Results

ANTAUS

I don't think it was the changeover, per se, as much as it was the fact that GM tried to sell their trucks without huge incentives. They found out that nobody wants to buy a Silererra without $5k+ in cash on the hood.

Maybe so, but I asked my now-retired boss (who drives Chebbies) about it back then. He said the word in Chebbie fanboi circles was that their redesign had been too conservative--there was nothing to distinguish the new truck from the outgoing model.

But aren't sales of most C sedans and hatchbacks also down? It's not like the Focus is declining while the rest are increasing (is it?).

C-segment sales are on the rise overall. The big decrease is Chevy Cruze, which is under going model change over. Focus and Jetta are the only volume seller going down in significant numbers - coincidentally, both just received underwhelming facelift. At least the Jetta has new fuel efficient 1.4 TSI engine, which should will somewhat mitigate the stop sale on TDI going forward.

Focus needs help. There is a new Civic, Elantra, and Cruze coming in a few months... The focus retail sales could get really ugly. Fleet sales should be stable but I'm sure GM will be attacking the fleet side with renewed vigor with Cruze Limited.

YTD sales

Corolla 278,742 +8%

Civic 249,749 -1.5%

Elantra 193,962 +19%

Cruze 177,970 -14.5%

Focus 163,864 -7%

Sentra 154,270 +9%

Impreza+WRX+XV 142,351 +20%

Jetta (excluding wagon) 94,793 -4%

Mazda3 82,300 +2.5%

Dart 68,319 +12%

Forte 63,300 +18%

Golf (including Jetta wagon) 52,439 +41%

Compass 46,886 -2%

Verano 25,002 -27%

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Maybe so, but I asked my now-retired boss (who drives Chebbies) about it back then. He said the word in Chebbie fanboi circles was that their redesign had been too conservative--there was nothing to distinguish the new truck from the outgoing model.

Well, there's that too. It wasn't radical enough to justify buying at $5k more then you could have bought a '13 model for. :)

I insisted my next car be a stick but never had the opportunity to learn to drive one

Yeah, but you didn't have to tell a bunch of guys on a car forum that a GIRL had to teach you! ;)

But hey, I applaud your honesty. :)

Yeah, but you didn't have to tell a bunch of guys on a car forum that a GIRL had to teach you! ;)

But hey, I applaud your honesty. :)

meh, I can take it. There's way worse that I would never say.

Try telling guys on a prog rock forum that you actually own more than 1 Nickelback CD. That's way worse of a beating than you guys could give me. ;)

• Like 4

My co-worker, looking to buy a car for his daughter commented to me - "..we both like the Ford Focus, but they have transmission problems, so we will pass."

Ah - the age of Google! This is evidence that the Focus is being passed over by the non-car lover crowd (Corolla, Civic) as a troublesome vehicle.

This is a good explanation. Your co-worker is correct - Focus does have a much worse than average reliability record (with an especially high rate of problems with the transmission) as well as a low owner satisfaction rating according to Consumer Reports.

Civic, Corolla, Elantra, Impreza, and Forte all registered double digit percentage increases in September 2015 sales compared to the previous year.

My sister taught me how to drive a manual transmission.

And, not only do I own a digital version of every Nickelback album, I've seen them in concert 8 times. Would have been 9 if they hadn't canceled their tour this year.

Only seen them once, but only because I've been too broke to go to more concerts.

Thank god in not the only one here

C-segment sales are on the rise overall. The big decrease is Chevy Cruze, which is under going model change over. Focus and Jetta are the only volume seller going down in significant numbers - coincidentally, both just received underwhelming facelift. At least the Jetta has new fuel efficient 1.4 TSI engine, which should will somewhat mitigate the stop sale on TDI going forward.

Focus needs help. There is a new Civic, Elantra, and Cruze coming in a few months... The focus retail sales could get really ugly. Fleet sales should be stable but I'm sure GM will be attacking the fleet side with renewed vigor with Cruze Limited.

YTD sales

Corolla 278,742 +8%

Civic 249,749 -1.5%

Elantra 193,962 +19%

Cruze 177,970 -14.5%

Focus 163,864 -7%

Sentra 154,270 +9%

Impreza+WRX+XV 142,351 +20%

Jetta (excluding wagon) 94,793 -4%

Mazda3 82,300 +2.5%

Dart 68,319 +12%

Forte 63,300 +18%

Golf (including Jetta wagon) 52,439 +41%

Compass 46,886 -2%

Verano 25,002 -27%

Again, how bad can this get until the Focus is replaced in another 3 years.

I repeat what I said earlier, an 8 year gap between Redesigns is a recipe for disaster.

Again, how bad can this get until the Focus is replaced in another 3 years.

I repeat what I said earlier, an 8 year gap between Redesigns is a recipe for disaster.

Ford's on track to sell 218,000 Foci this year. Fiat would give their eye teeth to sell that many Dodge Darts.