Ford Motor Company September 2015 Sales Results

ANTAUS

Dealers that want Tauruses aren't getting them. A distinct part of the Taurus sales story is that Ford is sacrificing Taurus volume for Explorer volume

Understood, and you can't blame them. It's great to be able to flex volume like that, but it sucks to turn customers away because you can't produce enough. Gotta wonder if that's the same story with the PI and PIU, or is demand truly dropping there.

Edited by fordmantpw

Dealers that want Tauruses aren't getting them. A distinct part of the Taurus sales story is that Ford is sacrificing Taurus volume for Explorer volume

I was about to ask if we really knew whether that was true nationally or if it was just limited to a few dealers, but I just checked my local large dealer and they have 4 showing on the website and I'm sure at least 1 or 2 of those are in transit.

Focus is really a concern... the sales decline is accelerating. I think Ford needs to give it a 2nd update next year - 1.5 Ecoboost and 6F35 needs to be fast tracked before sales completely collapses. There are all-new Civic, Elantra, and Cruze coming next year - the uncompetitive drivetrain is really going to give Focus a rough time in the market in 2016 and beyond if Ford doesn't address it ASAP.

Escape is showing really good strength ahead of mid cycle refresh, which is a good sign.

I'm not sure what is going on with Fiesta... maybe last year the supply was really low in September? The YTD number is flat...

Focus is really a concern... the sales decline is accelerating. I think Ford needs to give it a 2nd update next year - 1.5 Ecoboost and 6F35 needs to be fast tracked before sales completely collapses. There are all-new Civic, Elantra, and Cruze coming next year - the uncompetitive drivetrain is really going to give Focus a rough time in the market in 2016 and beyond if Ford doesn't address it ASAP.

Escape is showing really good strength ahead of mid cycle refresh, which is a good sign.

I'm not sure what is going on with Fiesta... maybe last year the supply was really low in September? The YTD number is flat...

My co-worker, looking to buy a car for his daughter commented to me - "..we both like the Ford Focus, but they have transmission problems, so we will pass."

Ah - the age of Google! This is evidence that the Focus is being passed over by the non-car lover crowd (Corolla, Civic) as a troublesome vehicle.

I had a Focus rental in August - loved it. My picky wife even commented how nice it was for small car. I could feel the dry clutch - but ti didn't bother me a bit since I knew what it was.

• Like 1

But aren't sales of most C sedans and hatchbacks also down? It's not like the Focus is declining while the rest are increasing (is it?).

Agree they need to make the tranny change soon but it's not the end of the world.

Daughter's 2012 seems to be shuddering now - as soon as it gets bad enough that the dealer can reproduce it I'll take it in for replacement. At least they extended the warranty to 7/100.

• Like 1

But aren't sales of most C sedans and hatchbacks also down? It's not like the Focus is declining while the rest are increasing (is it?).

Agree they need to make the tranny change soon but it's not the end of the world.

Daughter's 2012 seems to be shuddering now - as soon as it gets bad enough that the dealer can reproduce it I'll take it in for replacement. At least they extended the warranty to 7/100.

or, you know, get a manual next time and avoid all of that hassle ;)

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

The interesting thing to me is that Ford really didn't lose any appreciable momentum in the changeover. When Chebbie did their changeover, they stumbled so hard out of the gate that they damn near got caught by Dodge.

I don't think it was the changeover, per se, as much as it was the fact that GM tried to sell their trucks without huge incentives. They found out that nobody wants to buy a Silererra without $5k+ in cash on the hood.

i got that part! that doesn't mean she can't be taught the art of driving a manual!

Want to bet? And it has nothing to do with gender. I can't even get her to use the auto climate control on her Focus. She is the epitome of the strong-willed child.

• Like 1

Want to bet? And it has nothing to do with gender. I can't even get her to use the auto climate control on her Focus. She is the epitome of the strong-willed child.

Now see, you didn't say that! My next move was to point out that my now wife had to teach me how to drive my car when I bought it. She still rubs that in my face every chance she gets.