'17 F-Series Super Duty- Lighter and Stronger

ANTAUS

I'm just bummed I didn't get my beefed up F150 version for the F250. :)

Yes, the weight savings and likely greatly improved ratings are great, but I was hoping more for what they did with the F150. Lighten drastically and keep ratings close to what they were or up slightly. I mean, these are pickups, and we don't all need to tow 7,000,000 lbs! I just think there is a bigger gap between the F150 and the F250 than there should be. I was hoping the F250 would fill a gap between the F150 and F350. Give the F250 the treatment they gave the F150, but give the F350+ the treatment they gave the Super Duty. Make the F250 a 'different' truck than it's bigger brothers.

Who knows, I will reserve final judgement until I see all the details. At any rate, I'm saving my pennies for an '18 or '19 F250. I will need that extra payload to haul them pennies to the dealer. Gas or diesel TBD.

Oh, and no console shifter in the King Ranch? Come on!

Sounds like you want a Nissan Titan XD. :)

Devils advocate, why would they tout the upgraded 6 speed transmission? I hope I am wrong but I don't believe the 10 speed is coming to the SD for the 2017 model year.

Maybe the 10 speed is still coming in 2017 with a new (for Super Duty) engine combo like maybe the 3.5L EcoBoost.

Sounds like you want a Nissan Titan XD. :)

Well, actually, yes, but I want it to have a Ford badge, and without a Cummins. :)

Maybe the 10 speed is still coming in 2017 with a new (for Super Duty) engine combo like maybe the 3.5L EcoBoost.

I'm hopeful. Maybe they haven't shown all their cards yet.

BTW, make sure you snap some pics underneath those F250's today, will ya? Specifically the front suspension. ;)

• Like 2

Well, actually, yes, but I want it to have a Ford badge, and without a Cummins. :)

I'm hopeful. Maybe they haven't shown all their cards yet.

BTW, make sure you snap some pics underneath those F250's today, will ya? Specifically the front suspension. ;)

I will be taking LOTS of pics, you can count on that!

• Like 2

If they make our fleet buy a 250 to get a gas motor, without offering the same cargo capacity as current 350, then i see Ram in our future, yuck. I hope there will be some clarification on this 6.2 in the f250 soon.

My guess is that the new F250 will likely have the same cargo capacity as the outgoing SRW F350.

I don't expect to see a 10 speed transmission in the Super Duty for the foreseeable future. These 10 speeds are for greater fuel economy in light duty applications, they are not Road Rangers! I wouldn't want one anyway, probably too busy downshifting at any slight change in throttle position or grade. I am curious about the new 'TorqShift-G' transmission behind the 6.2. I find that though the current Torqshift 6 transmission is very well suited to the 6.7L Powerstroke, it seems clunky and awkward behind a 6.2L.

No mention of suspension.

If it's going in the F150 there's no reason to think it won't work in a 6.2L SD too. What else could an "upgraded transmission" mean on the smallest engine?

No mention of suspension.

I can almost positively guarantee with complete unwavering certainty that it will have a suspension.

• Like 2

If it's not for "Road Rangers", then why is it in the Raptor?

Road Ranger refers to Fuller heavy duty 10 and 13 speed truck transmissions. Point I am trying to make is that a 10 speed transmission is not necessarily a heavy duty component just because of the number of gears it has Many of these new 10 speed transmissions are light duty units engineered toincrease fuel economy, not pull a large trailer. The 10 speed coming for the F-150 may not be suitable for a truck like the Super Duty.

From what I read on another forum the "new" 6 speed for the 6.2 F250 is just a beefed up F150 transmission, pretty disappointing to see some parts being downgraded in the new SD.

The new Lariats from pictures I see do not have manual locking hubs either. :censored:

Edited by 94bronco

Which leads me to believe there are no changes. They did mention 'changes to the suspension for better ride and handling', but that's it.

I saw a video featuring Joe Hinrichs on Bloomberg and he referred to "heavier" suspensions. In take that to mean higher ratings-type may be the same-just more capacity as a result of heavier components.

Road Ranger refers to Fuller heavy duty 10 and 13 speed truck transmissions. Point I am trying to make is that a 10 speed transmission is not necessarily a heavy duty component just because of the number of gears it has Many of these new 10 speed transmissions are light duty units engineered toincrease fuel economy, not pull a large trailer. The 10 speed coming for the F-150 may not be suitable for a truck like the Super Duty.

I guess the way I would look at that issue is it also is a matter of keeping the engine operating in the optimal RPM band-not so much a matter of it being "Heavy duty" because it has more gears. If the extra gears allow you to drop a gear without going to a higher RPM range-which has to happen if you drop at a given road speed in say a gear that is direct and the next one down is say a .75, you are going to be operating at lower RPM's if say you drop to a .85 for example.

But on the subject of "More gears are better", not sure how it applies to automatics, but in a manual, some would argue that depending on the particular transmission, there can be parasitic loss associated with a more complex gear train.