Ford Motor Company August 2015 Sales Results

akirby

I'm seeing more and more Fords driving around this import snobbish area here in the Silicon Valley, especially Edges and Explorers. It has been very noticeable the last few months. I'm seeing tons of new Mustangs, and it's kind of cool see all the new F150s with Browning Buckmark stickers too, in the land of Priuses and Leafs.

P.S. If you're a LEO and not driving a Ford PIU you are wishing you were. All the LEOs I've talked to LOVE them, and either have, want or are counting the days till they get one. The CHP will probably be ALL PUI by the end of the year, you hardly see any Panthers anymore.

Edited by traxiii

note to everyone commenting on Hyundai's 100k warranty....from what I have heard, its FULL of restrictions....

I went from a Sonata to my Focus and never had any issues with warranty work. Granted, it only needed warranty work once or twice, but never had a peep from the service folks over paying for anything covered by warranty. It may have been the things I had fixed (which at this point I don't even remember) that didn't trigger any red tape though.

note to everyone commenting on Hyundai's 100k warranty....from what I have heard, its FULL of restrictions....

A good friend of mine is actually one of the top salesman at the local Kia dealer and I asked him about that very thing. He informed me that

1. No you don't have to get all your service work done at the dealership (i.e. oil changes etc). You can have that stuff done anywhere you like.

2. No they won't negate your warranty if you do have service done elsewhere.

3. Hyundai / Kia really do just offer a 100K power train warranty no questions asked.

• Like 1

Is there a chance the 1.5eb will make its way to the Focus before the next refresh/platform update? We always say Ford engine and platform development are detached from each other.

Another thing, I think the Focus Titanium should get (at least as an option) the 2.0eb and have the 6f also available. The Titanium is a slick looking package, but at the asking price 160hp seems a bit underwhelming.

Also, maybe some Titanium specific features could be made available in some lower trim levels to spark more interest.

I know some here want Focus as the US #1 selling car and more manual trans wagons all over, but this ain't diesel loving EU. Can't make SUV's "illegal".

OTOH, I would only get an Escape if I had to work in Minnesota or hilly states with snow. In flat Chicago, only "need" AWD maybe 3-5 days a year, FWD is fine for common snowy days. If it's so bad, stay off the roads.

In dry states, those that want SUV's desire the sight lines to see traffic and change lanes quick.

Is there a chance the 1.5eb will make its way to the Focus before the next refresh/platform update? We always say Ford engine and platform development are detached from each other.

Another thing, I think the Focus Titanium should get (at least as an option) the 2.0eb and have the 6f also available. The Titanium is a slick looking package, but at the asking price 160hp seems a bit underwhelming.

Also, maybe some Titanium specific features could be made available in some lower trim levels to spark more interest.

Nothing in the focus below the ST is getting the 2.0EB

I know some here want Focus as the US #1 selling car and more manual trans wagons all over, but this ain't diesel loving EU. Can't make SUV's "illegal".

OTOH, I would only get an Escape if I had to work in Minnesota or hilly states with snow. In flat Chicago, only "need" AWD maybe 3-5 days a year, FWD is fine for common snowy days. If it's so bad, stay off the roads.

In dry states, those that want SUV's desire the sight lines to see traffic and change lanes quick.

You're right but the wagon is the most attractive Focus model - http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/international/cc-rental-car-review-2015-ford-focus-tournier-1-5-l-ecoboost-eu-version/

• Like 1

In flat Chicago, only "need" AWD maybe 3-5 days a year, FWD is fine for common snowy days. If it's so bad, stay off the roads.

So very true. I drove thousands and thousands of miles in Chicagoland long before AWD, or SUVs for that matter, were common. I can't think of many scenarios in which AWD would have been genuinely beneficial to motorists in that region. In the cold weather months, a good set of winter tires is more important.

Extreme weather events like the blizzard of '67 resulted in an almost complete halt to non-emergency travel anyway.

Edited by aneekr

A good friend of mine is actually one of the top salesman at the local Kia dealer and I asked him about that very thing. He informed me that

1. No you don't have to get all your service work done at the dealership (i.e. oil changes etc). You can have that stuff done anywhere you like.

2. No they won't negate your warranty if you do have service done elsewhere.

3. Hyundai / Kia really do just offer a 100K power train warranty no questions asked.

When it comes to warranties, I have nothing but praise for Hyundai/Kia, the cars are pretty reliable to start with.

(Well done on you Mustang warranty deal, that's the type of thing the majors should be pushing - perceived value)

NEWS FLASH...expect SMOKING deals on Fusions, Fords pushing them HARD....the leases are outrageously low with programs such as $4300 in rebates w 0.25 Money factors on a 36 months SE lease that now has a $1685 discount package...they are also shipping an inordinate amount of Hybrids..........

Has Ford continued the stair step incentives "Volume Growth Bonus Program" ?

