1.0L Focus impressions

fuzzymoomoo

Power that occurs under boost. Which is my point on the 1.0. That's a small engine meaning it will spool often in regular driving.

If that was the case, every Ecoboost engine would be thirstier than the larger NA engine it replaces.

Under certain circumstances, the Ecoboost engines do give added economy as well as extra power

but I suspect the geometric power delivery is too easy to tip in and use...

Bottom line, buyer expectations have to match fuel economy and performance,

I think the international 1.5 EB Focus is a better combination all around.

Most US drivers would be a little disappointed with the 1.0 EB Focus.

Bottom line, buyer expectations have to match fuel economy and performance,

I think the international 1.5 EB Focus is a better combination all around.

Most US drivers would be a little disappointed with the 1.0 EB Focus.

That's my point.

How does a 3 cyl 1.0 engine give any reasonable performance in regular driving without constant spooling?

In lab tests it's light throttle and easy driving that is not reflective of the real world. This we already know.

That's my point.

How does a 3 cyl 1.0 engine give any reasonable performance in regular driving without constant spooling?

In lab tests it's light throttle and easy driving that is not reflective of the real world. This we already know.

The answer is in the amount of "spooling" or degree of boost and enrichment applied.

Actually find that the official figures are in themselves very telling:

City/Combined/Highway

1.0EB Manual.........29/33/40

2.0 DI Manual..........26/30/36

2.0 DI Powershift......26/30/38

Now, if you're prepared to accept those figures at face value, then in regular driving, there's not that much difference.

I suspect is when the cars are in light cruise steady state on the freeway when economy goes up another 4-5 mpg

As with most incredible economy numbers these day, unless you light pedal the cars everywhere, forget it.

Edited by jpd80

There we go. Quoting numbers from a government test.

Again, I ask how much a 1.0 will move a car when surrounded by 250+ hp cars on all sides. There is a minimum amount of acceleration required in most cities to not get yourself run off the road.

Great engine for a Fiesta. Not a Focus.

Again, I ask how much a 1.0 will move a car when surrounded by 250+ hp cars on all sides. There is a minimum amount of acceleration required in most cities to not get yourself run off the road.

Have you test drove a Focus 1.0L EcoBoost?

Test drive one, I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.

My parents 2008 Focus has 136 ft/lbs of torque, 2600lb vehicle. The new 1.0 EB has 125, for about 3000lb curb weight. Probably noticeable, but it will move just fine.

Owning a 2008 Focus, 2015 2.0 Focus and having test driven the 1.0EB, I can tell you from personal experience that you don't even notice. Downshift the 1.0 from 6th to 3rd and it really gives you a good kick in the pants. We were seriously considering the 1.0 had it not been for the decided lack of features we wanted.

• Like 1

In other markets, the 1.0 EB actually replaces the 1.6 TiVCT,

Having driven the two, I'd take the 1.0 EB over a 1.5 TiVCT any day.

And yeah, it keeps up fine in the traffic.

Edited by jpd80