1.0L Focus impressions

fuzzymoomoo

The time has come and we are replacing the wife's ride with a focus hatch. We both are curious about the 1.0EB but neither of us have any experience with the EB engines. Ore primary concern is it being underpowered.

We are taking one on a test drive Friday, but would like some feedback on what to expect. Thoughts?

I rented a 1.0L EcoBoost Focus manual wagon (!) in Germany last July. I was impressed with its smoothness, acceleration, and overall handling. I didn't realize it was the 1.0L until the end of the rental period, and I could swear it was the 1.5L. It has more than enough power for everyday use, and it easily reached 200 km/h on the Autobahn. I was also impressed with the fit and finish, and the manual shifter was one of the smoothest I've ever used.

The time has come and we are replacing the wife's ride with a focus hatch. We both are curious about the 1.0EB but neither of us have any experience with the EB engines. Ore primary concern is it being underpowered.

We are taking one on a test drive Friday, but would like some feedback on what to expect. Thoughts?

Did you take the test drive? It has quite a bit less horsepower and torque then the 2.0 NA on paper, but paper doesn't always equal real world results. I've always wondered however if an I-3 would be as smooth as an I-4. There is something about an odd number of cylinders that has always turned me off.

We did take the test drive, and once we got used to the way the clutch behaves (it's MUCH different than the 2.0) it was really nice. I was shocked at how much get up and go power it had. It's a much smoother engine than you would think for being only a 3 cylinder, and has a decent growl to it when you step on it.

Unfortunately we won't be buying one though, since Ford apparently doesn't want to give people who actually want the 1.0 any features to pick from so we decided to go with the 2.0 and be able to get some of the options we wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

Unfortunately we won't be buying one though, since Ford apparently doesn't want to give people who actually want the 1.0 any features to pick from so we decided to go with the 2.0 and be able to get some of the options we wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

I never understood that either. The 1.0 should be an option for all models.

• Like 2

I never understood that either. The 1.0 should be an option for all models.

I think you misunderstood me. If you get the 1.0, you are very severely limited in options beyond a moonroof and winter package. That's pretty much it. You might as well be getting a base S model. For the premium they charge for the ecoboost, you might as well get the 2.0 as a few add-ons to go with it, plus the lease prices are far more attractive.

It is odd that Ford N.A. really limits how one can spec the Focus 1.0L EB.

On the build your own site the powertrain is the 2nd last option to choose which is really strange as the powertrain choice

is the main element that decides what trim level, features etc the consumer can get.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

When Ford limits powertrains like that it's usually either a supply issue or CAFE, and I'm pretty sure it's not negative on CAFE, so it must be a supply issue.

You're probably right. The 1.0 is one of the best selling engines worldwide AFAIK. I wonder if they fixed some of the supply constraints since they are offering it with an automatic for 2016 instead of just manual only like they did with 2015.

When Ford limits powertrains like that it's usually either a supply issue or CAFE, and I'm pretty sure it's not negative on CAFE, so it must be a supply issue.

Isn't the SE the more popular choice in USA though. Why not offer it in the not as popular Titanium if it is a supply issue, which probably is the issue.

Edited by MKII

The lack of a Automatic, makes ford reluctant to increase the number of variations on the power-pack. The likely hood of a Dealer being Stuck with a manual EB10 is higher than your average Focus, they are reluctant to increase it future with more Expensive variations.

This is why I would lean towards the Fiesta with the EB10 than the Focus, because You can get the engine is a better equipped vehicle.

The lack of a Automatic, makes ford reluctant to increase the number of variations on the power-pack. The likely hood of a Dealer being Stuck with a manual EB10 is higher than your average Focus

You can get the 1.0 with an automatic in the Focus. And is not one of those DCT's so that's a bonus.

Not in the US.

what is the point of The EB 10 ATX with crappier fuel economy than the 2.0 with the DCT.

My mistake. You can't get a '15 with the auto, but you can for '16.

It's coming.

And I would buy one just to get away from the DCT.

Edited by Pioneer

I'm no expert. Far from it. I just know that the DCT is a problem. Guy at work is having one bought back. My step-brother too.

I got an estimate for flooring in my house. The guy was driving a Focus and I made the mistake of asking how he liked it. Talked for 10 minutes about the problems with his transmission.

That transmission is going to hurt Ford's small car sales for years.

• Like 3

I'm no expert. Far from it. I just know that the DCT is a problem. Guy at work is having one bought back. My step-brother too.

I got an estimate for flooring in my house. The guy was driving a Focus and I made the mistake of asking how he liked it. Talked for 10 minutes about the problems with his transmission.

The 6F means 37 maybe 38MPG, from the 1.0.

That's why we just signed the papers for a manual. Fuck that DCT.
  • Like 1