Restrictions are the largely the same as other manufacturers, as Blackhorse explained. Hyundai and Kia (plus Mitsubishi Motors) simply warranty their new vehicles longer than everyone else. Here's a summary of the what's not covered:

• Wear items, such as clutch lining, brake pads/shoes, and wiper blades (these are covered for 1 year/12k miles)
  • Tires (covered by separate warranties)
  • Normal deterioration or fading of paint, soft trim, cosmetic and appearance items
  • Environmental damage, such as airborne fallout, salt, water, flooding, hail, windstorm, lightning, extreme temperatures, or any other environmental cause
  • Damage due to lack of maintenance or failure to follow instructions
  • Damaged due to objects striking the vehicle, road hazards, accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of HMA
  • Any part which malfunctions, fails, or is damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the vehicle such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by HMA
  • Damage to any component that is the result of operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event

These provisions mirror those of nearly all other manufacturers; Subaru is alone in covering certain wear items like clutch lining for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty. Also, the HMA 10 year/100k mi powertrain warranty transfers in full only to immediate family members of the vehicle owners; other secondhand owners get 5 year/60k mile coverage.

A friend had a Kia Sorrento, and her exterior door handle broke off. Dealership claimed it was wear and tear, mind you this is 3 weeks into ownership. Having to bite the bullet she went ahead and paid to repair it...at $480 dollars. And then it was this, and it was that....2 years into it she just went ahead and even though she was upside down she just paid just to be done with the damn vehicle and swore off Korean. Once you own them, people will migrate to something else after. The only repeat buyers I see them have are people I know have horrible credit and are stuck in the loop of continuing to buy them.

NEWS FLASH...expect SMOKING deals on Fusions, Fords pushing them HARD....the leases are outrageously low with programs such as $4300 in rebates w 0.25 Money factors on a 36 months SE lease that now has a $1685 discount package...they are also shipping an inordinate amount of Hybrids..........

I'm surprised no one commented on this. I hope the Fusion is not on its way to becoming the next 2000's Taurus. I thought Ford's strategy was not to discount them like the old days.

I think the Mazda 3 maintains it's handling and reliability is because it's the same platform since 2005. IIRC, the only major changes were the 'SkyActiv' powerplants.

Mazda made Significant Revisions to the New 3, new suspension, longer wheelbase, rerouting of the Exhaust below the IRS.

there is alot more sharing of part between the 3 and 6 than in the previous generation car

• Like 2

I'm surprised no one commented on this. I hope the Fusion is not on its way to becoming the next 2000's Taurus. I thought Ford's strategy was not to discount them like the old days.

It appears the customer of a C/D sedan is loyal to their brand such as Toyota, Honda for example. Asking them to change could be like switching political affiliations or asking us to switch to GM! It could mean that they are not looking to purchase new every 5 years. It also brings up the point that Mid and full size sedans are not the preffered choice right now. It could also mean that Ford has to clear to make room for the refresh coming up.

It's hard to plan when economic forces are changing quickly I suppose and I don`t know if Ford planned for this. It could also mean the Fusion itself is not good enough in its market but I don`t think so. I admit I`m biased but what I have read and talked to Fusion owners is that they are satisfied with their purchase. Not real evidence of course.

I wouldn't worry about it till it more then just a month or two long. Look at the hemming and hawing over the "super" discounts on the 2015 F-150...that was limited to one model.

Like other people have said, CUVs and trucks are very hot now...

Mulally is gone, its Fields going back to the (lazy marketing) old ways IMO.

Edited by MKII

@atomcat...its LITERALLY the only car we have a good supply of....and Im also guessing it will help Fords CAFE ratings significantly.....Stepdaughter now driving an SE, D Plan with ZERO out of pocket 12000 miles was under $200 a month with Tech package 2.5 engine...same payment as her Fiesta....no brainer given the trans was becoming questionable @ 70000 miles and trust was non existent.....also, my gut on this is theres a MCE coming up and they need to move stockpiles of the current front ends etc....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

A friend had a Kia Sorrento, and her exterior door handle broke off. Dealership claimed it was wear and tear, mind you this is 3 weeks into ownership. Having to bite the bullet she went ahead and paid to repair it...at $480 dollars. And then it was this, and it was that....2 years into it she just went ahead and even though she was upside down she just paid just to be done with the damn vehicle and swore off Korean. Once you own them, people will migrate to something else after. The only repeat buyers I see them have are people I know have horrible credit and are stuck in the loop of continuing to buy them.

You friend's experience with her Kia Sorento, while unfortunate, is not representative of that brand overall. Both Kia and Hyundai ranked among the top 5 brands in owner loyalty last year according to Experian Automotive Loyalty and Trends Market Report, and these two brands were the highest rated non-luxury brands in J.D. Power's IQS for 2015.