1.0L Focus impressions

fuzzymoomoo

The 6F locks up in all gears.

I know that Ford changed the 6F55 (EB) that included lock up in lower gears

but I can't find anything confirming that the smaller 6F30 and 6F50 also do that.

When originally delivered, they didn't lock up in low gears.

Again Expect the 7DCT from Getrag, or look at new CVT for light weight cost conscious vehicles.

Hmmm, not sure whether this wet clutch 7-speed will be the alternative to new small 8 or 9-speed auto in smaller vehicles,

it could team well with 1.0 EB, 1.2 EB and 1.5 EB... so yeah, it may work much better in eyes of Ford but what about US buyers?

You can't make someone like something they don't like or don't trust...

I know that Ford changed the 6F55 (EB) that included lock up in lower gears

but I can't find anything confirming that the smaller 6F30 and 6F50 also do that.

When originally delivered, they didn't lock up in low gears.

I cannot imagine they haven't added it yet.

Hmmm, not sure whether this wet clutch 7-speed will be the alternative to new small 8 or 9-speed auto in smaller vehicles,

it could team well with 1.0 EB, 1.2 EB and 1.5 EB... so yeah, it may work much better in eyes of Ford but what about US buyers?

You can't make someone like something they don't like or don't trust...

The 6F weighs Between 102-104kg (wet) the current powershift 75kg (dry), 7DCT300 68kg.

Span on the 6F maximum of 6:1 7DCT300 is up to 8.6.

Like I have said many times before not all DCTs are created the same.

They are cheaper, lighter and more efficient than Traditional ATX.

HMM....

Available 1.0-Liter EcoBoost®Engine

The 1.0L gasoline, direct-injection, turbocharged EcoBoost® is the first-ever three-cylinder engine from Ford. Available with 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmissions.*

• EPA-estimated rating of 30 city/42 highway/35 combined mpg. Available 1.0L EcoBoost® I-3 with auto start stop technology and 6-speed manual. Actual mileage will vary.
  • EPA-estimated rating of 28 city/40 highway/3 combined mpg. Available 1.0L EcoBoost® I-3 hatch with auto start stop technology, 6-speed PowerShift® automatic capability and SE EcoBoost® Appearance Package. Actual mileage will vary.
  • Turbocharged direct injection
  • Oil-immersed timing belt
  • Variable-pressure oil pump improves fuel efficiency
  • Stiff, yet compact block to reduce vibrations
  • 1.0L EcoBoost engine has 123 horsepower and 125 lb.-ft. of torque.
... Less
*1.0L EcoBoost Engine with 6-speed automatic transmission is only available with SE EcoBoost Appearance Package. 1.0L EcoBoost Engine with 6-speed manual transmission is available as a stand-alone option. **Actual mileage will vary †With manual transmission

that is why you fix them so they are operating properly and up to the expectations of the customer.

I take it you have driven the DCT in the Focus 2.0 as well as a few wet clutch examples from VW,

I have and while I don't mind the DSG/Powershifts, the problem is that they are not the same as an automatic

Trying to force automatic buyer to "like" a powershift is giving those buyers a reason to walk to another manufacturer.

Edited by jpd80

Ford updated the Build and Price to confirm that it will be using the 6f35 not the DSP6/6DCT250 used in the 2.0 focus.

The Ford Europe Focus specification sheet show it is the 6F15 paired with the 1.0L EcoBoost 125hp

Gear ratios

6th 0.746 5th 1.000 4th 1.446 3rd 1.912 2nd 2.964 1st 4.584 Reverse 2.943 Final Drive 3.44

FoE Focus spec sheets shows the 6F35 paired with the 1.5L EcoBoost 150hp/180hp

Gear ratios

6th 0.746 5th 1.000 4th 1.446 3rd 1.912 2nd 2.048 1st 3.727 Reverse 3.820 Final Drive 4.070

Edited by MKII

Went with the 2.0 because she wanted leather seats (can't get that option on the 1.0) but I think I might get one with he 1.0 if I can manage to pay down the ridiculous balance on my current loan by this time next year. I'm really impressed with how it handles. Way better than my 08 ever has, though that may be a product of it being brand new as opposed to the 65k mine had on it when I got it.

Now if for some reason when they come out with the 1.0 in the TI trim for '17, that would pretty much guarantee me getting one.

I'd love for someone to explain the logic of offering a engine that has 35 fewer HP and a $400 premium for a measly extra 1MPG.

A gain that easily disappears in real world driving.

IMO, a 1.0 is going to be spooling a lot to keep itself going.

Just ask all the F150 owners that have not seen a fuel efficiency gain over the V8.

Power that occurs under boost. Which is my point on the 1.0. That's a small engine meaning it will spool often in regular driving.

Obviously, but the question was fuel economy and even under "boost" the 3.5L EB gets better mileage than the old 6.2L. Or look at it this way - you get the same mileage as the 5.0L but you get more power and more performance (towing e.g.).

• Like 1

Obviously, but the question was fuel economy and even under "boost" the 3.5L EB gets better mileage than the old 6.2L. Or look at it this way - you get the same mileage as the 5.0L but you get more power and more performance (towing e.g.).

My truck has a 6.2L and I only average about 10 to 12 mpg (mostly city driving) and I get about 8 mpg while towing my travel trailer. A friend of mine has a 3.5L EcoBoost and averages around 17 mpg (mostly city driving) and gets about 7 to 8 while towing a similar, but lighter travel trailer than mine. Luckily, I don't have to drive my truck daily because I have a company car, so I don't have to care about gas mileage. But if I did, I would definitely choose the 3.5L EcoBoost over the 6.2L. Since I don't, I will enjoy the lovely music that 6.2L makes at WOT. ;)

My truck has a 6.2L and I only average about 10 to 12 mpg (mostly city driving) and I get about 8 mpg while towing my travel trailer. A friend of mine has a 3.5L EcoBoost and averages around 17 mpg (mostly city driving) and gets about 7 to 8 while towing a similar, but lighter travel trailer than mine.

Exactly my point.

• Like 1